England to host 2030 world cup. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England to host 2030 world cup.

The Laud

I think having a 'British Isles' (Britain and Ireland 2030? - not sure what we'd call it) world cup would be a great idea. We've done similar before with the rugby union world cup. The potential stumbling block, as others have already said, is who qualifies. I'm pretty certain the rest of the world wouldn't accept five qualifying automatically. Maybe if we were all qualifying regularly anyway they might just allow it, but that hasn't been the case for, well, ever. No harm in asking though.

Then again, I suppose if the rest of you were willing to host some of the matches even if your own team didn't qualify, then it could still work. I say that on the assumption that they would be granting England automatic qualification as I expect we'd be hosting the majority of the matches.

World Cups are so rare and realistically it will never be possible for Scotland, Wales or Ireland to host one on their own, so why shouldn't we share it? The likes of Dublin, Glasgow, Edinburgh, maybe even Belfast if possible, would make fantastic host cities, and with the tournament having more teams there will be more matches, so still plenty to spread throughout England too.

I'm willing to put aside my longstanding and deep rooted hatred of you all, so that our nations can come together for four weeks and share our love for the great game of football. 🧡💙💚💛

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

Why does England even need to share it with any of the other UK nations? The English could host it tomorrow if they had to.

One of the head blokes in FIFA said a few weeks back if it was a British isles bid, it would be a stronger case for getting it. If it was anything like the 2012 Olympics, I think it would be one of the greatest hosted world cups.

8 hours ago, bossman4 said:

Would say now that NI wont have any stadium big enough to do it, talk over here when it was mentioned a few weeks back was NI being used as a training base.

With the current direction of travel, Scotland will be independent and Ireland will be reunified by 2030, Landsdowne Road is plenty big enough to host WC games.  Think of it as a Union dividend 😉

7 hours ago, Ormond said:

Why does England even need to share it with any of the other UK nations? The English could host it tomorrow if they had to.

You're correct that we don't need to, but I just think it would amazing if it was shared. I'd say the same if Australia was hosting it that it would be great to include New Zealand too.

I'd like to think that The English FA would at least offer the chance to be part of it to the SFA, FAW, IFA and FAI. I'd really hope you would all go for it, but it's up to you. I just think it would add so much to the tournament if you were all involved. I'm even starting to think that with FIFA increasing the number of teams to 48, that they might even allow four or five teams to qualify automatically. Especially when they looked at it sensibly and realised what an amazing buzz it would create to have the world cup on these islands with all five national teams present.

10 minutes ago, George Saint said:

You're correct that we don't need to, but I just think it would amazing if it was shared. I'd say the same if Australia was hosting it that it would be great to include New Zealand too.

Great idea.   The post Brexit buccaneering England shouldn't be hamstrung by having to share the World Cup with countries it borders.   They should be having a real worldwide view on this.   A joint England/New Zealand/Australia bid sounds really fantastic.   Even better if we can get some other English speaking, predominantly white countries that we used to colonise involved as well.  I'm sure Canada would step back from holding it in 2026 to back the Empire bid for 2030.

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

You could say the same about the US but they are sharing with Canada and Mexico.

It's probably the future of all WCs. Qatar might well be the last solo host. 

• 2 weeks later...