The Mighty Celtic... - Page 83 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

48 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Fair point.

I feel the current manager saying what Gerard said at Pittodrie is surely more deserving of attention/action than an ex player on Celtic TV.

I guess the key difference is the allegation or implication that there was personal bias involved from the referee and that's a no-no.

From what I recall, Gerrard was critical of the referee's decisions at Pittodrie and went off on new about decisions going against Rangers for years, which was a bit bizarre considering he'd only been at the club for a matter of months.  I don't think he implied the referee himself was biased. 

42 minutes ago, aaid said:

I guess the key difference is the allegation or implication that there was personal bias involved from the referee and that's a no-no.

From what I recall, Gerrard was critical of the referee's decisions at Pittodrie and went off on new about decisions going against Rangers for years, which was a bit bizarre considering he'd only been at the club for a matter of months.  I don't think he implied the referee himself was biased. 

Yes, fair point, the personal nature of these comments make a difference.

I think Rangers were cited over a statement that was aimed at a siecific official (Willie Collum?).

14 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yes, fair point, the personal nature of these comments make a difference.

I think Rangers were cited over a statement that was aimed at a siecific official (Willie Collum?).

Knowing the ridiculousness of some of the statements coming out of Ibrox over the last few years it wouldn't surprise me.

It used to be that any mention of the referee was verboten.   These days, you can criticise the referee's decisions in a game and there'll be no comeback.  If you criticise the referee's competence then depending exactly what you say and how you say it you may or may not get pulled up.  Any suggestion that the referee is biased, cheating or corrupt will almost certainly see you being cited.

4 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Joking apart what is it that Boyd has said that’s incorrect?

I'd say these are the two comments that have gotten Boyd into hot water.

“He’ll probably be welcome down his pub tonight, again.”

“I’m mystified, well I’m not mystified… I’m not mystified, John Beaton, it’s as though it was a premeditated decision not to give that penalty because it was so late in the game, I’m not sure.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I'd say these are the two comments that have gotten Boyd into hot water.

“He’ll probably be welcome down his pub tonight, again.”

“I’m mystified, well I’m not mystified… I’m not mystified, John Beaton, it’s as though it was a premeditated decision not to give that penalty because it was so late in the game, I’m not sure.

What’s incorrect?

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Body’s comments were a bit daft but the whole thing has been blown massively out of proportion. 

I would agree until,Celtic agreed with him. A club questioning a referees integrity is wrong and shouldnt happen

6 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

He said that Beaton was a 12th man for dunfermline, which is incorrect. 

It's also hysterical and paranoid.

Is it? Is it really? When you have a referee with the history of brother Beaton I’m struggling to see what’s incorrect with questions to his integrity. I mean it’s not like he goes drinking in a Hun pub after games or glaringly misses decisions that can be seen by thousands yet not by him from a few feet away is it? 

6 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Is it? Is it really? When you have a referee with the history of brother Beaton I’m struggling to see what’s incorrect with questions to his integrity. I mean it’s not like he goes drinking in a Hun pub after games or glaringly misses decisions that can be seen by thousands yet not by him from a few feet away is it? 

😂

I’m honestly not surprised by this post.

13 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I don't mate, I don't follow Beaton's social life very closely. I'm not some kind of paranoid weirdo.

So folk find it truly acceptable then? This place never ceases to amaze. Imagine a Scotland v England World Cup qualifying match being officiated by a dyed in the wool England fan. I’m no sure it would be acceptable then.

Refereeing should be a global organisation with officials allocated matches so for example a Norwegian could do Hearts match on Saturday with Beaton doing Ajax’s match etc etc.  

Considering the size of each fan base, it cant come as any surprise that a ref supports one of the OF. I'd be willing to bet theres a few Celtic supporting  referees too.

It's just this week it seems to be Celtics turn to scream conspiracy, next week there'll be statement from rangers, in fact didnt ranger have a problem with beaton after they played hibs a year or two ago?

Its honestly embarrassing. 

8 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Can't believe people are taking this crap seriously. Watch any club football channel and the bias commentary is the norm. The commentators and co-commentators are saying the  nonsense that any club supporter would say.

I'd 2nd that but according to sportsound it is breaking a rule............. No club media outlet should question a refs integrity or something like that.

I dont see boyd as the issue anymore, that statement from celtic is an issue. Backing boyd was silly and only appeals to the lunatic fringe of the Celtic support 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

So folk find it truly acceptable then? This place never ceases to amaze. Imagine a Scotland v England World Cup qualifying match being officiated by a dyed in the wool England fan. I’m no sure it would be acceptable then.

Refereeing should be a global organisation with officials allocated matches so for example a Norwegian could do Hearts match on Saturday with Beaton doing Ajax’s match etc etc.  

As soon as one of the foreign refs missed an obvious decision for Celtic you'd want him hunted. It's what Celtic fans do. Always cheated, never defeated. 

Rangers fans can be equally stupid but for some reason aren't quite as mental about refs. 

4 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Can't believe people are taking this crap seriously. Watch any club football channel and the bias commentary is the norm. The commentators and co-commentators are saying the  nonsense that any club supporter would say.

There's bias commentary and then there's absolutely deranged comments from a person who thinks the world is against his club.

You're right, in-house commentators are biased. I'm regularly watching MUTV and Paddy Crerand sounds like he's been at the whisky before matches, and yes, he's Manchester United centric, but on the main he's harmless and he's never once said anything really sinister. I'll listened to a lot of in-house channels and they may be biased, but generally they just have a sincere passion for their club and the fan comes out in their commentary.

I've Celtic TV a couple of times. One of the matches, I think it was against Motherwell (I'll probably be wrong with that one) and Bobby Madden was the ref. Every single decision that went against Celtic it was because "Bobby Madden never gives us anything", "I'm not surprised that we didn't get that decision as Madden is against us". That's actually verbatim. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I'm only surprised it took so long for the media to get wind of this and the SFA to act. He genuinely thinks that every since official as well as the SFA are against Celtic. Yes. Celtic continuously win every trophy in Scotland and yet there's a massive conspiracy to stop them from winning. This must be the worst conspiracy in history as it simply is not working.

As a player he seemed like an unassuming character, pretty harmless. What happened to a person to make them so paranoid and filled with demons like that? 

Celtic are wrong to back him. Boyd is clearly suggesting that a referee is actually got an agenda against Celtic. We've all seen what the anti-immigrant rhetoric of Trump has done in the US. When dumb people get empowered all hell usually breaks loose. Talking of, can't wait to see what the Green Brigade have to say... odds are it'll be rooted in paranoia and they'll paint Tom Boyd as a political martyr.