Johnston/Middleton - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Johnston/Middleton

SkyBlueScot

From what I've seen, Middleton is more a no nonsense beat the man and get the ball in type. He’s got good pace and also scores goals. Johnston seems both quick and very skilful. He may be the better prospect, but it could go either way, and my hope is both will make it to the full squad. Morgan is also there and conceivably all 3 could play together, with the two footed Morgan in the middle.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Johnston also eligibile for ROI... get him capped in the autumn before we have another mcgeady/mcarthy situation on our hands.

Absolutely. Though McGeady and McCarthy turned up ultimately to be no loss to us, we don't want anymore nonsense just in case.

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Absolutely. Though McGeady and McCarthy turned up ultimately to be no loss to us, we don't want anymore nonsense just in case.

Could argue that they were a huge loss (both qualified for 2 tournaments in the last few years while we stayed at home). 

Extremely fine margins, hypothetically could have made the difference...(personally wouldn't want either in my team mind you).

29 minutes ago, hawickta said:

Could argue that they were a huge loss (both qualified for 2 tournaments in the last few years while we stayed at home). 

Aye McGeady especially at his peak could have got us to a couple of tournaments. His loss, he could've been a hero in Scotland but chose a different path.

51 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Aye McGeady especially at his peak could have got us to a couple of tournaments. His loss, he could've been a hero in Scotland but chose a different path.

He wasn’t that good. Bale or Ronaldo could carry a team to s tournament. Aiden McGeady couldn’t. 

McGeady would have been a great option to have around 2010-2012 when Fletcher was struck down with his illness, and probably would have been a main stay in the team, but would he have made us that much better? Debatable, as end of the day, Ireland had Robbie Keane, so were good for goals, while we never had that luxury. So I doubt he would have made the difference between making a tournament or not.

Plus I felt he spent far to long in Russia, and think Everton signed him based on what he was doing for Ireland, rather than his week to week form at club level.

As for Johnston and Middleton, seen both at youth level for Scotland, and found Middleton to be the more exciting, but that is simply because he is good for goals, so has stood out.

Fingers crossed that both can progress.

I haven’t seen much of Michael Johnston but if Rangers keep struggling with attacking options I don’t think it will be long before Middleton is a fixture in the starting 11 at Ibrox. 

Will McLeish be looking to play with wingers though?

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I haven’t seen much of Michael Johnston but if Rangers keep struggling with attacking options I don’t think it will be long before Middleton is a fixture in the starting 11 at Ibrox. 

Will McLeish be looking to play with wingers though?

Unless both can make a Tierney style impact on Scottish football from the off, where you simply can not over look them (regardless of how young they are), one or both might make a squad before the end of the year, but I think it will be a long time before we see either near the main squad.

Unless Johnston goes on loan to St Mirren, I think there is more chance of seeing a lot more of Middleton next season.

40 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

When he was in the SPL he looked fast he didn't lose any  actual speed after his move.

Agreed he went on to play at a higher level regularly, but I remember him having some sensational performances for Celtic in the Champions League. He didn't seem to be the same player by the time he went to Moscow. 

Don't think mcgeady would of got us til tournaments. The main gripe everyone had imo was that he was at the time capable of becoming a top player in the world but chose Ireland when we clearly needed a talented creative flair player like him badly. It turned out he didn't quite fulfill his potential and tbh I feel Maloney was a better player anyways. Saying that he would of been a good option and would definitely started alot of games had he picked us.

It's just a pity as it stands two of our best young prospects will be spending the majority of their time on the bench and playing reserve league football this season as the Old Firm spend money on duffers. Both are ready for first team football they really should be playing a full season at this age to develop. Give the boys a chance. Same with Jack Aitchison btw what is the point of them playing another season of boys football

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

It's just a pity as it stands two of our best young prospects will be spending the majority of their time on the bench and playing reserve league football this season as the Old Firm spend money on duffers. Both are ready for first team football they really should be playing a full season at this age to develop. Give the boys a chance. Same with Jack Aitchison btw what is the point of them playing another season of boys football

Yes every one should go out on loan and the old firm are evil.  Johnston apparently is going out on loan and and if Middleton is any good he will get into the Rangers team. Who do you suggest lending him out to, Queen of the South or something.

Anyone rather than sitting on the bench at Celtic or Rangers. How can you ever learn to play football without actually playing football..... Rangers and Celtic do a lot of good for the Scottish national team, Celtic under Brendan Rodgers especially have recently made a point of developing home grown players. But young boys at those clubs are generally the best at their age in the country, but they are not as good as the first team players, unless they are very special, yet...... So they need to learn, need to play, to become better than the players they are hoping to replace. I'm not slating the old firm, it is what it is, they will always hoover up the best young talent as they simply have the bigger reputation better resources and more money to spend. They should not though hoover these players up and then leave them to rot from 18 till 21 kicking their heels on the bench or playing in reserve leagues until they are deemed no longer potential but past 21 and not good enough. If it's a loan a transfer or a Bit team great but something needs done to introduce full time men's football to these boys from 18 onwards or they will hit 21 22 like all the rest and not learned a jot

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Anyone rather than sitting on the bench at Celtic or Rangers. How can you ever learn to play football without actually playing football..... Rangers and Celtic do a lot of good for the Scottish national team, Celtic under Brendan Rodgers especially have recently made a point of developing home grown players. But young boys at those clubs are generally the best at their age in the country, but they are not as good as the first team players, unless they are very special, yet...... So they need to learn, need to play, to become better than the players they are hoping to replace. I'm not slating the old firm, it is what it is, they will always hoover up the best young talent as they simply have the bigger reputation better resources and more money to spend. They should not though hoover these players up and then leave them to rot from 18 till 21 kicking their heels on the bench or playing in reserve leagues until they are deemed no longer potential but past 21 and not good enough. If it's a loan a transfer or a Bit team great but something needs done to introduce full time men's football to these boys from 18 onwards or they will hit 21 22 like all the rest and not learned a jot

I think this was true 5 years ago but not now. A lot of Old Firm players go out on loan. At Celtic they play in the Champions League youth version against the best youths players in the world. Rangers have replicated that and played a series of games against the best youth teams in Europe, preparing their players for European and a International football. Over familiarity has held Scottish football back. Scottish players have no idea how to play against teams and players they’ve never encountered before. More than likely that’s Aberdeen and Hibs out of Europe already.