Evidence of Evolution - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To be fair, this thread was started by Kimba, a Maddog alter ego, as I recall to shift this off other threads.

Unfortunately, rather than any sort of debate, I think we get evidence for evolution on one side, broadly met by Biblical cut & paste plus excerpts from 'Now That's Why You're Going To Hell 2018' on the other.

28 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

To be fair, this thread was started by Kimba, a Maddog alter ego, as I recall to shift this off other threads.

Unfortunately, rather than any sort of debate, I think we get evidence for evolution on one side, broadly met by Biblical cut & paste plus excerpts from 'Now That's Why You're Going To Hell 2018' on the other.

Ok, I forgot that; if we interpret it as the same person then it's 'their' thread, but, it's misleading because I thought it was meant to be about evidence of evolution.  Then I saw the little 'god' tag which if I'd seen before I would not have even entered the thread because for me there is simply no point discussing such things here. If I want a sermon I'll go to church, thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I was going to remind people there's already an 'evidence of evolution' thread.

So people can now choose whether to write about religion on the evolution  thread, or vice versa. 

Though to be honest I am only guessing the religion bit, I have no idea what the 'biggest baws' is about...

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly every creature on the planet has an anus to pass waste - coincidence ?

Then there is Active touch sensing

Insects antenna, mammalian whiskers and human finger tips - coincidence ?

I was reminded on the Noah's Ark Cardiff player thread about kangaroos.

Without evolution, when & where were they brought into existence? Were there any on the ark? If there were, how did they get to Australia without breeding anywhere else along the way?

If not, that seems to make the whole ark episode pointless, as presumably God could have waved any creature He liked back into existence anyway.

You could say the same for giraffes I suppose (there's a picture on the thread which shows the relative size of a giraffe to the ark as described in the Bible). How did the pair of giraffes get from the Middle East to the various parts of Africa where sub-species exist, but then travel thousands of miles leaving before starting another sub-species?

Then there's dodos...there are no end of creatures that are (or were) endemic to small parts of the world.

Edited by Huddersfield
typo

11 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I was reminded on the Noah's Ark Cardiff player thread about kangaroos.

Without evolution, when & where were they brought into existence? Were there any on the ark? If there were, how did they get to Australia without breeding anywhere else along the way?

If not, that seems to make the whole ark episode pointless, as presumably God could have waved any creature He liked back into existence anyway.

You could say the same for giraffes I suppose (there's a picture on the thread which shows the relative size of a giraffe to the ark as described in the Bible). How did the pair of giraffes get from the Middle East to the various parts of Africa where sub-species exist, but then travel thousands of miles leaving before starting another sub-species?

Then there's dodos...there are no end of creatures that are (or were) endemic to small parts of the world.

I thought the description of the population of the Earth by a diversity of species derived from predecessor versions of those  species sounded very much like evolution (adaptive radiation). 

25 minutes ago, exile said:

I thought the description of the population of the Earth by a diversity of species derived from predecessor versions of those  species sounded very much like evolution (adaptive radiation). 

That same thought crossed my mind. In Scotty’s post on the other thread he was basically saying that all dogs share a common ancestor that would look something like them but somehow or another the features of modern dogs have altered for whatever reason. The process by which the offspring of the ark dogs became everything from poodles to Alsatians would be interesting to hear. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47873072

New human species found in Philippines

Looks as if several human species died off around the same time time. Was it due to some grand extinction event?

Or more likely, out-competed by the most successful humans.... us?

So looking back to the dinosaurs, maybe they didn't die off due to a grand extinction event.

Just out-competed by the most successful dinosaurs.... chickens?! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This almost religious desire to have the first humans 'coming out of Africa' is up there with the big bang theory and global warming.

All three of those are just theories which are there to be disproven, or improved upon, by other folk who are smart enough and have the inclination to do so. Based on my limited knowledge I would guess that, homo sapiens first appearing in Africa, has more evidence behind it than the other two. That doesn't mean that I think that any of the three are 100% correct or 100% wrong. Just different amounts of evidence backing them up IMO.

Who do think has this religious desire?

Simplistically obviously meaning ignoring all current undisputed evidence 

Map shows years in 1000s - which was before the latest discoveries 

With the development of archaeological technology it's possible we will find more evidence to change the map 

1920px-Early_migrations_mercator.svg.png

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Simplistically obviously meaning ignoring all current undisputed evidence 

Map shows years in 1000s - which was before the latest discoveries 

With the development of archaeological technology it's possible we will find more evidence to change the map 

1920px-Early_migrations_mercator.svg.png

FFS. Not even a proper map, no ice wall or dome or anything,rubbish.