The Mighty Celtic... - Page 51 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Decided to watch Celtic last night, for once I had time to watch a game not featuring Aberdeen or Scotland. Its the first European game I've watched in years which didn't feature Aberdeen. Brown was beyond shite, probably the worst I've seen him play. Is he passed it? 

Celtic looked devoid of ideas, does Rodgers not know when to change formation or tactics?, passing the ball along the back four was like watching Levein's Scotland. 

I really wanted to see the Scottish lads play well but I thought most were non existent, it could be argued Burke, Christie and Forrest were starved of the ball but at times they were completely static too.

Poor performance and I reckon that tie is over 

Pretty much agree with all of this, although I don't think Burke helped himself as he kept making the wrong runs and the just stopped running entirely. He just isn't a Centre Forward at this level. 

Thought McGregor and Sinclair looked lively but needed better support to make an impact. 

And the new right back looked decent enough too. 

Rogers has essentially found his level in Scotland. He's tactically inflexible in Europe but doesn't have the players to be. Its fine against Scottish opposition as he has the better players then but against better teams he is unlikely to provide the tactics to win against the odds. 

15 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Pretty much agree with all of this, although I don't think Burke helped himself as he kept making the wrong runs and the just stopped running entirely. He just isn't a Centre Forward at this level. 

Thought McGregor and Sinclair looked lively but needed better support to make an impact. 

Rogers has essentially found his level in Scotland. He's tactically inflexible in Europe but doesn't have the players to be. Its fine against Scottish opposition as he has the better players then but against better teams he is unlikely to provide the tactics to win against the odds. 

bang on.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

He did change tact on two occasions but left it too long in my view. To be fair there's not a lot you can do when 8/11 don't reach levels they're capable of but his attempt to turn Burke into a no 9 is starting to look like a vanity project to me.

It was a joy at least to watch Daniel Parejo for 45 mins..... lovely footballer! 👍

Edited by slasher

37 minutes ago, slasher said:

He did change tact on two occasions but left it too long in my view. To be fair there's not a lot you can do when 8/11 don't reach levels they're capable of but his attempt to turn Burke into a no 9 is starting to look like a vanity project to me.

It was a joy at least to watch Daniel Parejo for 45 mins..... lovely footballer! 👍

As you say Parejo was excellent. Although I have to say I think McGregor could do the same thing given the right team around him. 

Starting to think Scotland might have a decent chance in the near future. 

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I agree with the part in bold to a certain extent, Celtic should have done a lot better last night, the wayward passes and lack of movement from some is basic stuff. 

29 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I agree with the part in bold to a certain extent, Celtic should have done a lot better last night, the wayward passes and lack of movement from some is basic stuff. 

True. I was sitting scratching my head saying the exact same thing. Some of the passing that led to giving the ball away was dreadful. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The lack of movement was odd. It was the root cause of most of their problems. With the pace in the team they really should have done a lot better. 

Weah was interesting when he came on. Was good at taking the ball to feet but basically had zero impact on the game. 

Obviously a technically gifted lad and very quick but definitely needs a lot of work. 

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Other than Eduoard ahead of Burke then I'd say it was the team most expected.

Ajer should have been in front of Simunovic who has gone from 4th choice centre half to ahead of Ajer in the space of 4 weeks despite doing nothing to justify that. Hayes should have been in ahead of Izaguirre, who was finished 4 years ago, there's little between them but at least Hayes has pace and as you said the burke/Édouard scenario as well. We also should have found a way to get Brown out the team, we were much better when he was out the team but he's just waltzed straight back in and done nothing but inhibit McGregor.

Playing a winger upfront who's only here for 6 months ahead of two strikers that we actually own in Edouard and Bayo, the latter who isn't even in the Europa League squad, neatly encapsulates the madness of this scatter gun recruitment policy that we've adopted for years 

He'll make the changes for the second leg when's there is little to lose, but it's too late. I like Rodgers, he's worked wonders domestically with a limited squad but he's been horrendous in Europe, if he moves on in the summer I'd be quiet happy.

17 minutes ago, Mox said:

Ajer should have been in front of Simunovic who has gone from 4th choice centre half to ahead of Ajer in the space of 4 weeks despite doing nothing to justify that. Hayes should have been in ahead of Izaguirre, who was finished 4 years ago, there's little between them but at least Hayes has pace and as you said the burke/Édouard scenario as well. We also should have found a way to get Brown out the team, we were much better when he was out the team but he's just waltzed straight back in and done nothing but inhibit McGregor.

Playing a winger upfront who's only here for 6 months ahead of two strikers that we actually own in Edouard and Bayo, the latter who isn't even in the Europa League squad, neatly encapsulates the madness of this scatter gun recruitment policy that we've adopted for years 

He'll make the changes for the second leg when's there is little to lose, but it's too late. I like Rodgers, he's worked wonders domestically with a limited squad but he's been horrendous in Europe, if he moves on in the summer I'd be quiet happy.

Let's be honest, if Hayes played lb and we lost the game then people would be screaming that we should have played a natural left back there rather than a guy who's been a pretty shite signing so far.

Brown has been playing well since the turn of the year, so again, there would have been loads saying why drop the captain for our biggest game of the season. Our insistence to fanny around at the back, with the keeper being asked to play little triangles with the two centre backs time and time again was our problem, along with the midfield forgetting how to complete passes and needlessly giving the ball away. 

It won't happen under Rodgers but we need to start bullying these superior sides when they come to CP rather than trying to play against them. Get some big mental bastards in at the back and lump the fucking ball up to strong strikers who can hold the ball up and knock headers on like we did under MON. I realise we'll never have that type of budget/quality again but we can at least have a plan b once in a while. We'll never compete against better teams otherwise

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Decided to watch Celtic last night, for once I had time to watch a game not featuring Aberdeen or Scotland. Its the first European game I've watched in years which didn't feature Aberdeen. Brown was beyond shite, probably the worst I've seen him play. Is he passed it? 

Celtic looked devoid of ideas, does Rodgers not know when to change formation or tactics?, passing the ball along the back four was like watching Levein's Scotland. 

I really wanted to see the Scottish lads play well but I thought most were non existent, it could be argued Burke, Christie and Forrest were starved of the ball but at times they were completely static too.

Poor performance and I reckon that tie is over 

You seem to know a lot about Rangers games, do you switch them off at 85 mins?

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Let's be honest, if Hayes played lb and we lost the game then people would be screaming that we should have played a natural left back there rather than a guy who's been a pretty shite signing so far.

Brown has been playing well since the turn of the year, so again, there would have been loads saying why drop the captain for our biggest game of the season. Our insistence to fanny around at the back, with the keeper being asked to play little triangles with the two centre backs time and time again was our problem, along with the midfield forgetting how to complete passes and needlessly giving the ball away. 

It won't happen under Rodgers but we need to start bullying these superior sides when they come to CP rather than trying to play against them. Get some big mental bastards in at the back and lump the fucking ball up to strong strikers who can hold the ball up and knock headers on like we did under MON. I realise we'll never have that type of budget/quality again but we can at least have a plan b once in a while. We'll never compete against better teams otherwise

You are bang on with first 2 paragraphs. Brown also has some ridiculous pass completion success rate in European football so when you are wanting to keep the ball then it would make sense to play him. The fact he probably destroyed that stat in the first 45 mins last night couldn’t have been forecast beforehand. Add in you are never going to drop your captain in a game like that.

Re Burke/Edouard, I’m still not a Burke fan and he had a touch of the headless chickens as well as Lukaku’s first touch last night but, again, he’s just destroyed St Johnstone 4 days previous, it would have been v harsh to drop him after that performance for a player who’s fitness levels are still largely unknown.

The only debate last night in that line up was Izzy v Hayes, I doubt either playing in place of the other would have made any difference. We didn’t lose due to which pish LB option played, we lost because we couldn’t create anything or keep the ball comforably when we had it.