Griffiths - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Griffiths

jamboman

On 8/11/2018 at 8:59 PM, SkyBlueScot said:

He was very good against Hungary. He made me think again and I'm sure many others on here as well. Think a lot of folks have forgotten that. Not going to get bags of goals but works hard and does what is asked of him. If Armstrong and McGregor back up a striker whi can hold the ball up we can score goals.

Personally I don't think he was particularly amazing in that game. He did ok and got really lucky for the goal. But at the end of the day it's one half decent performance against what was a very poor side. Against anyone better than us, Phillips has looked pretty lost and done very little.

Admittedly, Albania and Israel are much lower ranked than us.. so it's possible he could do a job against them.. but tbh.. we should really be playing 2 up and putting both of those sides to the sword. They are really pretty poor teams, and if we end up playing Phillips as a lone striker against them then we're just setting ourselves up for failure.

7 hours ago, andyD said:

Personally I don't think he was particularly amazing in that game. He did ok and got really lucky for the goal. But at the end of the day it's one half decent performance against what was a very poor side. Against anyone better than us, Phillips has looked pretty lost and done very little.

Admittedly, Albania and Israel are much lower ranked than us.. so it's possible he could do a job against them.. but tbh.. we should really be playing 2 up and putting both of those sides to the sword. They are really pretty poor teams, and if we end up playing Phillips as a lone striker against them then we're just setting ourselves up for failure.

Really lucky for the goal? Get yourself some glasses mate. 

The defender missed the cross. How is that really lucky?

I’m not Phillip’s biggest fan by any means but you, sir, are talking absolute bollocks. 

15 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Really lucky for the goal? Get yourself some glasses mate.  

The defender missed the cross. How is that really lucky?

I’m not Phillip’s biggest fan by any means but you, sir, are talking absolute bollocks. 

My memory of it is that it bounces off the defenders ass and lands at Phillips' feet.

Is that not what happened?

1 hour ago, andyD said:

My memory of it is that it bounces off the defenders ass and lands at Phillips' feet.

Is that not what happened?

There might have been a slight deflection off the defender before it reached Phillips but that makes it a better goal for me. It’s harder to react to a deflection than an ordinary cross. 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, andyD said:

True enough. Problem for me right now is what system to play. But we do have some depth in each position.

GK: Gordon, McGregor
RB: Paterson, O'Donnell
LB: Robertson, Tierney, Douglas
CB: Mulgrew, McKenna, Hendry, Berra, (Tierney)
DM: McTominay, McDonald, Jack, Shinnie
CM: Armstrong, McGregor, Cairney
RW-LW: Fraser, Russell, Snod, Ritchie, Forrest, Phillips
ST: Griffiths, McBurnie, Fletch, Rhodes

Feels like we can take a couple of injuries and still be ok. CB is still a weakness, but we've still got Hanley, Lindsey not on that list, and possibly Devlin? Seems to have recovered from injury and done well enough in the three games so far this season against decent opposition. If he keeps that up he'll come into the picutre more likely than not.

Missed out John Mcginn and James Mccarthur who are much better than McTominay, McDonald, Jack and Shinnie.

7 hours ago, jamboman said:

Griffiths looked well off it yesterday. Maybe it was they way celtic were playing but he seemed well short of match sharpness, they sharpness we need.

read Mcleish was concerned too about lack of game time. 

Phillips it is

I’d be amazed and concerned if McLeish wasn’t concerned about Griffiths not playing. 

He has started Celtic’s last two matches and hasn’t scored but I’m not sure how he played though as I only saw some of last night’s game. 

There’s still almost 4 weeks until the Albania game though so Celtic will have another 4 or 5 games between then and now. I’m not sure how long Edouard and Dembele are our for but I’m sure Griffiths will play some games and score over the next couple of weeks. 

I wouldn’t write him off yet. 

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’d be amazed and concerned if McLeish wasn’t concerned about Griffiths not playing. 

He has started Celtic’s last two matches and hasn’t scored but I’m not sure how he played though as I only saw some of last night’s game. 

There’s still almost 4 weeks until the Albania game though so Celtic will have another 4 or 5 games between then and now. I’m not sure how long Edouard and Dembele are our for but I’m sure Griffiths will play some games and score over the next couple of weeks. 

I wouldn’t write him off yet. 

As soon as edouard or dembele are fit he'll be benched again

Can't understand why he didn't engineer a move to the championship before the English window shut

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

As soon as edouard or dembele are fit he'll be benched again

Can't understand why he didn't engineer a move to the championship before the English window shut

Maybe he was banking on Dembele leaving. Or maybe he ferlsvhe can fight for his place in the team?

He could still move abroad or even go out on loan in Scotland I suppose but there’s no way Celtic would let that happen when the other two strikers are injured. 

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe he was banking on Dembele leaving. Or maybe he ferlsvhe can fight for his place in the team?

He could still move abroad or even go out on loan in Scotland I suppose but there’s no way Celtic would let that happen when the other two strikers are injured. 

Hard to see that happening. Equally not sure a move abroad would suit him. I think the Championship or low EPL would have been the right move for him, so staying put and fighting for his place seems like the best second option.

3 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Hard to see that happening. Equally not sure a move abroad would suit him. I think the Championship or low EPL would have been the right move for him, so staying put and fighting for his place seems like the best second option.

I agree it’s unlikely but I wouldn’t put it past Lennon to put in a cheeky bid to take him to Hibs on loan.

Wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen from a Scotland point of view in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Good to see him getting on the scoresheet.  Did you see the game? How did he play? 

Not too bad. Let down with some poor decision making by other players that could have resulted in more goals. Took his chance.