Lunar Eclipse - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I am not even sure I was joking. This shit is getting confusing.  We have these mathematical projections which make globe shaped maps into flat shaped maps but it involves some pretty fucking mind bending math. Then we have these flat earth maps which I am not sure adhere to the rigours of the maths of the maps above. Then you have weird hybrid maps which are quasi real quasi pish. I am just trying to go with the flow at this point.

Hey, there's going to be an actual lunar eclipse!

(early Monday morning)

"On 21 January 2019 a total lunar eclipse will be visible over most of North America, South America and parts of west and north Europe. The rest of Europe and Africa can witness the end of the eclipse.

Those in the UK will be able to see every part of the eclipse as long as they are willing to stay up all night! The Moon will start to enter the Earth’s 

shadow just after 2:30am GMT and the maximum eclipse will occur just before 5:15am. The entire eclipse lasts for more than five hours, ending at 7:48am.

The optimal viewing time to see the eclipse is between 4:41am – 5:43am. This is the period of totality, where the moon lies entirely in the Earth’s umbra (full shadow) and will appear red. "

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/lunar-eclipse

22 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Aye heard that on the news earlier, will be the last for 10 years, hope it's clear!

Can that be right? I’m sure I read somewhere that everywhere on Earth sees at least one every 18 months? Not sure where I read that & not checked it out to be fair though. 

3 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Can that be right? I’m sure I read somewhere that everywhere on Earth sees at least one every 18 months? Not sure where I read that & not checked it out to be fair though. 

I suppose it depends on whether it's caused by the shadow of a ball earth, or some as yet explained physics...? 😉

Edited by exile

Just now, exile said:

I have suppose it depends on whether it's caused by the shadow of a ball earth, or some as yet explained physics...? 😉

Well, I’m going to make a little prediction that the shadow we see will look more or less circular. Which, if we are on a disc, means a very accurate alignment (even a small adjustment would give us an ellipse not a circle. So I’d be intrigued to see the FE model that explains how every lunar eclipse produces a circular shadow. 

(Although I’m sure they have one on YouTube!)

5 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Well, I’m going to make a little prediction that the shadow we see will look more or less circular. Which, if we are on a disc, means a very accurate alignment (even a small adjustment would give us an ellipse not a circle. So I’d be intrigued to see the FE model that explains how every lunar eclipse produces a circular shadow. 

(Although I’m sure they have one on YouTube!)

Also... if eclipses are too difficult to explain, (or can't be observed fir another ten years)  there is always the matter of the monthly waxing and waning of the moon, that looks suspiciously coincidentally like the shadow of a round planet on the surface of the Moon! 

10 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Perhaps it's the last one to be seen from the British Isles for 10 years? 

Oh and Flat Earth Ally RIP :( 

Edited by Toepoke

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Perhaps it's the last one to be seen from the British Isles for 10 years? 

I just tried to work this out. I think the 18 months thing maybe relates to every type of eclipse,  including partial ones. Also, sometimes we only see part of it, so maybe the 10-year thing means the next time we will see a full lunar eclipse from start to finish? That's just a guess mind you.

There's a table here anyway of predictions for the best part of the next 20 years:

http://www.mreclipse.com/Special/LEnext.html

3 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I just tried to work this out. I think the 18 months thing maybe relates to every type of eclipse,  including partial ones. Also, sometimes we only see part of it, so maybe the 10-year thing means the next time we will see a full lunar eclipse from start to finish? That's just a guess mind you.

There's a table here anyway of predictions for the best part of the next 20 years:

http://www.mreclipse.com/Special/LEnext.html

Not sure that 'predictions' is the right word here. Think that word is more suited to some of the other less scientific inclined posters stuff.

23 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Not sure that 'predictions' is the right word here. Think that word is more suited to some of the other less scientific inclined posters stuff.

Yes, I did think about that when I typed it. Part of me thought though that if it’s presented as a ‘prediction’ then the fact that every one will come true creates a challenge for FE supporters who need a model that makes it happen. 

7 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Yes, I did think about that when I typed it. Part of me thought though that if it’s presented as a ‘prediction’ then the fact that every one will come true creates a challenge for FE supporters who need a model that makes it happen. 

Fai point, however the thread was started as a Lunar eclipse thread and then infiltrated by the god bothering communuity.  I know I am probably more guilty than most of getting caught up some of these debates, but really. taking a step back and having a another look reveals that all of this god bothering an FE stuff is utter utter drivel. Probably best just to post the science without having to take account of the lunatic fringe,

6 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Fai point, however the thread was started as a Lunar eclipse thread and then infiltrated by the god bothering communuity.  I know I am probably more guilty than most of getting caught up some of these debates, but really. taking a step back and having a another look reveals that all of this god bothering an FE stuff is utter utter drivel. Probably best just to post the science without having to take account of the lunatic fringe,

Something that always amazes me about Bible-based FE proponents is that one of the things that ever made me believe in a god was staring out at the sky & just marvelling at the stunning beauty & vastness of it all. Why they want to lose that & stick everything on a dome baffles me. 

Edited by Huddersfield

12 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Something that always amazes me about Bible-based FE proponents is that one of the things that ever made me believe in a god was staring out at the sky & just marvelling at the stunning beauty & vastness of it all. Why they want to lose that & stick everything on a dome baffles me. 

To paraphrase Feynman, can't have the stage too big for the show.

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

...one of the things that ever made me believe in a god was staring out at the sky & just marvelling at the stunning beauty & vastness of it all. 

"How great are your works, O LORD! Your thoughts are very deep!"  Psalm 92:5

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Why they want to lose that & stick everything on a dome baffles me. 

We're not losing anything, though.

We look through the dome just like you do.

8 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Speaking of scientific language, I notice that the BBC are calling it a "super blood wolf moon" rather than something like...I don't know...an eclipse.

8 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

It's OK, the thread is about lunar eclipses but also explicitly invites discussion about explanation of astronomical or planetary phenomena (see 2nd post). 

If I recall, that was partly to focus such discussion on this thread rather than others. 

Edited by exile

As far as I recall, the original questions remain unanswered (also subsequent questions) unless accepting mainstream science. 

What causes an eclipse, (or monthly lunar cycles for that matter).  The shape of the moon, or what's under the Earth, etc, etc...  

2 hours ago, exile said:

It's OK, the thread is about lunar eclipses but also explicitly invites discussion about explanation of astronomical or planetary phenomena (see 2nd post). 

If I recall, that was partly to focus such discussion on this thread rather than others. 

Yep, I'd forgotten that, apologies. Another 'cloud out' last night!

Edited by Eisegerwind