This weekends matches 2018/2019 - Page 50 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This weekends matches 2018/2019

7 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

But it doesn't enhance the enjoyment. It causes folk to act like bams. 

And if you can't have a steak without a drink then yes do sound like there's a problem. 

It enhances the enjoyment for many. Watered down beer will also stop many from being out of order. 

You’re missing the point on the steak. It’s not about needing red wine - it’s still about enhancing the experience.

Edited by SMcoolJ

17 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

It enhances the enjoyment for many. Watered down beer will also stop many from being out of order. 

You’re missing the point on the steak. It’s not about needing red wine - it’s still about enhancing the experience.

Exactly. 

It says more about RB's attitude to alcohol that he thinks people "need" it at the football. 

Aye, if I go and see a show or a concert, I might have a drink, I might not bother, but I have that choice available to me.

Although just when you think football fans deserve to be treated like adults, you get a game like last night.

I’m on the fence with it for that reason, I worry that the minority ruin it.

If it was phased in gradually, the initial novelty wouldn’t be so much and it would gradually just become the norm.

I see some EFL sides are looking to be allowed to take your drink to your seat. Which does seem a logical step. (If you buy a pint at half time you have about 6 minutes to drink it under the current rules if you want to be back in your seat for 2nd half.) but the 1st half full plastic pint tumbler that comes on the park there will be meltdown!

40 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Quite frankly if you can't manage to attend a game without drinking the expensive pish water, so eloquently described by Parkie, then you've got a serious problem. 

Or you're watching Scotland. 🤔

I can manage to attend a game without a lot of things. Standing in the ground, safe in the knowledge I won't miss kick off, and having a beer and chatting to my mates enhances the experience though. Isn't attending football a leisure activity? Isn't it supposed to be enjoyable? 

I do it in every other country I've attended a match but I can't do that in Scotland. Are Scottish people so completely unique that theyre the only ones who can't have a beer at games? 

44 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Any cunt saying Lennon brings it on himself needs coined themselves. It’s hilarious how folk stand and shout obscenities at players and managers then think it’s a free for all when they give a wee bit back.

its also extremely difficult being a Northern Irish catholic is Scottish football. Let’s not hide from the reason why this happened.

I agree with your general point about hurling abuse for 90 minutes, then losing the plot when someone gives a bit back.

Don’t agree with the rest. The abuse Neil Lennon gets is largely down to his persona, nothing to do with where he’s from. There’s been loads of Northern Irish players at fir park and the only reason I know anything about their religion is because one was a massive Christian in some church they only have in Hull and Motherwell, and Colin O’neil because he was a raging bigot. It’s not an issue for other northern Irish people as best I know.

Did you see the footage from last night? It doesn’t excuse what happens, but any manager who behaves like that is going to attract that sort of attention from idiots in the crowd.

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I agree with your general point about hurling abuse for 90 minutes, then losing the plot when someone gives a bit back.

Don’t agree with the rest. The abuse Neil Lennon gets is largely down to his persona, nothing to do with where he’s from. There’s been loads of Northern Irish players at fir park and the only reason I know anything about their religion is because one was a massive Christian in some church they only have in Hull and Motherwell, and Colin O’neil because he was a raging bigot. It’s not an issue for other northern Irish people as best I know.

Did you see the footage from last night? It doesn’t excuse what happens, but any manager who behaves like that is going to attract that sort of attention from idiots in the crowd.

Spot on. I’m fed up hearing and reading the garbage about him being a NI Catholic. The guy is a fucking knobhead. There are plenty before him who were NI Catholics. I’d like Lennon to answer why I and countless other Catholics in Scotland can’t stand him. 

Nobody, deserves attacked at a bloody game of football though. 

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

?Any cunt saying Lennon brings it on himself needs coined themselves. It’s hilarious how folk stand and shout obscenities at players and managers then think it’s a free for all when they give a wee bit back.

its also extremely difficult being a Northern Irish catholic is Scottish football. Let’s not hide from the reason why this happened.

Does that not count for Shay Logan giving a wee bit back at celtic end of last season or is the treatment he got from celtic fans & at that game celtic players different ?

1 minute ago, RDFH64 said:

Does that not count for Shay Logan giving a wee bit back at celtic end of last season or is the treatment he got from celtic fans & at that game celtic players different ?

In the words of Ali G,

”is it coz he is black?”

(topical reference there.)

3 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Don’t be silly. Lennon’s a Celtic minded cafflick. 😒

3 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Your original post said "if you can't enjoy a steak without a wine". I took that to mean you had to have it. Not you personally, the hypothetical person. 

If you have to have a wine or can't do something without one, it is a problem. 

If you are just choosing to do it sometimes and not others that's different. Its also not what I took your previous post to mean. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

I can manage to attend a game without a lot of things. Standing in the ground, safe in the knowledge I won't miss kick off, and having a beer and chatting to my mates enhances the experience though. Isn't attending football a leisure activity? Isn't it supposed to be enjoyable? 

I do it in every other country I've attended a match but I can't do that in Scotland. Are Scottish people so completely unique that theyre the only ones who can't have a beer at games? 

People in Britain do seem to have an issue with alcohol. I've no idea if we're worse than other European countries on this front or not. 

Games like the one at Tynecastle last night certainly don't help the argument. 

6 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

People in Britain do seem to have an issue with alcohol. I've no idea if we're worse than other European countries on this front or not. 

Years of no sunshine. Why do you think Seattle in the States has the highest amount of US junkies?

I’ll ask this question....if Neil is Asian would he suffer the same disgusting abuse?

Sadly, despite all the “its not his religion that causes this” we all know the answer and those who’ll answer “no” are part of Scotland’s massive issue.

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

Spot on. I’m fed up hearing and reading the garbage about him being a NI Catholic. The guy is a fucking knobhead. There are plenty before him who were NI Catholics. I’d like Lennon to answer why I and countless other Catholics in Scotland can’t stand him. 

Nobody, deserves attacked at a bloody game of football though. 

If Lennon hadn’t been hit by a coin there’d have been huge condemnation of his behaviour and probably a word from the Police. 

29 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I’ll ask this question....if Neil is Asian would he suffer the same disgusting abuse?

Sadly, despite all the “its not his religion that causes this” we all know the answer and those who’ll answer “no” are part of Scotland’s massive issue.

Until we see an Asian player or manager act like he does, we’ll never know. 

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Sooo... your argument is that because some idiot (who we've no idea if they'd consumed alcohol and if he did, it was OUTSIDE THE STADIUM anyway...) misbehaved at a football match, every single football fan in Scotland should not be allowed to have a beer with their mates inside a ground. They can go and have 15 pints at a pub next to the ground though for 1/2 the cost. 

Top work. With that kind of nonsensical logic, you should be in politics. 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Lennon should not have things thrown at him or be attacked. No one here is arguing differently from that. 

However, he clearly does love to engage in behaviours that will rile opposing fans up. I'd say this is because he's so passionate and wants to win so much. I think most of the time Lennon knows where the line between banter and going too far is, and generally stays the right side of it. Unfortunately he's coming up against morons who do not know where the line is. 

If i were Lennon, i'd stop the banter with opposing fans in the hope that it quells the abuse. He hasn't so far though, so i doubt he ever will. 

9 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

He's entitled to give it back as well. He's better known for that than his football ability anyway.

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Your original post said "if you can't enjoy a steak without a wine". I took that to mean you had to have it. Not you personally, the hypothetical person. 

If you have to have a wine or can't do something without one, it is a problem. 

If you are just choosing to do it sometimes and not others that's different. Its also not what I took your previous post to mean. 

The red wine analogy was simply trying to highlight that your implication (that if people want a drink then they somehow need it) was incorrect and that there’s a huge difference between wanting and needing.

Someone else mentioned it - it’s also about choices. I’d also just like to have the option of a beer at the football. I certainly don’t need it. 

As regards alcohol being sold in our grounds, I see more pros than cons. I guess it boils down to the fact that some will take it too far, but that’s the case for most things in life. 

4 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

The red wine analogy was simply trying to highlight that your implication (that if people want a drink then they somehow need it) was incorrect and that there’s a huge difference between wanting and needing.

Someone else mentioned it - it’s also about choices. I’d also just like to have the option of a beer at the football. I certainly don’t need it. 

As regards alcohol being sold in our grounds, I see more pros than cons. I guess it boils down to the fact that some will take it too far, but that’s the case for most things in life. 

You could argue that having alcohol available at the ground would cut down on the pre match binge but against the backdrop of Wednesday I don't hold out much hope of it happening any time soon.

My angle on this is revenue for the clubs. If it can be controlled and clubs make it a decent slection at decent prices. Then surely 'decent' fans should be able to enjoy a pint at the game. Make it a membership thing. But benefitting both club and the decent fans. I am going to hamilton tomorrow amnd will see the box guys drinking until kick off. These people are known so if out of order will het hauled up. Is this too simplistic?

8 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Yes because crowd trouble here is so much worse than in continental Europe.

Look at Italy/Germany/France/Holland and you'll see far, far worse crowd trouble on a weekly basis.

24 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Exactly. I like a pie and bovril at half time at the football, especially in winter as it enhances my enjoyment of half time. I could easily go without it though. I don't have a problem with pies or Bovril.

Same goes with having a pint before a game, I enjoy a pint with mates as it enhances my day in exactly the same way a nice glass of red compliments a good steak or pasta dish. Don't need it but it adds to the experience in a positive manner.

I can't believe RB can't get his head round that analogy......I think he's just being obtuse.