The Mighty Celtic... - Page 265 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

14 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The only agenda I have is seeing the harm bigotry and its association with football in particular has on society. Spend some time in Glasgow sheriff court and cases are full of needless violence, often sparked by or escalated by bigotry. Its so engrained into west coast society that even intelligent normal people get blinded by its effects.

Hearts share many of the traits of Rangers? I dont even know what that means if its not that their support is mainly pro union / protestant. (And vocally scummy) Are linfield also Huns or Hun light etc. If so it makes a mockery of the suggestion that its to with Rangers and more to do with certain traits associated with agrressive unionist protestants.

I dont intend to go round in circles though. My question to Ramy was specifically about his use in connection to Hearts. His reply that he was Celtic through and through probably said more about the deeper problems in society than I could ever elocute.

And for the avoidance of doubt in case you think im having a go at Celtic, I equally despise the use of any bigoted term used to describe Catholics given that I married one and have christened my son as a one.

I'm lost...  I suggest you do not leave your house next Wednesday then.. I'm sure you can figure out what I mean by that...

4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Hearts share many of the traits of Rangers? I dont even know what that means if its not that their support is mainly pro union / protestant. (And vocally scummy) 

See, you've cleverly shoehorned the religion of Hearts fans in there which is no part of the equation. 

At least the jambos paid off their debts unlike Airdrieonians (deceased) & Rangers 1872 (deceased). 

Come back to me when you're able to bring anything that equates to being something equitable that recognises the the bigotry and indeed violence and intimidation that the Catholic and Irish immigrant population of this country have had to endure. 

I've not seen you post one word on that subject. You're not alone though, apparently we're all plastic paddy cunts. 

I'll still be in Dublin in June...... supporting Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 minute ago, slasher said:

See, you've cleverly shoehorned the religion of Hearts fans in there which is no part of the equation. 

At least the jambos paid off their debts unlike Airdrieonians (deceased) & Rangers 1872 (deceased). 

Come back to me when you're able to bring anything that equates to being something equitable that recognises the the bigotry and indeed violence and intimidation that the Catholic and Irish immigrant population of this country have had to endure. 

I've not seen you post one word on that subject. You're not alone though, apparently we're all plastic paddy cunts. 

I'll still be in Dublin in June...... supporting Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

The religion of Hearts is relevent because its one of the "traits" that link Rangers with Hearts. If its just about scummy fans then loads of clubs up and down the country would be huns.

Did you not even read my last post? I married a catholic, my son is a catholic. Im more than aware of the difficulties that catholics have been subjected to.  That however is no justification for continuing the use of bigoted language regardless of what side of the divide you are on. I want Scotland to be a better place to live and work. Is that such a bad thing? Would the world not be a better place if football rivalry could just be about football and not about their faith, political views or family background?

The uber defence of one side of the argument based on what team you support is a large part of the problem but as Ramy says, if you are through and through then its ok isnt it.

And just for the record, saying Airdrie died really doesnt bother me as im not in primary school.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Go on then. What are the traits that Hearts share with Rangers but no other fans share. (Because Hun isnt used to describe these teams)

You're an Airdrie fan (allegedly) you walk amongst them. 

Seriously get to fuck. You are not to be taken seriously on here. 

Just now, slasher said:

You're an Airdrie fan (allegedly) you walk amongst them. 

Seriously get to fuck. You are not to be taken seriously on here. 

So unable to say then. As I suspected. You are unable to provide the traits because you know it wouldnt stand up.

Slagging Airdrie wont affect me. Im the 1st to say that we have a not insignificant element of our support that a hugely scummy.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

So unable to say then. As I suspected. You are unable to provide the traits because you know it wouldnt stand up.

Slagging Airdrie wont affect me. Im the 1st to say that we have a not insignificant element of our support that a hugely scummy.

So you're unaware of Hearts fans singing certain songs, flying certain flags, having unionist tendencies? 

You're at it ya cunt. You say you have an element of fans that are scummy. What efforts have you made to express your distaste? 

By the way I made my first visit to Broomfield in 1975 so don't fuckin bullshit me! 

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

So you're unaware of Hearts fans singing certain songs, flying certain flags, having unionist tendencies? 

You're at it ya cunt. You say you have an element of fans that are scummy. What efforts have you made to express your distaste? 

By the way I made my first visit to Broomfield in 1975 so don't fuckin bullshit me! 

Im very aware of Hearts singing unionist songs, having unionist tendencies and displaying anti irish / catholic flags etc etc. Thats my point that you seem to be unable to grasp. That the use of the term Hun to describe that behaviour is nothing to do with the Rangers and everything to do with the right wing protestant supporters. 

So hiding behind the excuse that you refer to Rangers as huns because it describes a rangers supporter totally falls down when its extended to other clubs fans and their "traits". 

You say Airdrie arent Huns yet the very behaviour you describe for Hearts is exactly the type of thing you are attempting to call me out on with regards to Airdrie.

So just to some up. A hun is a unionist who sings anti irish / catholic songs or displays anti irish / catholic flags regardless of what team they support?  Hmm wonder what religion falls into that category.

But yeah, im at it. Have a look in the mirror. 

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im very aware of Hearts singing unionist songs, having unionist tendencies and displaying anti irish / catholic flags etc etc. Thats my point that you seem to be unable to grasp. That the use of the term Hun to describe that behaviour is nothing to do with the Rangers and everything to do with the right wing protestant supporters. 

So hiding behind the excuse that you refer to Rangers as huns because it describes a rangers supporter totally falls down when its extended to other clubs fans and their "traits". 

You say Airdrie arent Huns yet the very behaviour you describe for Hearts is exactly the type of thing you are attempting to call me out on with regards to Airdrie.

So just to some up. A hun is a unionist who sings anti irish / catholic songs or displays anti irish / catholic flags regardless of what team they support?  Hmm wonder what religion falls into that category.

But yeah, im at it. Have a look in the mirror. 

No. A hun is a Rangers fan.

You are just a dick.

Sorry but you are. You envoke reason without reason. You imply explanation without explanation. 

I think that sums it up pretty well 👍

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I've known a few Catholic Rangers fans over the years, albeit a small set and I've been around a while.

1. How does that conversation come up? (And do they sing the songs?)

2. Daily/weekly practicing Catholics, or "I was told my family has a RC background, so if I get married or my child gets 'baptized', then I'll do it in a RC church"?

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The religion of Hearts is relevent because its one of the "traits" that link Rangers with Hearts. If its just about scummy fans then loads of clubs up and down the country would be huns.

Did you not even read my last post? I married a catholic, my son is a catholic. Im more than aware of the difficulties that catholics have been subjected to.  That however is no justification for continuing the use of bigoted language regardless of what side of the divide you are on. I want Scotland to be a better place to live and work. Is that such a bad thing? Would the world not be a better place if football rivalry could just be about football and not about their faith, political views or family background?

The uber defence of one side of the argument based on what team you support is a large part of the problem but as Ramy says, if you are through and through then its ok isnt it.

And just for the record, saying Airdrie died really doesnt bother me as im not in primary school.

Not sure if serious…

Anyway, Rangers fans are huns because of the reasons outlined by Scotty and others. That’s it. It’s been easy to associate Hearts with them - it’s the closest  thing to compare them to - when their fans embark on hate-filled, vicious, anti-Celtic, anti-Catholic behaviours. If they don’t want to be called diet huns then they shouldn’t behave like the huns. It’s nothing to do with their religion, it’s to do with how they act. Stop aping them then it stops. 

Another weirdly pro-Rangers rant by the “Airdrie” fan. It’s just weird. I’ve learned nothing about the Diamonds reading your tweets, just about the oppression of Protestant culture.

DS getting himself in a tizz again over the word hun, I am SHOCKED 🤣

The debate should've been over when scotty explained why the term hun is used to describe rangers fans. It's not a sectarian term but there is a select band of arseholes who are hell bent making it one. They will succeed and soon they'll find a new word to be offended by....... this is all while that club has the worst bunch of bigots in the stands 🤣🤣

44 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Not sure if serious…

Anyway, Rangers fans are huns because of the reasons outlined by Scotty and others. That’s it. It’s been easy to associate Hearts with them - it’s the closest  thing to compare them to - when their fans embark on hate-filled, vicious, anti-Celtic, anti-Catholic behaviours. If they don’t want to be called diet huns then they shouldn’t behave like the huns. It’s nothing to do with their religion, it’s to do with how they act. Stop aping them then it stops. 

Another weirdly pro-Rangers rant by the “Airdrie” fan. It’s just weird. I’ve learned nothing about the Diamonds reading your tweets, just about the oppression of Protestant culture.

Ive hardly even mentioned Rangers in this discussion.

Yet more deflection by the bigots of the board. Anybody who challenges must de faco be a Rangers fan.

Try actually reading what somebody writes rather than what you think they might be thinking. Where have I said anything that even remotely resembles oppression of protestant culture? Quite the opposite in fact.

All bigotry is wrong and utterly needless. Calling Rangers fans huns cant be defended as just referring to Rangers when you start then interchanging the word with other teams. If people cant see that then theres the problem.

You know when people like Slasher are wrong when they start getting abusive and trying to change the subject or introduce whataboutery. Its what people do when they cant have an adult conversation. 

I joined the board about 20 years ago from memory. So I must have been laying the seeds for 2 decades to disguise that im actually a Rangers fan. All those times ive went and watched my team were just to keep up the pretence. Id be more than happy to dicuss any or all things Airdrie but given we are a small club generally theres not alot of discussion to be had on them. In exactly the same way that there arent any threads on East Fife, or Falkirk etc

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

DS getting himself in a tizz again over the word hun, I am SHOCKED 🤣

The debate should've been over when scotty explained why the term hun is used to describe rangers fans. It's not a sectarian term but there is a select band of arseholes who are hell bent making it one. They will succeed and soon they'll find a new word to be offended by....... this is all while that club has the worst bunch of bigots in the stands 🤣🤣

If you have read what ive actually written it wasnt about the use if the word hun to describe Rangers fans. It was its use to describe Hearts.

I agree that Rangers have the biggest element of bigoted fans which is actively encouraged by the club. Does that mean that all other behaviour shouldnt be discussed?

Im not sure you can ban a word as such but use of the word hun is already looked upon unfavourably in law. Ive no doubt ppl will still be using it in 50 years time though as the west of scotland remains in the dark ages.

22 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ive hardly even mentioned Rangers in this discussion.

Yet more deflection by the bigots of the board. Anybody who challenges must de faco be a Rangers fan.

Try actually reading what somebody writes rather than what you think they might be thinking. Where have I said anything that even remotely resembles oppression of protestant culture? Quite the opposite in fact.

All bigotry is wrong and utterly needless. Calling Rangers fans huns cant be defended as just referring to Rangers when you start then interchanging the word with other teams. If people cant see that then theres the problem.

You know when people like Slasher are wrong when they start getting abusive and trying to change the subject or introduce whataboutery. Its what people do when they cant have an adult conversation. 

I joined the board about 20 years ago from memory. So I must have been laying the seeds for 2 decades to disguise that im actually a Rangers fan. All those times ive went and watched my team were just to keep up the pretence. Id be more than happy to dicuss any or all things Airdrie but given we are a small club generally theres not alot of discussion to be had on them. In exactly the same way that there arent any threads on East Fife, or Falkirk etc

What am I wrong about? 

8 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If you have read what ive actually written it wasnt about the use if the word hun to describe Rangers fans. It was its use to describe Hearts.

I agree that Rangers have the biggest element of bigoted fans which is actively encouraged by the club. Does that mean that all other behaviour shouldnt be discussed?

Im not sure you can ban a word as such but use of the word hun is already looked upon unfavourably in law. Ive no doubt ppl will still be using it in 50 years time though as the west of scotland remains in the dark ages.

Another unjustified claim. Show your working. There's been one court case where the term hun has been the central plank of the prosecution. 

You do have an agenda and you make stuff up to support it. 

3 minutes ago, slasher said:

Another unjustified claim. Show your working. There's been one court case where the term hun has been the central plank of the prosecution. 

You do have an agenda and you make stuff up to support it. 

No there hasnt. There has been literally hundreds where the word hun has featured as part of a section 38. Pop down to any summary court in the west coast and watch for yourself when Covid restrictions end. I dont know what you do but unless its in the justice system im assuming that you are basing your position on what you read in the papers. 

This is a message board. You either accept what people are saying or you dont. You obviously think im lying which is your choice. My "truth" doesnt suit your views so its easier to call it a lie than discuss the topic.

People will continue to act how they act, comforted by the associations they keep but it doesnt make them correct. Bigots will be bigots, sexists will be sexist and racist will be racist.

3 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

1. How does that conversation come up? (And do they sing the songs?)

2. Daily/weekly practicing Catholics, or "I was told my family has a RC background, so if I get married or my child gets 'baptized', then I'll do it in a RC church"?

1. No idea whether they sing the songs, I've never been to a Rangers game with any of them.

2. No idea if they're practicing Catholics either, but given current church attendance figures I'd doubt it.

I will add that I've met a lot more non-Catholic Celtic fans.

Edited by Toepoke

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

No there hasnt. There has been literally hundreds where the word hun has featured as part of a section 38. Pop down to any summary court in the west coast and watch for yourself when Covid restrictions end. I dont know what you do but unless its in the justice system im assuming that you are basing your position on what you read in the papers. 

This is a message board. You either accept what people are saying or you dont. You obviously think im lying which is your choice. My "truth" doesnt suit your views so its easier to call it a lie than discuss the topic.

People will continue to act how they act, comforted by the associations they keep but it doesnt make them correct. Bigots will be bigots, sexists will be sexist and racist will be racist.

No, let's just stick to facts Mr. Admin clerk. Link me up to the cases where use of the word 'hun' has led to a successful prosecution of racially aggravated assault or abuse?

The words bastard and cunt will have featured in thousands of section 38's, it doesn't make those terms illegal. You ignore context to suit your argument, so can I. 

Edited by slasher

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

1. No idea whether they sing the songs, I've never been to a Rangers game with any of them.

2. No idea if they're practicing Catholics either, but given current church attendance figures I'd doubt it.

I will add that I've met a lot more non-Catholic Celtic fans.

My brother in law was raised Catholic and supports Rangers. ie he's a hun. 

9 minutes ago, slasher said:

No, let's just stick to facts Mr. Admin clerk. Link me up to the cases where use of the word 'hun' has led to a successful prosecution of racially aggravated assault or abuse?

The words bastard and cunt will have featured in thousands of section 38's, it doesn't make those terms illegal. You ignore context to suit your argument, so can I. 

99% of legal cases arent reported in the press and generally only appealed cases appear in any type of legal news or website. If you dont want to educate yourself then thats fine.

It also wouldnt be racially aggrivated. The aggravation would be religious prejudice.

And for the record, I wouldnt consider being a clerk as an insult. They are some of the smartest people you will come across.

You seem to have little to no knowledge of the law if you think cunt isnt "illegal". Not that a word in itself can be illegal. If you call somebody a cunt you are risking a charge. 

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

99% of legal cases arent reported in the press and generally only appealed cases appear in any type of legal news or website. If you dont want to educate yourself then thats fine.

It also wouldnt be racially aggrivated. The aggravation would be religious prejudice.

And for the record, I wouldnt consider being a clerk as an insult. They are some of the smartest people you will come across.

You seem to have little to no knowledge of the law if you think cunt isnt "illegal". Not that a word in itself can be illegal. If you call somebody a cunt you are risking a charge. 

Any case that supported the word hun being redefined as a term which comes under the umbrella of 'religious prejudice' would be headline news and you know it. Of all the many cases you can't show me one where this is the case. That's a fact. 

Also, given that you have raised this issue 4 times now yet say you don't have an agenda, how would you define your interest in the matter? 

Your attempting again to demonise a word most people are fine with on here. I'd be more interested to hear what Rangers fans on here think of the matter as most of them are pretty reasonable. 

Your last paragraph did make me lol there 😂