The Mighty Celtic... - Page 229 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

9 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

"We've seen incidents in the last couple of weeks in Glasgow, the chief executive of Celtic, Peter Lawwell, his house had a petrol bomb and his car was set alight, there was trouble in the centre of Glasgow at George Square.

I just wonder, he has a wife, he has a family and I wonder if they think of things like that and think, I don't want to go up to Glasgow and be involved in that."

Chris Sutton

Can't help, can it.

10 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

"We've seen incidents in the last couple of weeks in Glasgow, the chief executive of Celtic, Peter Lawwell, his house had a petrol bomb and his car was set alight, there was trouble in the centre of Glasgow at George Square.

I just wonder, he has a wife, he has a family and I wonder if they think of things like that and think, I don't want to go up to Glasgow and be involved in that."

Chris Sutton

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

You can't blame the guy:

1. Miles behind their rivals.  What was it - something like a 40-point turnaround in 2 seasons?

2. Best players likely to be leaving.

3. Massive rebuilding job required throughout the team with hardly any time to do it.

4. Fans' expectations.

5. Someone attempting to murder the CEO and his family in an arson attack.

No. 5 would be enough for most sane folk.  Who'd want to go anywhere near that?

8 minutes ago, daviebee said:

You can't blame the guy:

1. Miles behind their rivals.  What was it - something like a 40-point turnaround in 2 seasons?

3. Massive rebuilding job required throughout the team with hardly any time to do it.

4. Fans' expectations.

But but but.  It's all Rangers fault.  Remember that.  Rangers had no right to climb back to the top.  Everyone knows that.  Surely.  Anyway, have a good day folks.  Out with another one today.  Jenny is her name.

new year.jpg

8 hours ago, daviebee said:

You can't blame the guy:

4. Fans' expectations.

I know it's talk about coaches not wanting to go or such, but honestly he's probably had a look at what he'd have left in the squad. Then been told the budget he'd be given to replace 7/8 first team players and realised how much of an uphill battle it would be. 

I'd be amazed if Celtic were to spend anymore than £20 million this summer (£25 million at a push). That is a lot of money but would it be adequate to replace the quality of Édouard, Christie, Ajer, Brown and sign another 4-6 players in key positions? 

You also then need to bare in mind that this is a Celtic side that finished 25 points behind Rangers. 

Then the weight of expectation on someone like Howe to deliver immediate results. 

Basically if Howe didn't win the league and there was a big points gap it would be a massive hit on his reputation. He might have felt the risk outweighed the reward.

The Celtic job this coming season, if we are being honest is a rebuild job and is more about preparing for the future, than winning the title. Obviously fan expectation is a little different, but at a boardroom level that certainly seem the case. That's not to say they won't win the title. Wim Janssen got it done in one season.

14 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I know it's talk about coaches not wanting to go or such, but honestly he's probably had a look at what he'd have left in the squad. Then been told the budget he'd be given to replace 7/8 first team players and realised how much of an uphill battle it would be. 

I'd be amazed if Celtic were to spend anymore than £20 million this summer (£25 million at a push). That is a lot of money but would it be adequate to replace the quality of Édouard, Christie, Ajer, Brown and sign another 4-6 players in key positions? 

You also then need to bare in mind that this is a Celtic side that finished 25 points behind Rangers. 

Then the weight of expectation on someone like Howe to deliver immediate results. 

Basically if Howe didn't win the league and there was a big points gap it would be a massive hit on his reputation. He might have felt the risk outweighed the reward.

The Celtic job this coming season, if we are being honest is a rebuild job and is more about preparing for the future, than winning the title. Obviously fan expectation is a little different, but at a boardroom level that certainly seem the case. That's not to say they won't win the title. Wim Janssen got it done in one season.

Very good post...👍

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Never heard of him to be honest. The board is a joke, but I will support whomever they hire I suppose.... 

Seriously Ramy.  Hiring someone from Australia.  Scottish Football is totally different.  So, as a Rangers fan I am quite happy with that.  It kinda reminds me of Rangers hiring Paul Le Guen.  No clue about the game here.  May be wrong though but you never know.  Keep the faith and HH.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

But but but.  It's all Rangers fault.  Remember that.  Rangers had no right to climb back to the top.  Everyone knows that.  Surely.  Anyway, have a good day folks.  Out with another one today.  Jenny is her name.

new year.jpg

"Jenny" looks like she's just been pumped and no looking forward to round two

Fergal Harkin, Celtic's apparent preferred candidate for Director of Football has opted to stay at Man City.  Shaun Maloney now appears to be the favourite for the role.  In a season of transition that's a helluva gamble.

8 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Fergal Harkin, Celtic's apparent preferred candidate for Director of Football has opted to stay at Man City.  Shaun Maloney now appears to be the favourite for the role.  In a season of transition that's a helluva gamble.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on 2 in a row.  We had it good for years, but it all comes to an end sometime.🍺

The new (although he is taking his time to think about it) manager, doesn't have a unfair license. But he has a dug license. Celtic offering him a nearly new Ford cortina to sweeten the deal. Oh my. A club like no other. I have offered to play in goals for a roll and chips. Beginning to wonder now if the two clubs are in kahoots!!!