The Mighty Celtic... - Page 266 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

41 minutes ago, slasher said:

Any case that supported the word hun being redefined as a term which comes under the umbrella of 'religious prejudice' would be headline news and you know it. Of all the many cases you can't show me one where this is the case. That's a fact. 

Also, given that you have raised this issue 4 times now yet say you don't have an agenda, how would you define your interest in the matter? 

Your attempting again to demonise a word most people are fine with on here. I'd be more interested to hear what Rangers fans on here think of the matter as most of them are pretty reasonable. 

Your last paragraph did make me lol there 😂

If I had an agenda, what exactly would I be looking to achieve on a football message board? Ive never once reported somebody for abuse, use of words or any other matter so it cant be to get people banned or suspended. As I said above my only agenda is seeing the effects that views, language and actions have on society. Im the 1st on here to condem the idiots on both sides. 

You keep bringing up the number of times ive discussed it. Is there a limit on how often we can discuss something? I personally was interested in Ramys use to describe Hearts fans. That was all. 

If you actually are interested go and have a read of S74(2) of the criminal justice (Scotland) Act 2003. In particular the phrase membership (or presumed membership) of a religious group or of a social or cultural group with a perceived religious affiliation.

2 hours ago, slasher said:

I'd be more interested to hear what Rangers fans on here think of the matter as most of them are pretty reasonable. 

Honestly?  The word Hun in no way offends me.  I have however often wondered if it is a word purely to describe Rangers fans why it is also attributed to Hearts fans who are so similar in their beliefs/outlooks etc as the Protestant/Unionist element of the Rangers support.  I can get where DS is coming from to a degree.  I've just never really cared enough to bring it up as arguing about this kind of thing isn't really my thing and I know pretty much which way it would go.

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Honestly?  The word Hun in no way offends me.  I have however often wondered if it is a word purely to describe Rangers fans why it is also attributed to Hearts fans who are so similar in their beliefs/outlooks etc as the Protestant/Unionist element of the Rangers support.  I can get where DS is coming from to a degree.  I've just never really cared enough to bring it up as arguing about this kind of thing isn't really my thing and I know pretty much which way it would go.

Its used to describe hearts fans to wind their support up, nothing more. They wave the odd union flag and sing similar songs to Rangers therefore they were labelled Diet Huns. There is no connection to whatever faith they follow.

28 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

If I see a banner saying Kill all Huns or  hanging effigies with Huns written on it then I don’t see it as a term of endearment.

There was a time when it was used in a jovial way but it’s now owned by a different type of supporter. 

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

If you have read what ive actually written it wasnt about the use if the word hun to describe Rangers fans. It was its use to describe Hearts.

I agree that Rangers have the biggest element of bigoted fans which is actively encouraged by the club. Does that mean that all other behaviour shouldnt be discussed?

Im not sure you can ban a word as such but use of the word hun is already looked upon unfavourably in law. Ive no doubt ppl will still be using it in 50 years time though as the west of scotland remains in the dark ages.

I'll happily discuss anything you want including Airdrie, in fact I'd rather we discussed more from other teams but any debate in this sectioned tends to be destroyed instantly by one poster.

Our only difference in opinion is the word hun, you feel its bigoted and for some reason want to conmect someone's religion to it when as in my experience it has zero to do with religion. Remember, I am a protestant and I know a few people who are devoted protestant Christians, even the Rangers supporters among them don't see this term as remotely connected to religion.

On another note I saw you mentioned something about losing argument if people swear or throw insults. I think you sometimes need to remember this us a public football forum not a court of law or a university debating club. There's a snobbery to some of your posts IMO

21 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Whit??  Do we need another 2 pages on this topic. I hate the fuckin 2 of them. Neilson is a moaning faced cnut anaw...

20 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You fukin started it, ya dafty. 🤣

19 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I know.. Too quiet on here..🤣🤣

Seems to have done the trick. 👍

I'm just glad I didn't call you "Tim dafty". Would never have heard the end of it. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Seems to have done the trick. 👍

I'm just glad I didn't call you "Tim dafty". Would never have heard the end of it. 🤣

Oh aye,Ramy was just trying to provoke conversation 🤣🤣🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Don't you fuckin start Oraloony, calling me a "Timdafty". That'll be another 2 pages..🤣🤣

Could have been worse. I almost used the "F" word. 🤣

Edited by Orraloon

Well, this turned out perfect. Some good posts, and some daft posts. It makes for good conversation. The huns get away with a blatant hand ball last night, and the diet huns score a goal completely offside, and their thick as fuck manager, moaning like a wee boy in primary school.. No surprise there... HH

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

On another note I saw you mentioned something about losing argument if people swear or throw insults. I think you sometimes need to remember this us a public football forum not a court of law or a university debating club. There's a snobbery to some of your posts IMO

Im from a working class family so nothing snobbery about me im afraid. Not wanting to engage in abuse or needless namecalling shouldnt be something frowned upon imo. We could all resort to being keyboard warriors on here but how tedious would that be.

I accept your views on the word hun and its use. Im happy to agree to disagree. I appreciate that nobodys views are likely to be changed on a football forum. Doesnt mean I cant post questions or have a discussion though or share my life experiences, even if some think im lying for some reason like some on here seem to be convinced I am about supporting Airdrie.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Could have been worse. I almost used the "F" word. 🤣

🤣🤣. Yae know, not to start another 2 pages, but I have been called a Fenian, dissnae bother me in the least to ne honest, and I'm no even Irish, I'm Scottish..😁🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

All fair 👍

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

If I see a banner saying Kill all Huns or  hanging effigies with Huns written on it then I don’t see it as a term of endearment.

There was a time when it was used in a jovial way but it’s now owned by a different type of supporter. 

That's totally unacceptable 

Anyway, back on topic. Great debut from O'Riley last night, he looks like a real find. Hatate reminds me a bit of McStay the way he carries himself, head up all the time. 

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

1. No idea whether they sing the songs, I've never been to a Rangers game with any of them.

Just thinking that if I were talking to match-attending fans of the Rangers, knowing that they were RC, my first question would be how they felt about being in a support that was openly directing hate towards RCs.

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

2. No idea if they're practicing Catholics either, but given current church attendance figures I'd doubt it.

Of course, I'd doubt they have any affinity with Roman Catholicism (so saying that they are RCs supporting the Rangers is misleading).

Show me a photo of RC priests wearing Rangers 1872 scarfs wrecking Manchester and I'll buy into what you're trying to say.

It would be like having a photo of a person claiming to be vegetarian eating a Big Mac. The question of just how vegetarian they are would naturally come into play.

37 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Just thinking that if I were talking to match-attending fans of the Rangers, knowing that they were RC, my first question would be how they felt about being in a support that was openly directing hate towards RCs.

Not everybody is quite as obsessed with the Rangers as you are though.

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

🤣🤣. Yae know, not to start another 2 pages, but I have been called a Fenian, dissnae bother me in the least to ne honest, and I'm no even Irish, I'm Scottish..😁🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Your maybe the 1st fenian Canadian 😜

50 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Your maybe the 1st fenian Canadian 😜

🤣. I'll bet 95% of canadians don't even know what a Fenian is.. I'm Scottish btw😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. So just in case I offended anyone, don't know why as folk have pointed out the use of "diet huns" to be just figure of speech as I explained, I will continue to call Hearts "diet huns".. No bigotry or religious conetations intended of course... I just hate the bastards.. 🙂🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺🍺

15 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

🤣. I'll bet 95% of canadians don't even know what a Fenian is.. I'm Scottish btw😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. So just in case I offended anyone, don't know why as folk have pointed out the use of "diet huns" to be just figure of speech as I explained, I will continue to call Hearts "diet huns".. No bigotry or religious conetations intended of course... I just hate the bastards.. 🙂🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺🍺

Aye but you hate everyone who’s nae of the hail hail persuasion 😳

20 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im from a working class family so nothing snobbery about me im afraid. Not wanting to engage in abuse or needless namecalling shouldnt be something frowned upon imo. We could all resort to being keyboard warriors on here but how tedious would that be.

I accept your views on the word hun and its use. Im happy to agree to disagree. I appreciate that nobodys views are likely to be changed on a football forum. Doesnt mean I cant post questions or have a discussion though or share my life experiences, even if some think im lying for some reason like some on here seem to be convinced I am about supporting Airdrie.

Talking of Airdrie - having seen every division 1 team now play at Broadwood, Airdrie have been the best footballing team in the league (the lad you have Dylan Easton should be playing at a higher level BTW), if you had  someone like Goodwillie up from you'd be at least level with Cove challenging for 1st place.

55 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Talking of Airdrie - having seen every division 1 team now play at Broadwood, Airdrie have been the best footballing team in the league (the lad you have Dylan Easton should be playing at a higher level BTW), if you had  someone like Goodwillie up from you'd be at least level with Cove challenging for 1st place.

Not sure what Goodwillie is on but not sure we could afford him. Easton is a funny one. On his day he can be great but drifts in and out of games and can be completely missing at times.

We have alot of youngish players who at least try and play football. Cove are very good though for this level, a mix of good football but also knowing how to win.

41 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Not sure what Goodwillie is on but not sure we could afford him. Easton is a funny one. On his day he can be great but drifts in and out of games and can be completely missing at times.

We have alot of youngish players who at least try and play football. Cove are very good though for this level, a mix of good football but also knowing how to win.

Agree as I said Airdrie certainly most pleasing on the eye of all the away teams that have played Clyde this season, certainly not how I remember the Airdrie of old playing 🤣