The Mighty Celtic... - Page 81 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I presume Celtic’s apparent scatter gun approach is working? Provided they unearth a Van Dijk for every 4 or 5 Bolingoli, Arzani etc. They can make a good profit.

It might not allow them to progress at European level, but it keeps them making money and being better than Rangers.

The Champions league would’ve made them money, but based on them getting a seeded draw all the way to the group stages, they probably felt they didn’t need to gamble...

We do seem to wait until after the Euro qualifiers to start recruitment. This summer was always going to be a big summer due to us losing so many defenders (7 I think) and we've not done enough.

I guess getting in the CL can help us attract better players but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. 

It's all about doing enough to just stay ahead of rangers. Eventually the gap will be closed. It looked close in January and we responded with signings to which helped us win the league. 

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

He's not been very good, or certainly the levels he was at when he first arrived, for a fair period of time now. Most of last season I would say. He is also on a fair wage apparently and I would think a combo of the board and Lennon would have been happy to get rid of his salary to potentially spend that elsewhere. I say potentially. 

We had no need to get rid of him, his contract was up but we activated an optional extension in the hope of getting a fee for him. He's been treated pretty shabbily in my view. 

8 minutes ago, slasher said:

We had no need to get rid of him, his contract was up but we activated an optional extension in the hope of getting a fee for him. He's been treated pretty shabbily in my view. 

Agree.  An out of form Sinclair is a better option than Morgan or Hayes, even at their best.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

We do seem to wait until after the Euro qualifiers to start recruitment. This summer was always going to be a big summer due to us losing so many defenders (7 I think) and we've not done enough.

I guess getting in the CL can help us attract better players but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. 

It's all about doing enough to just stay ahead of rangers. Eventually the gap will be closed. It looked close in January and we responded with signings to which helped us win the league. 

From the outside it seems strange they weren’t better organised for the defensive exodus.

Obviously the manager situation won’t have helped.

Surely Celtic should’ve been addressing this last January, to be ready for a tilt at the champions league in July/August. The path is there for then and the money for getting there would be handy...

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

From the outside it seems strange they weren’t better organised for the defensive exodus.

Obviously the manager situation won’t have helped.

Surely Celtic should’ve been addressing this last January, to be ready for a tilt at the champions league in July/August. The path is there for then and the money for getting there would be handy...

It is really bizarre.  We knew 6 of the defenders leaving and I don't think KT going was a big shock.  We know we'd be starting the season with just 1 full-back in the squad - and he is clearly never going to be first choice.  We've brought 2 in (although 1 seems to have played CB most of his career).  It is really careless and we have suffered the consequences.  

The manager situation shouldn't really have mattered.  It's not like Rodgers left mid-July.  

It's easy to see why the fans are frustrated. 

IMPORTANT.... Please be advised. I am not only the creator of this thread, but I am also the moderator. Any future postings that harm the credibility of Celtic Football Club will be deleted, and the poster risks full suspension and will be held accountable for their actions.. Thank you.. BR 1314...

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

IMPORTANT.... Please be advised. I am not only the creator of this thread, but I am also the moderator. Any future postings that harm the credibility of Celtic Football Club will be deleted, and the poster risks full suspension and will be held accountable for their actions.. Thank you.. BR 1314...

How many of your fellow Canadians are Celtic fans ?

21 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

How many of your fellow Canadians are Celtic fans ?

probably goes to the Rangers club to watch the matches

last time i was on Toronto, should have got myself deloused after being at some boyo's flat full of rangers memorablia, and rangers affiliated bar  

54 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

😂🤣😂

Does that mean that Neil Lennon is barred from this thread? 

10 hours ago, euan2020 said:

probably goes to the Rangers club to watch the matches

last time i was on Toronto, should have got myself deloused after being at some boyo's flat full of rangers memorablia, and rangers affiliated bar  

Is that right genius?

4 minutes ago, slasher said:

As a club we have been sleepwalking towards disaster for a couple of years, but now we are sprinting towards it with arms wide open, ready to embrace it. 😳

I know it's still early days but that Bolingoli looks like an incredible waste of money.

11 minutes ago, slasher said:

As a club we have been sleepwalking towards disaster for a couple of years, but now we are sprinting towards it with arms wide open, ready to embrace it. 😳

Appointing lennon was insanity.