The Mighty Celtic... - Page 249 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

23 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

The real crime is that Sky TV has become a tax on Scottish football.

At least 8% of UK sky subscriptions will be to a Scottish address.
Yet we get absolute buttons in return for the rights to our league.

we get buttons and terrible coverage too. 

I watched the build up to an Aberdeen game on Red TV this season, it was better than anything sky offer.

Hart is undoubtedly better than Celtic have at present, not that that's too hard.  However, this looks very much like an expensive panic move, especially giving him a three year deal when he'll likely be one of the highest paid players at the club.  HIs career has been in decline for the last 5 or 6 years and unlike Gordon, there isn't a serious injury that explains that. its been poor form pure and simple.

McCarthy similarly looks like a cynical move to appeal to a section of the support by getting in "one of our own".

Hart was brilliant at Man City however that was a good number of years ago. He has since failed to establish himself at Burnley and Spurs. He is still better than what Celtic have at the minute though.

Ive not seen McCarthy do anything of note for many years. Will probably be solid in Scotland but nothing special. Not even sure if he would play if everybody is fit.

59 minutes ago, aaid said:

Hart is undoubtedly better than Celtic have at present, not that that's too hard.  However, this looks very much like an expensive panic move, especially giving him a three year deal when he'll likely be one of the highest paid players at the club.  HIs career has been in decline for the last 5 or 6 years and unlike Gordon, there isn't a serious injury that explains that. its been poor form pure and simple.

McCarthy similarly looks like a cynical move to appeal to a section of the support by getting in "one of our own".

We've signed a couple of players who have lost their way but bring with them some much needed experience. I think McCarthy will be very good if he stays fit, Hart I'm not so sure about. However Craig Gordon did very well after 2 years out and Forster deemed not good enough for Southampton (before or since) was excellent. 

Your final comment is nonsense. We needed a CDM badly and McCarthy is potentially a very good one. (Hart is on 15k p/w btw, 2 yrs with option for 1 more) 

1 minute ago, slasher said:

We've signed a couple of players who have lost their way but bring with them some much needed experience. I think McCarthy will be very good if he stays fit, Hart I'm not so sure about. However Craig Gordon did very well after 2 years out and Forster deemed not good enough for Southampton (before or since) was excellent. 

Your final comment is nonsense. We needed a CDM badly and McCarthy is potentially a very good one. (Hart is on 15k p/w btw, 2 yrs with option for 1 more) 

I’d take that salary with a pinch of salt, I’ve also seen reports to suggest that Hart was on around £50k a week at Spurs which would seem just about right for someone like him.

I can fully imagine he’d take a cut to go to Celtic but that would only be if he would earn more over the course of the contract than he’d get from seeing out the final year of his contract at Spurs.  So your suggestion of £15k a week for a 2 year guaranteed deal just doesn’t add up.

McCarthy looked good at Wigan, at Everton he was in and out and at Palace.  He’s played around 20 games a season for the last six years.  As you alluded to he’s had his problems with injuries any they tend to get worse as you get older rather than better.  When was the last time that anyone in Scotland mentioned that they wish he’d chosen us over the ROI.

He’s also 31 soon, giving a four year deal - and he won’t be cheap either - to a guy that age isn’t something you tend to do unless you’re in a bind or the player’s really special and he isn’t.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I’d take that salary with a pinch of salt, I’ve also seen reports to suggest that Hart was on around £50k a week at Spurs which would seem just about right for someone like him.

I can fully imagine he’d take a cut to go to Celtic but that would only be if he would earn more over the course of the contract than he’d get from seeing out the final year of his contract at Spurs.  So your suggestion of £15k a week for a 2 year guaranteed deal just doesn’t add up.

McCarthy looked good at Wigan, at Everton he was in and out and at Palace.  He’s played around 20 games a season for the last six years.  As you alluded to he’s had his problems with injuries any they tend to get worse as you get older rather than better.  When was the last time that anyone in Scotland mentioned that they wish he’d chosen us over the ROI.

He’s also 31 soon, giving a four year deal - and he won’t be cheap either - to a guy that age isn’t something you tend to do unless you’re in a bind or the player’s really special and he isn’t.

Hart was on 57k pw at Spurs. Maybe he's made his money and just wants to play football. Such players do exist you know. As far as your point about the age of McCarthy you do realise that two of the best players in the league last season were Alan MacGregor (39) and Steven Davis (36)?

Listen, they might be shit in the long run but I'm prepared to give them a chance and ignore the TAMB 'experts' for now. 

14 minutes ago, slasher said:

Hart was on 57k pw at Spurs. Maybe he's made his money and just wants to play football. Such players do exist you know. As far as your point about the age of McCarthy you do realise that two of the best players in the league last season were Alan MacGregor (39) and Steven Davis (36)?

Listen, they might be shit in the long run but I'm prepared to give them a chance and ignore the TAMB 'experts' for now. 

Joe Hart’s moves over the last few years don’t exactly shout out “I just want to play football” do they?

Fair point about Davis but I’d suggest he’s the exception rather than the rule.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

I think Hart is a very good signing for them.  He's still only 34 (I think), which is still quite young for a keeper, and you don't win 75 caps for England if you're a duff 'keeper.  Like the old adage goes, form is temporary.  He might be error-prone, but he's a significant upgrade on Barkas and Bain.

McCarthy is a crock though - and an expensive one at that - but no doubt he'll be welcomed with open arms by the kind of mouth-breathing divvie who used to cream themselves at the thought of the club signing James McClean.

The last few comments are predictable . No doubt posted by some of the same 'tartan army' types who were happy to abuse McGeady & McCarthy at every away ground after they chose Ireland. 

2 hours ago, Mitre said:

James McClean next hopefully

Question for you fella. Why would James McClean be of any interest to you? 

34 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

James McClean would need to field that one.

No, you posted it. Please discuss. Is there something about James McLean we are missing? You did post this on Celtic chat and I find it disturbing, as I am Supporter of the Glasgow Celtic..l.  Thank u in advance...  BR 1314

5 hours ago, slasher said:

The last few comments are predictable . No doubt posted by some of the same 'tartan army' types who were happy to abuse McGeady & McCarthy at every away ground after they chose Ireland. 

Question for you fella. Why would James McClean be of any interest to you? 

He fits the profile of a Celtic signing. Washed up Irishman wanting a last payday at the only club he's ever wanted to play for. Plus his personal stances on certain matters (see pictures above for an example) will appeal to a section of the Celtic support and help take the heat off the board.

All in my opinion of course.

4 hours ago, Mitre said:

He fits the profile of a Celtic signing. Washed up Irishman wanting a last payday at the only club he's ever wanted to play for. Plus his personal stances on certain matters (see pictures above for an example) will appeal to a section of the Celtic support and help take the heat off the board.

Aye, sure. 😏

5 hours ago, Mitre said:

His "personal stances"? He hates the British army for what they historically (but within living memory) did in his hometown. It's not his opinion, it's an accepted historical reality. As far as I'm aware, he's never marched round in a balaclava denouncing the British state or advocating terrorism, but he has, when asked the question, stated his opinion. Sometimes in the face of real bigotry. But yeah, James McLean is the bad guy here. Predictable.

9 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

No, you posted it. Please discuss. Is there something about James McLean we are missing? You did post this on Celtic chat and I find it disturbing, as I am Supporter of the Glasgow Celtic..l.  Thank u in advance...  BR 1314

If people with public profiles like James McClean post daft images like that on the worldwide web, folk are going to use them in future. Straightforward as that.