Broadband speed map - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I couldn't upload screenshot from that site but here is similar from another site

bband_wglasgow.jpg

The 'digital divide' sees Hampden and Firhill in 'good'areas, Ibrox and Parkhead flagging. But it's not obvious why - Castlemilk is faster than Pollokshields...

NTL put cable into a lot of areas before they went bust & bought by Virgin.   Those areas will be much faster on average.

I live in one, but am not connected, so am ten times slower (~8Mb/s) than my post code's average (80Mb/s).

You can run a speed test here.

Another thing that raises local speeds is FTTC.   If they've fitted fibre to your local cabinet you'll get much faster speeds if it's within a few hundred metres.

NTL didn't actually go bust - they took over Telewest and are still going  - there really isn't any such thing as "Virgin" for broadband - that actually is NTL/Telewest with the Virgin brand logo on it. Branson does this a lot - nearly everything with the Virgin logo on it is just something he has some sort of deal with and usually shares in. When it get's ropey he pulls the brand - hence Virgin megastores becoming "Zavvi.

The Virgin airline might actually mainly be him, but it's never straightforward.

28 minutes ago, Lobey said:

NTL didn't actually go bust - they took over Telewest and are still going  - there really isn't any such thing as "Virgin" for broadband - that actually is NTL/Telewest with the Virgin brand logo on it. Branson does this a lot - nearly everything with the Virgin logo on it is just something he has some sort of deal with and usually shares in. When it get's ropey he pulls the brand - hence Virgin megastores becoming "Zavvi.

The Virgin airline might actually mainly be him, but it's never straightforward.

Ha :lol:    I'm trying my best here.  Memory is not a reliable source :(

Just this minute walked out on Blade Runner sequel before the finish. Memories ain't what they used to be.