The Mighty Celtic... - Page 26 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

Can I put Celtic's achievements into some sort of perspective?

There are only two teams in Scotland that have any transfer funding, Celtic are one of them.

Celtic spent £9m on a striker in the summer. No other team in Scotland apart from Rangers is able to spend £100k on a single player.

Celtic should be dominating Scottish football. I'm not sure why Celtic fans and players celebrate as wildly as they do, they celebrate like they've overcome the odds and achieved something that wasn't expected.

I find it interested and rather odd.

Celtic can only be judged when they're playing in Europe and playing against teams with disposable money and can actually, ya know, buy players.

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

To be fair, you can only beat what's in front of you.

True.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything, but the anti-competitiveness of the top level of Scottish football really is starting to be clawing. Other countries may be as anti-competitive (Germany, France, etc) but at least their teams have money to spend. The sooner the Old Firm put money back into Scottish football, the sooner it'll begin to show signs of health... but then again, they've never wanted that in the first place.

16 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

To be fair, you can only beat what's in front of you.

Exactly! Does Chripper find it odd that Bayern Munich or Juventus still celebrate each title win?

What I find odd is people finding it bizarre that we'd celebrate as much as we do. We're currently in an era of dominance and fans of other clubs are questioning whether we find it boring. Do we eff. Damn right we're making the most of it as you never know what is round the corner. I don't expect dominance to stop any time soon, but I'll still celebrate each trophy win as if it's my first (or last!).

Edited by Tartan_McCole

25 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Exactly! Does Chripper find it odd that Bayern Munich or Juventus still celebrate each title win?

What I find odd is people finding it bizarre that we'd celebrate as much as we do. We're currently in an era of dominance and fans of other clubs are questioning whether we find it boring. Do we eff. Damn right we're making the most of it as you never know what is round the corner. I don't expect dominance to stop any time soon, but I'll still celebrate each trophy win as if it's my first (or last!).

No, Chripper doesn't find it odd that Bayern Munich or Juventus still celebrate titles... as the other Italian and German clubs have disposable money, can buy players and produce superstars from their youth academies. Scottish football is stifled because of Celtic's dominance whereas Italian and German football is thriving in spite of the Bayern and Juventus dominace.

You left out PSG, by the way. Again, this isn't stifling French football at an international level.

It's about time the Old Firm gave something back to Scottish football after all the decades of acting like a couple of Vampires.

Edited by Chripper

3 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Probably wouldn't have been the best example considering they've had 3 different winners in the last 7 seasons.

Statistics can be skewed to fit any agenda:

PSG have won the Ligue 1 five times out of the past six years - 83.33%

You mentioned Bayern Munich. They've won the Bundesliga six times out of the past eight years. 75%

Not much of a difference.

And as I said, seems like I have to repeat it. The Old Firm dominance has killed Scottish football and the Scottish national team. The domestic dominance in France, Germany and Italy hasn't.

18 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Statistics can be skewed to fit any agenda:

Just like it's ok for every other country to have the same winner year in year out, but it's only in Scotland that it seems to be ruining the national team. You can throw Portugal and Spain into the mix as well of countries who are dominated year in year out by the same team (s) but who seem to be doing just dandy.

There are plenty of things higher up on the agenda of our national team being average before coming to Celtics dominance.

31 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Just like it's ok for every other country to have the same winner year in year out, but it's only in Scotland that it seems to be ruining the national team. You can throw Portugal and Spain into the mix as well of countries who are dominated year in year out by the same team (s) but who seem to be doing just dandy.

There are plenty of things higher up on the agenda of our national team being average before coming to Celtics dominance.

Since the last time a non OF team won the league - 6 spanish teams have won their title, France has 10, Germany has 6, Portugal has 4 and Italy has 8. Almost every league has had more than two winners but I don't think that's the point being made. Most of the league mentioned have seen title challenges of some sort, not every season but most. Celtic have had it easy with no challenge at all because they completely out muscle the others for finance. 
There is close to zero hope of anyone challenging unless Celtic make an arse of it which they kind of did at the start of this season, they seem to have their act together which IMO will see them hose the league from now till end of the season. 

Chripper's point is its easy for celtic, their wild celebrations would be like Usain Bolt celebrating wildly after he beat a guy with one leg. Last week there was a buzz about the game in Scotland, even some celtic fans welcomed the challenge from Killie - this week normal service has resumed. Its tighter than usual but thats down to Celtic rather than the other teams. Celtic had a slow start for some reason but they've stepped up again, back at the top with a game in hand.

I guess celtic can't win, they should be beating everyone in Scotland as a minimum, if they don't they rightly get chastised, if they do it shouldn't be looked at as a huge achievement. If they make a mark on the EL this year, that would be a very good achievement because they play against comparable clubs. The whole gulf in finances/resources goes far higher than just Scottish football, In the CL Celtic now suffer what the rest of the teams have had to suffer for over 20 years in Scotland and ts only going to get worse.

33 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Can't, nor wasn't trying to, argue with many of those points.

Usain Bolt was rightly still celebrating every single gold he achieved though, and always gave his usual trademark celebration. I just can't grasp someone questioning why football fans celebrate trophy wins, expected or otherwise.

was he running against one legged runners?

31 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Usain Bolt was rightly still celebrating every single gold he achieved though, and always gave his usual trademark celebration. I just can't grasp someone questioning why football fans celebrate trophy wins, expected or otherwise.

For lack of a better word, Celtic (and Rangers) have raped Scottish football for decades. They're the ones who have sucked it dry, pandering to bigots, etc.

I think it's about time they gave something back. There's no glory in winning a race with no competitors.

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

For lack of a better word, Celtic (and Rangers) have raped Scottish football for decades. They're the ones who have sucked it dry, pandering to bigots, etc.

I think it's about time they gave something back. There's no glory in winning a race with no competitors.

Aye. TV money could've been a great leveller in Scottish football, but all that money was kept for the top two in the SPL era - killing any chance of competition. I seriously believe that Hearts could've won the league in 2006(?), but their chances were murdered by Vladmir Romanov - aside from that I can't think of a year when one of the Old Firm has been seriously challenged for the title by an outsider. When you know which teams are going to be taking the European places and title at the start of the season - it really takes any enjoyment out of the game, which leads to decline - as we've seen.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

As much as Celtic and Rangers have benefited more from their dominance, the other clubs are not blameless, they were gullible enough to plod along accepting it. This doesn't absolve the OF but this is scottish football, they never have and never will never think as one and that's why nothing will ever improve.

53 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Since the last time a non OF team won the league - 6 spanish teams have won their title, France has 10, Germany has 6, Portugal has 4 and Italy has 8. Almost every league has had more than two winners but I don't think that's the point being made. Most of the league mentioned have seen title challenges of some sort, not every season but most. Celtic have had it easy with no challenge at all because they completely out muscle the others for finance.

The only other leagues that I can think of that have had the dominance of two teams over the years is Serbia and Ukraine. Ukraine has a population big enough to allow a couple of other sides to compete in Europe financially, whereas most Serbian sides outwith Partizan and Red Star are much like our sides outwith Celtic and (historically) Rangers. The lack of real competition hasn't done either of those leagues much good when compared to comparable leagues.

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

Aye. TV money could've been a great leveller in Scottish football, but all that money was kept for the top two in the SPL era - killing any chance of competition. I seriously believe that Hearts could've won the league in 2006(?), but their chances were murdered by Vladmir Romanov - aside from that I can't think of a year when one of the Old Firm has been seriously challenged for the title by an outsider. When you know which teams are going to be taking the European places and title at the start of the season - it really takes any enjoyment out of the game, which leads to decline - as we've seen.

I think so, too.

The OF avarice over the past few decades wouldn't be tolerated in any other sport, or perhaps any other league. The thing is, the importance of the OF have been overestimated from all quarters. Yes, they brought it extra money from Sky, etc, but as you said, the OF got the lions share.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

As much as Celtic and Rangers have benefited more from their dominance, the other clubs are not blameless, they were gullible enough to plod along accepting it. This doesn't absolve the OF but this is scottish football, they never have and never will never think as one and that's why nothing will ever improve.

Agreed 100%

Scottish football is a strange thing, but it does sum up the world at large, where the few outweigh the masses. If the masses banded together then change would happen, but in reality, it will never happen.

11 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I never thought they'd ever actually win it, but Aberdeen ran a pretty close race in 2015 (I think..) before they chucked about 6 games out of 7.

I guess as a business, Celtic have a responsibility to look after themselves, even if it’s to the detriment of the game as a sporting competition. 

It’s all relative, Celtic fans are looking to win every trophy and celebrate while for other clubs fans the odd trophy, final or beating Celtic once is something to celebrate just as much. 

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I never got the hype round that guy. I finish in about 10 seconds all the time but don't get any plaudits for it.  :(