Lunar Eclipse - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Plenty of great photos have appeared however...

Last super blood wolf moon for 18 years.

I managed to see some of the early stuff with the Earths shadow encroaching on the moon like the early pics, but nothing like the red colours in the later pics I guess it was a combination of wrong time and cloud cover.

36 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I managed to see some of the early stuff with the Earths shadow encroaching on the moon like the early pics, but nothing like the red colours in the later pics I guess it was a combination of wrong time and cloud cover.

Fascinating that the red comes from all the sunrises and sunsets happening at that moment on earth being reflected off the moon.

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

It clouded over last night, but the moon looks amazing tonight.

Really full and bright.

(I still see it as its' own light source, though.)

If it is its own light source, how do you explain the phases & how do you explain the (very well evidenced) eclipse?

On 1/20/2019 at 10:45 PM, Scotty CTA said:

I'm not convinced that's what is happening.

But you have no valid, well described hypothesis, which answers the questions anyone poses. So you're turning down that explanation purely on belief, with no evidence. It's fundamentalism.

You say you're working on a theory (actually you're working on a hypothesis) but there's a flaw in your reasoning already. You're not constructing a hypothesis to explain something, you're doing it because you're desperate to find a way to justify a flawed theory (flat earth).

3 minutes ago, biffer said:

But you have no valid, well described hypothesis, which answers the questions anyone poses. So you're turning down that explanation purely on belief...

At this point, you are correct.

4 minutes ago, biffer said:

How is that light powered?

Supernaturally.

50 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

It would still be its' own light source.

The moon has to be reflecting light to behave that way. If you look at it through a powerful enough telescope you can see the shadows cast by sunlight...

Moon-So-Highlands.jpg

Edited by Toepoke

32 minutes ago, biffer said:

So none of this has any relevance to science. So no point in engaging with any scientific argument. Nice of you to confirm that.

God trumps science.

I've always said that.

29 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The moon has to be reflecting light to behave that way. If you look at it through a powerful enough telescope you can see the shadows cast by sunlight...

Moon-So-Highlands.jpg

That doesn't look real.

#GerryAnderson

Edited by Scotty CTA

5 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

That doesn't look real.

#GerryAnderson

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

It's real alright. Head down to your local observatory and see for yourself...

https://www.galaxypix.com/solarsys/moon/MOC/index.htm?10

You come across here as being stubborn - Toepoke is spot on, this really is something that is a doddle to look at with your own eyes. A half decent telescope/binoculars looking at a waxing or waning moon over a period of nights will let you see something very much like that photo, with the shadows shortening & lengthening much as they do as the Sun moves here. So you can at least see for yourself it's a real photo of something that is having a light shone on it, not shining its own light.

12 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

You come across here as being stubborn

I genuinely guffawed at that.

That's the biggest understatement ever, deluding oneself might be better. Wilful denial etc.

Scotty is Certain about the bible, therefore anything that contradicts that view can be dismissed in ways that seem weird to us. That's why one should try and never be certain about anything.

Edited by phart

11 minutes ago, phart said:

I genuinely guffawed at that.

That's the biggest understatement ever, deluding oneself might be better. Wilful denial etc.

Scotty is Certain about the bible, therefore anything that contradicts that view can be dismissed in ways that seem weird to us. That's why one should try and never be certain about anything.

I’ve been told recently that one of my greatest professional skills is my patience (spending my days with kids trying to inflict injury on me round the clock I need it). 

Anyway, I’m with you on that but like to be polite 🙂

14 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I’ve been told recently that one of my greatest professional skills is my patience (spending my days with kids trying to inflict injury on me round the clock I need it). 

Anyway, I’m with you on that but like to be polite 🙂

They say it is a virtue, i'm still building mine up :)

It's always good to explain why you think something as it deepens your understanding, Feynman mentioned something like the  more he taught a subject the more he understood it.

It's an interesting subject whatever angle you view it from.

1 minute ago, phart said:

They say it is a virtue, i'm still building mine up :)

It's always good to explain why you think something as it deepens your understanding, Feynman mentioned something like the  more he taught a subject the more he understood it.

It's an interesting subject whatever angle you view it from.

It is good, & I've found teaching science to kids is brilliant as they will throw all sorts of questions at you...I'm working with pretty dysfunctional kids at the moment, but my last school was around 70% Muslim & they would often bring perspectives that you had to handle carefully. I learned a lot about both explaining Science & understanding why people develop misconceptions (as well as learning that there is a much greater openness to critical ideas in many communities than most people ever realise).

I'm not a professional scientist (unless you count social science) but I've had a big interest all my life.  I've also read the Bible more than once. I have no doubt that Scotty knows it infinitely better than I ever will, & I guess you have to respect that, but if you refuse to accept or even investigate what's easily observable, as highlighted on many threads, it actually creates a barrier to listening to any other, possibly more credible, elements.

It can be interesting to debate alternative models of the world/universe in an open-minded spirit, but there comes a point when it's just futile, if it's possible to just play the supernatural card, like a joker in the pack, that can be played at any point to trump all other arguments.

Or, the conspiracy card.

Even the simplest thing, like the Moon, whose craters can be seen with your own eyes through your own telescope, are accused of somehow being fake. 

Yet when we ask for evidence of (say) the circular hinge where the supposed ice platform meets the metallic vault, we are told that the evidence cannot be shown because it is hidden from us by unseen evil treaty forces!

So, conveniently, the conspiracy always seems to (a) deny scientists' physical evidence that actually exists, while (b) serve as an excuse for the lack of physical evidence of the supernatural alternative. 

So this way the conspiracy card can at any point simply be played to win any argument.  So, at this point, debate is futile.

15 minutes ago, exile said:

It can be interesting to debate alternative models of the world/universe in an open-minded spirit, but there comes a point when it's just futile, if it's possible to just play the supernatural card, like a joker in the pack, that can be played at any point to trump all other arguments.

Yeah that's why I don't play anymore. No point if they're certain no way to change mind.