The Mighty Celtic... - Page 132 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

I cheer for all Scottish teams in Europe except Celtic and Sevco who are really just 'Scottish-based' teams.

I never saw the reasoning in cheering for a club to go and make a boatload of money in a tournament so that they can return and hammer you with their finances domestically.

Anyway, how many millions is this going to cost Celtic?

1 minute ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Absolute crap from UEFA. This lot get pumped at QR2 for the champions league yet are still allowed at a second bite of the cherry by remaining in europe to have a shotty at the next trophy.

Aye, but the prize money will be peanuts to them.

14 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

'Barney' is a gentleman.

There was no need to take out your team's poor result on him.

By calling him a 'sad sack'.

What a fuckin insult. I truly am a terrible human being. 

Who can save me? 🤔

57 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Spot on, Brown is done, no legs at all. Why no forward started is anyone's guess, just stupid. They should.sack lennon if they want to.win the league

And yet incredibly there are still plenty of people online calling for him to be put back into the Scotland team :lol:

Brown has declined sharply over the last eighteen months. Celtic should be looking for a replacement.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

3 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

It was uncalled for.

Not really. Not much of an insult really either. A spectacular overreaction from you, yes 👍

If you have some personal insight that I should know about dm me, otherwise drop it

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Not really. Not much of an insult really either. A spectacular overreaction from you, yes 👍

If you have some personal insight that I should know about dm me, otherwise drop it

Guys - please leave it be.

There is no issue on my part.

Slasher's team lost unexpectedly tonight - we've all been there done it and have the scars - we are Scotland fans after all.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:25 AM, slasher said:

Nope, but I'm not overly concerned about us not quite clicking into gear at this stage. 🙅‍♂️

OK... so are you more concerned than you were previously?

Even less concerned?

Or about concerned the same?

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

And yet incredibly there are still plenty of people online calling for him to be put back into the Scotland team :lol:

Brown has declined sharply over the last eighteen months. Celtic should be looking for a replacement.

I’m one of them. I wasn’t actively calling for him to be in the team but I did say I’d have him in the squad.

Will I think that in a months time? Probably not.

4 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

OK... so are you more concerned than you were previously?

Even less concerned?

Or about concerned the same?

I'm not concerned about us winning the league at all. You're conflating different chats to make them about the same thing. 

Everything is connected, though.

Can Celtic keep French Eddie?

If they are able to, would they still be able to strengthen as they would like to without the prize money they were counting on?

FWIW, I think that the pressure of this season is going to get to both Celtic and Sevco.

21 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Everything is connected, though.

Can Celtic keep French Eddie?

If they are able to, would they still be able to strengthen as they would like to without the prize money they were counting on?

FWIW, I think that the pressure of this season is going to get to both Celtic and Sevco.

As far as I understand the business model we budget for worst case Euro scenario every season. Of course failure impacts on every aspect of the club from player/staff bonuses and hoped for revenue. 

Likely side effects are we'll ditch the expensive bids for Duffy and Riquelme and continue discussions with PSG and Man City over a couple of loans instead. 

Of course its entirely possible that Edouard may agitate for a move as well now but we'll just have to wait and see 🙅‍♂️

Edited by slasher

1 hour ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Absolute crap from UEFA. This lot get pumped at QR2 for the champions league yet are still allowed at a second bite of the cherry by remaining in europe to have a shotty at the next trophy.

Celtic's whipping boys from QR1, KR Reykjavik, are in the Europa League also.

The situation for Celtic now is:

• 80% chance of going in the Europa League third qualifying round (two of ten teams will be drawn into the play-off) and playing a winner from the Europa League second qualifying round.
  • 13% chance of going in the Europa League play-off round and playing a winner from the Europa League third qualifying round.
  • 7% chance of going in the Europa League play-off round and playing a loser from the Champions League third qualifying round.

6 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

For those in the know...

Would Celtic have budgeted for more than the one win in The Champions League?

Celtic would've only lost a net €200,000 by not getting to the third qualifying round (in terms of UEFA prize money). However, had they reached the CL play-off round, they'd've won an extra €5m and the group stages would've seen north of €30m.

In the EL, they'll receive €300,000 if they get knocked out in the play-off round (not awarded if they win) and a group stage place (which they've just made harder to achieve) would be worth around €7m (+€570k per group win, +€190k per group draw, +€500k for qualifying from the group and +€500k for winning the group).

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Were already on our second Brown replacement. Kouassi was ok but never really got a chance so was punted and then we signed Soro for a seven figure some in January and I don't think he's kicked a ball for us. Our recruitment over the years has been a disaster.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Celtic would've only lost a net €200,000 by not getting to the third qualifying round (in terms of UEFA prize money). However, had they reached the CL play-off round, they'd've won an extra €5m and the group stages would've seen north of €30m.

In the EL, they'll receive €300,000 if they get knocked out in the play-off round (not awarded if they win) and a group stage place (which they've just made harder to achieve) would be worth around €7m (+€570k per group win, +€190k per group draw, +€500k for qualifying from the group and +€500k for winning the group).

IMG-20200826-WA0025.jpg

Edited by vanderark14