Griffiths - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Griffiths

jamboman

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's injured. He'll play games before the Nations League. 

Worth remembering that the majority of our squad haven't played a competitive match yet this season. 

He barely played a competitive match towards the end of last season either.

I love him and rate him highly but if Celtic play 1 upfront it’s never gonna be him even if Dembele goes sadly. 

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Or maybe he loves it where he is and wants to fight for his place rather than spit the dummy and leave? Just a thought.

He loves warming the bench and wasting the rest of his career

15 hours ago, Bino's said:

Tbf dembele will be gone sometime soon which then leaves him and Édouard fighting for the striker spot and given the amount of games Celtic play in a season then you are guaranteed to get a decent amount of game time.

On the upside.. McBurnie played the 90 for Swansea, scored, was unlucky not get a 2nd with a difficult header and showed some good link-up and nice touches.

We want Griff playing ofc, but McBurnie doing well can only be good for us. Hopefully he translates that form into a Scotland shirt, or at the very least his form should push Griff to want to keep his shirt.

8 minutes ago, andyD said:

On the upside.. McBurnie played the 90 for Swansea, scored, was unlucky not get a 2nd with a difficult header and showed some good link-up and nice touches.

We want Griff playing ofc, but McBurnie doing well can only be good for us. Hopefully he translates that form into a Scotland shirt, or at the very least his form should push Griff to want to keep his shirt.

He showed in the Championship last season when on loan at Barnsley that he is good for goals at that level, so hopefully a good season ahead for him, which as you said, will hopefully find it way into the Scotland team.

At the moment though, I suspect in Ecks eye he is tied with Phillips for second choice striker behind Griffiths (but Phillips versatility see's him slightly ahead), but is really encouraging to see some competition for places right across the team, and not a case of which 3 from our 6/7 central midfielders who are on form should we select 

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

is really encouraging to see some competition for places right across the team, and not a case of which 3 from our 6/7 central midfielders who are on form should we select 

True enough. Problem for me right now is what system to play. But we do have some depth in each position.

GK: Gordon, McGregor
RB: Paterson, O'Donnell
LB: Robertson, Tierney, Douglas
CB: Mulgrew, McKenna, Hendry, Berra, (Tierney)
DM: McTominay, McDonald, Jack, Shinnie
CM: Armstrong, McGregor, Cairney
RW-LW: Fraser, Russell, Snod, Ritchie, Forrest, Phillips
ST: Griffiths, McBurnie, Fletch, Rhodes

Feels like we can take a couple of injuries and still be ok. CB is still a weakness, but we've still got Hanley, Lindsey not on that list, and possibly Devlin? Seems to have recovered from injury and done well enough in the three games so far this season against decent opposition. If he keeps that up he'll come into the picutre more likely than not.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

True enough. Problem for me right now is what system to play. But we do have some depth in each position.

GK: Gordon, McGregor
RB: Paterson, O'Donnell
LB: Robertson, Tierney, Douglas
CB: Mulgrew, McKenna, Hendry, Berra, (Tierney)
DM: McTominay, McDonald, Jack, Shinnie
CM: Armstrong, McGregor, Cairney
RW-LW: Fraser, Russell, Snod, Ritchie, Forrest, Phillips
ST: Griffiths, McBurnie, Fletch, Rhodes

Feels like we can take a couple of injuries and still be ok. CB is still a weakness, but we've still got Hanley, Lindsey not on that list, and possibly Devlin? Seems to have recovered from injury and done well enough in the three games so far this season against decent opposition. If he keeps that up he'll come into the picutre more likely than not.

Agree with this i cant help but think McLeish isnt 100% sure on what formation and tactics to play and my worries is that we try and shoehorn Robertson and Tierney into the starting 11 at the detriment to the formation and rest of the starting 11.

I agree its easily arguable that Robertson and Tierney are our 2 best players but its a team game and we need to consider what formation, tactics and starting 11 give us the best chance of winning

I keep flipping between 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1  i feel midfield is our strongest part of the squad and i think 3-5-2 we lose a certain something compared to 4-2-3-1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, Bino's said:

He played more SPL games last season than he did the previous season.

Were you demanding he left Celtic after the England game at Hampden as he wasn't getting a game at club level?

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

He showed in the Championship last season when on loan at Barnsley that he is good for goals at that level, so hopefully a good season ahead for him, which as you said, will hopefully find it way into the Scotland team.

At the moment though, I suspect in Ecks eye he is tied with Phillips for second choice striker behind Griffiths (but Phillips versatility see's him slightly ahead), but is really encouraging to see some competition for places right across the team, and not a case of which 3 from our 6/7 central midfielders who are on form should we select 

For me I think the forward line looks utterly desperate at the moment. Unless Griffiths gets sorted out we're going to struggle. Matt Phillips is not good enough end of and McBurnie is unproven raw potential for international level. I'd have him in the squad right enough but if that's all we've got we are in serious trouble in my opinion  

8 minutes ago, JECK said:

For me I think the forward line looks utterly desperate at the moment. Unless Griffiths gets sorted out we're going to struggle. Matt Phillips is not good enough end of and McBurnie is unproven raw potential for international level. I'd have him in the squad right enough but if that's all we've got we are in serious trouble in my opinion  

Its not perfect, but its getting better, yet I agree with what you say and feel we are missing that one quality striker.

That very might well turn out to be McBurnie, though I am still to be convinced about him, as I feel he looks to Bambi-ish at times with Scotland.

At the moment the shirt is on Griffiths, but if McBurnie can keep himself in the Swansea first team, and get a few more goals, he might just play his way into the starting line up.

Phillips is a good squad player (at best!), but something about him just screams to me that he is the type of striker that Eck enjoyed having in his teams when he was at club football (and would not be shocked if he gets the call).

Also if the likes of Fletcher, Rhodes, Martin and even Russell canhave good starts to the season, they might very well offer us something extra.

Just now its firmly between Griffiths and McBurnie, with a outside chance of Phillips, so time will tell.

19 hours ago, wanderer said:

Also if the likes of Fletcher, Rhodes, Martin and even Russell canhave good starts to the season, they might very well offer us something extra.

The good news is that it looks like they're all going to be playing, other than Martin who probably needs to move.

Rhodes has gone out on loan to Norwich, played the 90 in their first game, and had a couple of decent chances.
Fletch is almost back fit and seems to have the managers confidence, even if there's stiff competition for places still.
Russell out with knock, but it doesn't seem serious. 22 games, 9 goals, 7 assists. Good for the confidence, that's for sure.

Hopefully in a couple of months we'll have some real competition for squad places.

On 8/7/2018 at 1:27 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

He played more SPL games last season than he did the previous season.

Were you demanding he left Celtic after the England game at Hampden as he wasn't getting a game at club level?

He should leave Celtic

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Good, at least the lad is showing ambition and wants to play.  It’s a sad day if the best we have to offer up front is a Celtic reserve.

Were you saying that after he banged in those two freekicks v England or when he pretty much carried the team for the second half of the campaign. Guys hardly celyic reserves either, he's perhaps a little out of favour but will still play games this season given the large volume of games Celtic play.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, JECK said:

Matt Phillips is not good enough end of

He was very good against Hungary. He made me think again and I'm sure many others on here as well. Think a lot of folks have forgotten that. Not going to get bags of goals but works hard and does what is asked of him. If Armstrong and McGregor back up a striker whi can hold the ball up we can score goals.