Rome - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rome

Ormond

Going to do it for one day in November. I know, a day is laughable to do a place like Rome but if I can see the Colosseum and the Vatican I’ll be happy. My flight from Bari and back is only 80 dollars so I’m going for it.

Who has been and what would you recommend to try and fit in a one day here? 

Edited by Ormond

Colosseum and the Vatican is do'able, but will just be flying visits and not seeing them for how good they are..... you could easily spend 2/3's of the day in the Vatican.

Really, its one or the other..... personally, I would do St. Peter's Square, and then head across to the Colosseum and Forum, as you will spend a lot of time queuing up to get into the Vatican, whereas lines at the Colosseum will be much shorter and the Forum is nice to walk around.

One place slightly off the beaten track I would do is Capuchin Crypt beneath the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini (basically the whole chapel is made up of bones!) really cool place to visit.

If you do the Colosseum, go for something to eat in Li Rioni (Via Dei Santissimi Quattro 24) one of my favorite restaurants in the whole of Rome 👍

I’d guess I’d arrive into the Colosseum at 10amish. How long for a wander in there? What time would I have to leave there to stroll through the Roman forums area upto the Vatican? I just fancy sticking my neb into the Cistine to see Mickey Angelo’s ceiling. Bearing in mind I have no time limit that day as I fly the next day. 

Edited by Ormond

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I’d guess I’d arrive into the Colloseum at 10amish. How long for a wander in there? What time would I have to leave there to stroll through the Roman forums area upto the Vatican? I just fancy sticking my neb into the Cistine to see Mickey Angelo’s ceiling. Bearing in mind I have no time limit that day as I fly the next day. 

Colosseum starts to get busy around then, so if you are lucky 1-2 hours there to see that, and the Forum you can walk around at your own leisure (word of warning, you will get guides coming up to you offering to take you on a tour.... best to avoid these guys as they take what should be a short 30-45 minute tour and turn it into 2 hours, then expect paid for their time!).

So 10am - 2pm is a fair guesstimate to see this one area of the city, meaning you will be at the Vatican about 3pm, by which time it will be rammed.

Also they are very tricky (or at least were when I have visited the Vatican) as to see the Sistine Chapel, you have to do their tour, and its basically the last thing you see before the tour ends, as you have to go through the museum to get to it.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Also they are very tricky (or at least were when I have visited the Vatican) as to see the Sistine Chapel, you have to do their tour, and its basically the last thing you see before the tour ends, as you have to go through the museum to get to it.

You can book online to skip the queue & walk round the museum at your leisure but it does take ages to get to the actual ceiling.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 11:07 AM, Parklife said:

There's about 100 more interesting things in the Vatican than the Sistene Chapel. Each to their own though. 

If I had longer yes. With the bawhair amount of time by Rome standards that I have it’s just to say I’ve seen the ceiling. 

• 1 month later...

So, ended up booking the high speed early morning train from Bari to Rome. Arriving at 10am into Roma Termini and going back to Bari the next morning now at 8am. So, at least I can relax in Rome getting my head down at night. 

• 5 weeks later...

So, I’m leaving Rome station as I type this bound for Bari. Yesterday in Rome was sensational. A truly great city. I got up from the crack of dawn yesterday and did the Colloseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon, Vatican Museums complete with the Sistine, St. Peter’s Square(no time to see the inside of the Basilica as it was hour long queues), Castel San Angelo and then the Trevi Fountain at night. 

Never set foot in transport all day. I just walked between everywhere stopping off for a chianti every now and again. I absolutely loved the place. Will definitely come back with her and spend more time. 

On 11/14/2018 at 11:05 PM, Ormond said:

So, I’m leaving Rome station as I type this bound for Bari. Yesterday in Rome was sensational. A truly great city. I got up from the crack of dawn yesterday and did the Colloseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon, Vatican Museums complete with the Sistine, St. Peter’s Square(no time to see the inside of the Basilica as it was hour long queues), Castel San Angelo and then the Trevi Fountain at night. 

Never set foot in transport all day. I just walked between everywhere stopping off for a chianti every now and again. I absolutely loved the place. Will definitely come back with her and spend more time. 

did you try the fava beans ?

agree amazing city , tbh i was'nt that keen on going , but ended up booking a flight to catch up with the family circa 2005

i couldnt believe how much ruins/excavations there were in city ; palatine hill?''

i also did a walk to the old chariot racing park  ; circus maximus which is close to colloseum ; used to hold 200k ; they used it for u2 concerts etc

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i also did a walk to the old chariot racing park  ; circus maximus which is close to colloseum ; used to hold 200k ; they used it for u2 concerts etc

I never knew U2 had been on the go that long. Would love to have a pint with Bono, he must have some incredible stories. 

• 2 weeks later...