John Fleck - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

John Fleck

er yir macaroon

13 hours ago, Malcolm said:

All of the midfielders listed there are second rate and shows why we are not at major championships.  Our best midfielder has decided he doesn’t want to play anymore.

Scott Brown will be missed, hopefully not too much, I agree with you there, but midfield is probably the strongest part of our team.

If our defence and attack were as strong as our midfield I'd feel a bit more confident about our prospects. Put it this way, if Fleck was a centre-half or a centre-forward and playing regularly at the level he is, he'd be in the squad. 

I don't get the pessimism. A choice from Armstrong, McGregor, Forrest, McGinn, Cairney and Fraser. Backed up by an option of Henderson, McArthur, McTominay (we need more time assess him), etc. 

I know what's being said about Collins/Lambert etc but those above are good. Hopefully a young player can also break through too.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:43 AM, Malcolm said:

Ideally I would want three central mids capable of top half of the EPL or equivalent.  Collins, mcallister, lambert level.  I think we are a wee bit short of that just now, with Brown being the only player that is.

Collins had a good left foot and was certainly a good player, but he wasn’t miles better than our current crop. McStay was, and I guess McAllister and Ferguson. 

On 8/10/2018 at 9:43 AM, Malcolm said:

Ideally I would want three central mids capable of top half of the EPL or equivalent.  Collins, mcallister, lambert level.  I think we are a wee bit short of that just now, with Brown being the only player that is.

Serious question but when has a top half club come in for Scott Brown in the past?

Midfield has plenty of numbers now and I think if the right three are selected it should be a very effective part of the team. Would probably go for McTominay-Armstrong-Cairney as the three for next games.

Far more worried about central defence and upfront if Griffiths isn't playing.

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Collins had a good left foot and was certainly a good player, but he wasn’t miles better than our current crop. McStay was, and I guess McAllister and Ferguson. 

:wtf:  Collins was on a different planet compared to what we've got at the moment.

8 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Collins was class, way better than mcstay.

His quality was keeping the quality against real quality opposition.

No where near the talent of McStay. He had a great work ethic, made the most of what he had and was a very good player. McStay was the more gifted by a long way but didn’t make the most of what he had.

19 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Serious question but when has a top half club come in for Scott Brown in the past?

Midfield has plenty of numbers now and I think if the right three are selected it should be a very effective part of the team. Would probably go for McTominay-Armstrong-Cairney as the three for next games.

No idea who has gone in for Brown and when but I don't think it proves anything.

McGregor has to start. He's better than all 3 of the players you mentioned. 

For the Nations League games, I think we need to either got 2 up top, or 2 offensive midfielders behind the striker.
We are the best of the 3 teams and if we sit off and play cagey then we're setting ourselves up to fail.

Rhodes got a goal at the weekend, so i'd be hoping he carries that on. Fletch looked decent, but isn't sharp and spurned 3 good changes. That he's getting on the end of things does suggest that with another game or two he could be finding the net regularly as well. We could soon have 3 regular scorers in the championships in Rhodes, Fletch and McBurnie all challenging for Griffs spot.

The midfield 3 should be offensively weighted either way. McTominay makes sense, he's got ability, does the job well, is tidy on the ball and he doesn't tend to make mistakes. McGregor is probably our most dynamic attacking mid right now, so again it just makes sense to have him involved. And the 3rd spot needs to be an all-rounder who can do both jobs.. So that's were Armstrong and Cairney come into it. We go with whichever one is in better form.

I'm leaning towards wanting a 352 at the moment..

Griffiths - McBurnie/Rhodes
Robertson - Armstrong - McTominay - McGregor - Fraser
Tierney - McKenna/Mulgrew - Hendry
Gordon

39 minutes ago, andyD said:

For the Nations League games, I think we need to either got 2 up top, or 2 offensive midfielders behind the striker.
We are the best of the 3 teams and if we sit off and play cagey then we're setting ourselves up to fail.

Rhodes got a goal at the weekend, so i'd be hoping he carries that on. Fletch looked decent, but isn't sharp and spurned 3 good changes. That he's getting on the end of things does suggest that with another game or two he could be finding the net regularly as well. We could soon have 3 regular scorers in the championships in Rhodes, Fletch and McBurnie all challenging for Griffs spot.

The midfield 3 should be offensively weighted either way. McTominay makes sense, he's got ability, does the job well, is tidy on the ball and he doesn't tend to make mistakes. McGregor is probably our most dynamic attacking mid right now, so again it just makes sense to have him involved. And the 3rd spot needs to be an all-rounder who can do both jobs.. So that's were Armstrong and Cairney come into it. We go with whichever one is in better form.

I'm leaning towards wanting a 352 at the moment..

Griffiths - McBurnie/Rhodes
Robertson - Armstrong - McTominay - McGregor - Fraser
Tierney - McKenna/Mulgrew - Hendry
Gordon

Bang on mate, exactly what I would go with right now. The 3-5-2 allows us to get Robertson and Tierney in the same team. Then the way I see it we have a choice of 3 for the holding role in Midfield, McTominay, McArthur or McDonald. Then a choice of McGinn, Cairney, Armstrong or McGregor for the more offensive Midfield positions. Either 3 offensive Midfielders or 2 Strikers. Would be tempted with two Strikers against teams we are ranked higher than but I think McTominay in the holding role and McGinn, Mcregor and Armstrong ahead of him would be great as every one brings something different with McGinn a great ball winner and can carry it, McGregor very industrious finds little pockets of space agoal threat and Armstrong is dynamic quick and a goal threat also. McTominay lying deep, McGinn and Armstrong box to box and McGregor in the hole behind Griffith's.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:52 PM, ger intae them said:

Collins was class, way better than mcstay.

His quality was keeping the quality against real quality opposition.

Sorry got to disagree - Collins couldn't lace McStay's boots - McStay was one of the most naturally gifted midfielders in Europe at his peak - stayed way too loyal to Celtic for his own good, Collins was a cracking player though.

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Why does every on want to play Robertson out of position? To allow Tierney to play out of position?, in fact just about every one out of position bar Gordon

I really do not understand where you are coming from with players playing out of position in a 3-5-2! Professional football players are capable of playing in different formations. Brendan Rodgers changes his formation net enough every week between 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 depending on the opposition. Good players are flexible and can play a number of formations. As for Tierney and Robertson. We played 3-5-2 at home v England, Tierney played left sided Centre back and done very well. The 3-5-2 seems to suit the players we have in the squad at the minute as we have no decent right back whereas Ryan Fraser and James Forrest have both played very well as Wing Backs for their clubs. Anyway we don't have to pick a formation and be fixed with it, if things aren't going well we should be able to be flexible and change things at any point during a match.

11 hours ago, bazmidd said:

I really do not understand where you are coming from with players playing out of position in a 3-5-2! Professional football players are capable of playing in different formations. Brendan Rodgers changes his formation net enough every week between 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 depending on the opposition. Good players are flexible and can play a number of formations. As for Tierney and Robertson. We played 3-5-2 at home v England, Tierney played left sided Centre back and done very well. The 3-5-2 seems to suit the players we have in the squad at the minute as we have no decent right back whereas Ryan Fraser and James Forrest have both played very well as Wing Backs for their clubs. Anyway we don't have to pick a formation and be fixed with it, if things aren't going well we should be able to be flexible and change things at any point during a match.

Fair enough it's all about opinions I just think players are better in their natural positions in formations they are used to.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:37 AM, bazmidd said:

Talk me through your rationale of playing Hendry full stop.

He's nowhere near that level just now at CB, never mind in a back 3.