John Fleck - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

John Fleck

er yir macaroon

On 11/17/2018 at 3:31 PM, Paulus said:

Re Fleck's performance levels, I'm guessing you're a man for the stats/analysis side of the game but I'm not convinced it tells you the whole truth.  There has been a change in the way we've played over the last year or so.  In L1 we developed into a team that was so superior to most of the opposition that we became incredibly attack focused.  If the opposition caught us on the break we were confident we would still outscore them.  We took this into the Championship last season but against better players and managers we have gradually become more pragmatic and not as open as we were and this has impacted probably more on Fleck's role than anyone else's. His average position has moved back a few yards and the intricate stuff in and around the box is more likely to see Duffy, McGoldrick and the wing backs involved. 

Why's no one come in for him?  I fear that sooner or later someone might but it's also the case that he's being very well managed, He knows he has the managers total trust, he's the first name on the team sheet, he's been given improved terms twice in the three years he's been with us, he's still got a long contract in front of him.  Overrated I know but he's bought into the club there is a real buzz around the place, he's playing in front of 25,000+ week in week  out; you genuinely get the feeling the players are happy to be here and I guess finally who's going to come in for him?  I think he's unlikely to move to another championship team unless they offer stupid money (always possible) For various reasons I think it unlikely he'll go to either Celtic or Rangers and I doubt anyone else in Scotland would be able to put a deal together for him.  The biggest danger to us is a lower level EPL side in much the same way as we lost Brooks to the mighty Bournemouth but Fleck isn't Brooks.  The stupid money available in the EPL allowed Bournemouth to take a punt on Brooks, they bought potential knowing that if he developed over the next couple of years as he has the raw ability to do they'll have the possibility of flogging him onto a top EPL side for £80-£100 Million.  Because of his age/playing career etc. that isn't going to happen to Fleck he'll get bought as cover/squad player for someone like Newcastle if he goes anywhere.

I like a good stat, but they don't tell you everything, that's for sure. But when there's a notable change in someone's stats, especially when stepping up a tier, then I'm curious whether it's just that they're struggling against better opposition (which doesn't seem to be the case with Fleck) or if it's just something in their role in the side that's change. I don't watch United enough across the last few years to know the latter, so cheers for the insight.

Didn't know he's had 2 new contracts, that's going to put off people looking at him i guess. Generally people who've just signed deals will cost the earth or opt to not move. So shrewd moves by the club there. As for him buying into the club, I hear you. I think a very similar thing happened with Bannan across the city. He was generally a fringe player at Villa and never really felt appreciated. At Wednesday he became one of the first names on the teamsheet, is pivotal to the team and adored by the fans. It really does make a difference when you've been in the wilderness, be it the wilderness of League One or the Premiership bench. That said, Bannan may well move on as the Owls seem to have empties the coffers and so the rumours of £8m to Villa could well tempt them into cashing in. Certainly think Bannan plays better because he knows he's appreciated, and I assume the same is true of Fleck.

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

I like a good stat, but they don't tell you everything, that's for sure. But when there's a notable change in someone's stats, especially when stepping up a tier, then I'm curious whether it's just that they're struggling against better opposition (which doesn't seem to be the case with Fleck) or if it's just something in their role in the side that's change. I don't watch United enough across the last few years to know the latter, so cheers for the insight.

Didn't know he's had 2 new contracts, that's going to put off people looking at him i guess. Generally people who've just signed deals will cost the earth or opt to not move. So shrewd moves by the club there. As for him buying into the club, I hear you. I think a very similar thing happened with Bannan across the city. He was generally a fringe player at Villa and never really felt appreciated. At Wednesday he became one of the first names on the teamsheet, is pivotal to the team and adored by the fans. It really does make a difference when you've been in the wilderness, be it the wilderness of League One or the Premiership bench. That said, Bannan may well move on as the Owls seem to have empties the coffers and so the rumours of £8m to Villa could well tempt them into cashing in. Certainly think Bannan plays better because he knows he's appreciated, and I assume the same is true of Fleck.

If the Villa rumour is true it will be interesting to see how he fits in with McGinn (2 left-footers in the same midfield). Re Fleck, I think he is being embraced as a future replacement for McArthur; certainly he can perform a similar role.

16 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

If the Villa rumour is true it will be interesting to see how he fits in with McGinn (2 left-footers in the same midfield). Re Fleck, I think he is being embraced as a future replacement for McArthur; certainly he can perform a similar role.

Villa's midfield is usually McGinn, Hourihane and Grealish at the moment, no? So there's already 2 left footers. I'm not sure it's an issue.

Not sure there's an awful lot of future about Fleck. He's older than almost every other midfield options we have. Really not trying to do the boy down, but I can only see him ever being a back-up given the players we have available. It just makes more sense to go with the younger players who already have the shirt and are doing a decent job.

30 McDonald
28 Bannan
27 Fleck, Shinnie, Cairney
26 Armstrong, Jack, McLean
25 McGregor
24 Paterson, McGinn, Fulton
22 Henderson
21 McTominay
then you've got the Hamilton's and Gilmour's that you'd think might be involved in a few years a time.