The Mighty Rangers - Page 50 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Rangers

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I’m in 2 minds between wanting a favourable draw in the next round to go one better than last season (although no “easy” games) or getting a big gun to see how we’ve progressed. 

Looks like Leicester are going out as it stands, a tie against Arsenal, Spurs or Man U would certainly be a good benchmark to see how much you’ve progressed. 

3 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Looks like Leicester are going out as it stands, a tie against Arsenal, Spurs or Man U would certainly be a good benchmark to see how much you’ve progressed. 

I prefer a molde or Prague. Decent teams but you'd fancy Rangers.

Personally I'd like Villarreal. We did well against them 2 years ago, with a lesser squad. It would be a difficult game as Villarreal are a good side but I think it would be a good tie.

14 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I’m in 2 minds between wanting a favourable draw in the next round to go one better than last season (although no “easy” games) or getting a big gun to see how we’ve progressed. 

Keep winning and you'll eventually get a big gun anyway.

Admirable sportsmanship from Morelos I must say, I'd have been screaming at the telly for him to play on 🤣

There is much to admire in what Rangers have done in Europe not just this season but last as well. With a reasonable draw I can see them going further. Much better to make European progress than win domestic trebles...... Dermot Desmond take note! 

Slavia Prague will be tough but id still consider it a favourable draw at this stage of the competition.

More importantly a few of the remaining big teams or tough away venues have drawn each other so if Rangers do manage to get through then theres a decent chance the next round wont be a big gun either.

I watched Slavia Prague play last night. They looked decent but the foxes were very poor. 

6 minutes ago, stocky said:

Lennon thought that as well....   

A good draw, but not a great one, could have been worse

Was that not Sparta?

Happy enough with Slavia considering who we could have got but not to be underestimated.  Going well in the Czech league and knocking Leicester out needs to be respected.

Slavia Prague are a good team. This is a harder draw than it seems. That said it is still a winnable tie and far better than drawing Man Utd or the like. Outside of Molde, YB or Olympiacos this probably the best draw we could've got.

It's also good the Ukrainian sides got 2 very hard opponents. Shakhtar got Roma and Kiev got Villarreal. Hopefully both go out without picking up any coefficient points.

27 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Slavia Prague are a good team. This is a harder draw than it seems. That said it is still a winnable tie and far better than drawing Man Utd or the like. Outside of Molde, YB or Olympiacos this probably the best draw we could've got.

It's also good the Ukrainian sides got 2 very hard opponents. Shakhtar got Roma and Kiev got Villarreal. Hopefully both go out without picking up any coefficient points.

Or hopefully one goes through (I'll take 2 draws and away goals!) and we knock them out in the quarters! :D

Whats the situation with the coefficient. I read that 10th place gets 1 side straight into group stages next year. Austria are currently in 10th, Scotland 11th and Ukraine 12th.

How did Rangers 2 wins affect things? Do Austria have any teams left and if not what would it take in terms of results to go above them?

16 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Whats the situation with the coefficient. I read that 10th place gets 1 side straight into group stages next year. Austria are currently in 10th, Scotland 11th and Ukraine 12th.

How did Rangers 2 wins affect things? Do Austria have any teams left and if not what would it take in terms of results to go above them?

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2021.html

is probably the best resource. Not sure on the Champions league stuff. I know we have already qualified for next year, as we cant be caught by the third placed team. Must be two Scottish teams in it next year then, on that basis.

18 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

It seems to change every time I read it but I think if we stay in 11th place then we get an automatic team in the group stages the season after next.