The Mighty Celtic... - Page 27 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

Have we all had a sudden case of amnesia? Vanderark I can understand as he wants to forget all about it, but Aberdeen should have won the league in 2014/15 and absolutely bottled it. 

I can understand people blaming Celtic for certain aspects of the domestic game, but the death of the national team is a bit of a stretch. The biggest issue we have in Scotland is the lack of quality coaches who use Innovative and modern coaching methods to try and develop technically gifted players.

You only have to look at Levein, McInnes, Tommy Wright, managing some of the 'better' teams in the country and their playbook is right out of the 1970's kick and rush, that's the issue that's holding us back. It's 2018 and we have still not embraced a technical and passing based style across the country, that is batshit mental. On the other hand, Steve Clarke has his team playing football on the deck and look what they have achieved, the resources isn't the main issue, the lack of good coaches is.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Have we all had a sudden case of amnesia? Vanderark I can understand as he wants to forget all about it, but Aberdeen should have won the league in 2014/15 and absolutely bottled it. 

I can understand people blaming Celtic for certain aspects of the domestic game, but the death of the national team is a bit of a stretch. The biggest issue we have in Scotland is the lack of quality coaches who use Innovative and modern coaching methods to try and develop technically gifted players.

You only have to look at Levein, McInnes, Tommy Wright, managing some of the 'better' teams in the country and their playbook is right out of the 1970's kick and rush, that's the issue that's holding us back. It's 2018 and we have still not embraced a technical and passing based style across the country, that is batshit mental. On the other hand, Steve Clarke has his team playing football on the deck and look what they have achieved, the resources isn't the main issue, the lack of good coaches is.

Aberdeen should have won the league? Really? why is that? You are the first person including Aberdeen fans I've seen say this. 

Can you elaborate? Your last paragraph shows a lack of knowledge of other teams which is pretty standard for you but I'd love to know why you think Aberdeen should have won the league or what that has to do with this whole discussion

There was no point in that season where I could honestly say I felt Aberdeen should win the league. Looking back at the 2nd half of the season I think we got within 3 points of Celtic after beating them at pittodrie. That was in February 2016 so Celtic still had the advantage by having the bigger squad and better team, where was the point you felt Aberdeen should win it?

Edited by vanderark14

As I said a few posts back, I never expected Aberdeen to win it, but at least they made it a challenge that year. I imagine Celtic still would have won it, but we were on a shoogly peg until Ronny Deila decided to resign after the Old Firm semi. We dropped 5 points after the split. Had Aberdeen not completely fell to pieces then it might have been a closer story.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Aberdeen should have won the league? Really? why is that? You are the first person including Aberdeen fans I've seen say this. 

Can you elaborate? Your last paragraph shows a lack of knowledge of other teams which is pretty standard for you but I'd love to know why you think Aberdeen should have won the league or what that has to do with this whole discussion

There was no point in that season where I could honestly say I felt Aberdeen should win the league. Looking back at the 2nd half of the season I think we got within 3 points of Celtic after beating them at pittodrie. That was in February 2016 so Celtic still had the advantage by having the bigger squad and better team, where was the point you felt Aberdeen should win it?

Ok, on reflection maybe you're right, but they could have won the title and certainly should have made a better fist of it after beating us in in the February to go 3 points behind with around 14 games to go. There was a title race there despite you and others saying there hasn't been one and the reason they didn't win it was because of Mcinnes limited ability as a manager. This was also after Aberdeen had won their first 8 games and clearly had a much better group of players than every other team in the league bar Celtic by a country mile.

If I remember correctly, Aberdeens front four at that time was Mcginn, Hayes, McLean and Rooney, which was arguably the best front four in the league at the time and a good manager would have taken that race to the very end against a very ordinary Celtic team.

15 minutes ago, Mox said:

Ok, on reflection maybe you're right, but they could have won the title and certainly should have made a better fist of it after beating us in in the February to go 3 points behind with around 14 games to go. There was a title race there despite you and others saying there hasn't been one and the reason they didn't win it was because of Mcinnes limited ability as a manager. This was also after Aberdeen had won their first 8 games and clearly had a much better group of players than every other team in the league bar Celtic by a country mile.

If I remember correctly, Aberdeens front four at that time was Mcginn, Hayes, McLean and Rooney, which was arguably the best front four in the league at the time and a good manager would have taken that race to the very end against a very ordinary Celtic team.

It wasn't really a title race, there was always a feeling within our support and the media that Celtic would get away, we had a blistering starts to the season, correct but our squad was also small in comparison to Celtic it was never going to last. to put that into perspective and using the front 4 you talk of, they scored 41 league goals between them. Leigh Griffiths scored 31 on his own, Celtic scored 30 more league goals than Aberdeen.

It seems that everyone except you thinks Aberdeen were in a title race because I don't remember anyone saying we could do it. 

We didn't lose because of Mcinnes limited ability as a manager, we lost because we did not have the squad size or the quality within our team to match Celtic. 

Guest faircity
5 hours ago, Mox said:

Look at what Steve Clarke has achieved. Okay, what has Steve Clarke achieved exactly? That dinosaur Tommy Wright that you are slagging off has Saints 3 points behind them with a game in hand. Hearts are 1 point behind and so might Aberdeen be if they win their games in hand. As good a job as he is doing, he is hardly the second coming of Guardiola, I think you need to settle yourself down a wee bit. 

14 hours ago, faircity said:

Look at what Steve Clarke has achieved. Okay, what has Steve Clarke achieved exactly?

Taking basically the same squad of players from rock bottom of the SPFL with no wins in the first 8 games to top of the table in December within just over a calendar year? I'd say that's a pretty good achievement.

Out our stating 11 on Saturday (and previous games), 9 of them played in McCulloch's side.

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Taking basically the same squad of players from rock bottom of the SPFL with no wins in the first 8 games to top of the table in December within just over a calendar year? I'd say that's a pretty good achievement.

Out our stating 11 on Saturday (and previous games), 9 of them played in McCulloch's side.

That maybe says more about McCulloch though!  That said, i don't doubt Clarke's ability.  If nothing else, i like his style.

16 hours ago, Mox said:

There was never a title race.  We got off to a good start and that was it.  The only think that made is slightly interesting was Ronny Deila's utter incompetence.  We did indeed have a very decent team though.  Hayes and McGinn were on fire, Pawlett played more than McLean in the front four and when he was on song could destroy teams. Shinnie, McLean and snake in that team too. I think we're probably probably better defensively now but only GMS would get near any of the front four.  Ah, the good old days, maybe Pedro was right about the bike.....

Guest faircity
51 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Calendar year? Our season runs from August to May though. Top in December, while it's better to be top in December than last, ultimately it means bugger all. 

8 minutes ago, faircity said:

Calendar year? Our season runs from August to May though. Top in December, while it's better to be top in December than last, ultimately it means bugger all. 

It doesn't mean bugger all at all, it shows that with good modern coaching, you can compete with the best teams in the league on a consistent basis and that should be a blueprint for every other club in the country.

Edited by Mox

Guest faircity
17 minutes ago, Mox said:

It doesn't mean bugger all at all, it shows that with good modern coaching, you can compete with the best teams in the league on a consistent basis and that should be a blueprint for every other club in the country.

But so is Tommy Wright,  with probably a lesser budget, yet he is holding us back while Clarke is the Messiah. 

3 hours ago, faircity said:

Yip and St Johnstone hypothetically winning games in hand means fuck all too.

In just over 12 months, Clarke has taken us from bottom to top of the league. We also finished above St Johnstone last season despite him only taking over in October and will happily predict we'll finish above them this season by a good bit.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yip and St Johnstone hypothetically winning games in hand means fuck all too.

In just over 12 months, Clarke has taken us from bottom to top of the league. We also finished above St Johnstone last season despite him only taking over in October and will happily predict we'll finish above them this season by a good bit.

👍 Livingstone will jump ahead of St Johnstone if they beat Aberdeen tonight. Hypothetically of course 

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Oye, this is MY Celtic thread. Stay on topic about Celtic or I will be handing out suspensions with no appeal process ya wankers. 🤣🤣

I dont think a cellic supporter should be talking about suspenders and wankers. Just saying like ☺. ENJOY YOUR WEE STAY at the top bhoyo. Gerrard is coming (no pun) for ye x

8 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Tough ask tonight. Rosenborg will be taking nothing from Leipzig so we'll need to do it ourself. Draw would be a superb result against a strong team very much in form.

Agreed mate. Paradise sold out as well so hopefully the support will be our 12th man. Can't concede early goal. Salzburg already through so might be in our favor. ACH well, here we go again wae the nerves. 🙂

15 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Tough ask tonight. Rosenborg will be taking nothing from Leipzig so we'll need to do it ourself. Draw would be a superb result against a strong team very much in form.

You only need a point against a team that has already won the group. And you're playing at home. Piece of piss.