The Mighty Celtic... - Page 80 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Cluj lower ranked than the Nomads.

Cheers Celtic for taking the heat off us a bit!

Seen that earlier.  Ranked lower than Lincoln Red Imps and The New Saints too.  I'd have thought they'd have been a good bit higher considering they've been in the CL group stages relatively recently.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Seen that earlier.  Ranked lower than Lincoln Red Imps and The New Saints too.  I'd have thought they'd have been a good bit higher considering they've been in the CL group stages relatively recently.

They were in the CL groups about 7 or 8 years ago. They've not qualified for anything since. They went into admin 5 years or so back and were effed until somebody took them over. That is why they're ranked so low.

8 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

They were in the CL groups about 7 or 8 years ago. They've not qualified for anything since. They went into admin 5 years or so back and were effed until somebody took them over. That is why they're ranked so low.

Knocked out by Sevcoscu then.

A shambles of a team selection which in turn delivered a similar level of performance on the pitch, who would have though it.

To start, playing your probably most influential centre mid at left back, a position he can't play as has been shown before. Double whammy of losing him from the centre of the park and him being pretty ineffective in where he was playing. No surprise that first goal was a lump over the box and their player jumped all over McGregor at back post to head in.

Play Bolingoli at LB, play Johnny Hayes if need be. Just don't play your best midfield player there.

There is also the man management of Bolingoli to consider. Where does he see himself now, whats his confidence levels?

Paying £7m for a centre back and not playing him last night. Madness! He needs game time apparently. Well stick him in last night and if he then needs a wee break after that, well its Dunfermline at home on Saturday.

He also needs to address the goalkeeping issue thats been about for a bit. Neither are good enough long term. Big Forster is nowhere near the first team at Southampton, they should be making inquiries about his availability.

Questions need to be asked about Brown's rush of blood too. 2-1 up, why on earth do you do what you did? From the most experienced player on the pitch?? Madness.

Lennon blaming the players performances for last nights result when it was his team selection which did the most damage.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

A shambles of a team selection which in turn delivered a similar level of performance on the pitch, who would have though it.

To start, playing your probably most influential centre mid at left back, a position he can't play as has been shown before. Double whammy of losing him from the centre of the park and him being pretty ineffective in where he was playing. No surprise that first goal was a lump over the box and their player jumped all over McGregor at back post to head in.

Play Bolingoli at LB, play Johnny Hayes if need be. Just don't play your best midfield player there.

There is also the man management of Bolingoli to consider. Where does he see himself now, whats his confidence levels?

Paying £7m for a centre back and not playing him last night. Madness! He needs game time apparently. Well stick him in last night and if he then needs a wee break after that, well its Dunfermline at home on Saturday.

He also needs to address the goalkeeping issue thats been about for a bit. Neither are good enough long term. Big Forster is nowhere near the first team at Southampton, they should be making inquiries about his availability.

Questions need to be asked about Brown's rush of blood too. 2-1 up, why on earth do you do what you did? From the most experienced player on the pitch?? Madness.

Lennon blaming the players performances for last nights result when it was his team selection which did the most damage.

In broons defence he gets away wi that & much more week in week out without being punished, maybe forgot it was a foreign ref 😜

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Pretty accurate summary 👍

26 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Alan Stubbs saying that you need to question Celtics recruitment policy.

The irony of that statement isn’t lost on us St Mirren fans. C0ck

He's not wrong though, we've basically employed a scatter gun policy and went for quantity over quality in the hope that we strike gold every so often. Our squad is a bloated mess and has been for about 4 years 

Even with the bodies there at the moment, I still reckon there's about seven players that need shifted and another three brought in at least (LB, RB and DM). We spend a fucking fortune on wages and you never see the vast majority of the squad because their either injured or downright shite.

20 minutes ago, Mox said:

He's not wrong though, we've basically employed a scatter gun policy and went for quantity over quality in the hope that we strike gold every so often. Our squad is a bloated mess and has been for about 4 years 

Even with the bodies there at the moment, I still reckon there's about seven players that need shifted and another three brought in at least (LB, RB and DM). We spend a fucking fortune on wages and you never see the vast majority of the squad because their either injured or downright shite.

The cletic squad over the last 4 years can't be that bad considering they qualified for the CL once maybe twice in that time, I forget but its definitely one. They've won the treble treble too. 

Losing to Cluj on Tuesday was down to terrible management and nothing more, I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic had more money/resources than the whole Romanian league put together. From what I have read and watched from Tuesdays game, Celtic's defence was garbage wheras their attacking players kept them in the. Why sign a CB for 7m and leave him on the bench, why play arguably their best CM at LB? 

Simple errors which Lennon didn't take any responsibility for, well not from I have seen. 

I've said it already, Celtic have a squad capable of beating Cluj and Spart had they got through, this was a tremendous chance to pit themselves against the best in Europe, they failed and I don;t put that down to recruitment

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The cletic squad over the last 4 years can't be that bad considering they qualified for the CL once maybe twice in that time, I forget but its definitely one. They've won the treble treble too. 

Losing to Cluj on Tuesday was down to terrible management and nothing more, I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic had more money/resources than the whole Romanian league put together. From what I have read and watched from Tuesdays game, Celtic's defence was garbage wheras their attacking players kept them in the. Why sign a CB for 7m and leave him on the bench, why play arguably their best CM at LB? 

Simple errors which Lennon didn't take any responsibility for, well not from I have seen. 

I've said it already, Celtic have a squad capable of beating Cluj and Spart had they got through, this was a tremendous chance to pit themselves against the best in Europe, they failed and I don;t put that down to recruitment

That specific game wasn't to down to recruitment no, but our recruitment policy is symptomatic of the way the club is being run. I think we have 29 players in our first team squad, that's far too many.

21 hours ago, Mox said:

That specific game wasn't to down to recruitment no, but our recruitment policy is symptomatic of the way the club is being run. I think we have 29 players in our first team squad, that's far too many.

Agree.  If we could swap Hendry, Arzani, Morgan, Connell, Ralston, Miller, Kouassi, Sinclair, Benyu, Šimunović to 2 or 3 quality players it would make a big difference. 

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Agree.  If we could swap Hendry, Arzani, Morgan, Connell, Ralston, Miller, Kouassi, Sinclair, Benyu, Šimunović to 2 or 3 quality players it would make a big difference. 

I presume Celtic’s apparent scatter gun approach is working? Provided they unearth a Van Dijk for every 4 or 5 Bolingoli, Arzani etc. They can make a good profit.

It might not allow them to progress at European level, but it keeps them making money and being better than Rangers.

The Champions league would’ve made them money, but based on them getting a seeded draw all the way to the group stages, they probably felt they didn’t need to gamble...

19 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Not bad (but Rangers were LIQUIDATED). :)

19 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Rangers are being LIQUIDATED under UK law. 👍

Were or are? 

Does this mean I support Schrodinger FC? 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

What's the story with Sinclair getting so little game time lately?

22 hours ago, Mox said:

I agree. Every year the board seem to play chicken with the CL qualifiers. They won't splash out the needed early in the transfer window to make the qualifiers an easier proposition than what they have been the last few years. Its only if the qualifiers are navigated and the CL money guaranteed that they then provide the additional funds to further strengthen. Some would say that is a prudent way to run a club financially but as has been seen the last two seasons, its not worked. And given the supposed funds on the balance sheet, its not a case of plunging into the red by giving the manager the appropriate funds at the right time of the transfer window.

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

What's the story with Sinclair getting so little game time lately?

He's not been very good, or certainly the levels he was at when he first arrived, for a fair period of time now. Most of last season I would say. He is also on a fair wage apparently and I would think a combo of the board and Lennon would have been happy to get rid of his salary to potentially spend that elsewhere. I say potentially.