Chances of getting France in our Euro 2020 qualifying group? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chances of getting France in our Euro 2020 qualifying group?

Texas Pete

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

We will draw England 

I have a feeling they might keep us apart in the qualifiers since we’ll meet in the finals if we both qualify. 

I hope to god this does happen or we’ll need to put up with you insisting we’ll get England every 2 minutes for weeks before the draw. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We are in group 1 of League C. 

We are top seeds in group 1 as we were the third highest ranked (from UEFA coefficient) in League C and the four highest ranked teams in our league were top seeds.

The ranking we end up with will depend on our results in our 4 Nations League matches (this will be important for the qualifying pots and our chances of making the playoffs if we don’t win our NL group).

If we win our group we will make the playoffs. If we come second we will still have a good chance of a playoff but it will probably be against teams from League B.

It’s not the most straightforward of processes.  

Thank you Texas Pete. You should be handling the Brexit negotiations.

If we don't win our Nations League against Albania and Israel, and secure at least a March 2020 Playoff spot, the manager should be sacked before the regular Euro Qualifiers. No ifs, buts or maybees.

The March 2020 Play Offs i understood are a Semi Final then Final in one country for all the group A B C D group winners. 16 Teams. 8 Semi Finals, 4 Finals, over one week. Only Group A being Nations League Winner. Group B C D gaining place in Euro 2020.

In Euro 2020 Finals there are two matches at Hampden. If we qualify we will play in these two games at Hampden. There are also eight Matches at Wembley, two group matches, One QF,    One SF, and The Final. If England qualify they will play two group games at Wembley, and at least one QF or SF there should they get that far. IF  Scotland qualify, England will play their 3rd group match at Hampden, and Scotland will play another country at Wembley

Edited by Stockholm 1980

1 hour ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

If we don't win our Nations League against Albania and Israel, and secure at least a March 2020 Playoff spot, the manager should be sacked before the regular Euro Qualifiers. No ifs, buts or maybees.

The March 2020 Play Offs i understood are a Semi Final then Final in one country for all the group A B C D group winners. 16 Teams. 8 Semi Finals, 4 Finals, over one week. Only Group A being Nations League Winner. Group B C D gaining place in Euro 2020.

In Euro 2020 Finals there are two matches at Hampden. If we qualify we will play in these two games at Hampden. There are also eight Matches at Wembley, two group matches, One QF,    One SF, and The Final. If England qualify they will play two group games at Wembley, and at least one QF or SF there should they get that far. IF  Scotland qualify, England will play their 3rd group match at Hampden, and Scotland will play another country at Wembley

The play-offs in March will be played in lots of different countries. 

The Nations League final and semi finals will be played in June and will be played in one country.  

Italy, Poland and Portugal have expressed an interest in hosting this. This venue will be decided in December.

1 hour ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Isn’t that s bit disrespectful to Israel and Albania? I don’t think for a minute that we’ll win the group at a canter. If we play well then we should really win our home games and that should be enough to win the group if we pick anything at all up away from home. 

There are four matches at Hampden at Euro 2020 - three group games and a second round match. 

If we qualify we will be guaranteed a minimum of two games at Hampden. Whether or not we play our third game at home will depend on the outcome of a toss of a coin between Hampden and Wembley (assuming England also qualify). 

I have read different reports (mainly on shite websites like The Sun) which suggest we will definitely play one game at Wembley and England will definitely play one game at Hampden but the UEFA website does not confirm this so I don’t think it’s true. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Isn’t that s bit disrespectful to Israel and Albania? I don’t think for a minute that we’ll win the group at a canter. If we play well then we should really win our home games and that should be enough to win the group if we pick anything at all up away from home. 

There are four matches at Hampden at Euro 2020 - three group games and a second round match. 

If we qualify we will be guaranteed a minimum of two games at Hampden. Whether or not we play our third game at home will depend on the outcome of a toss of a coin between Hampden and Wembley (assuming England also qualify). 

I have read different reports (mainly on shite websites like The Sun) which suggest we will definitely play one game at Wembley and England will definitely play one game at Hampden but the UEFA website does not confirm this so I don’t think it’s true. 

If England and Scotland both qualify one of those teams will play all 3 group games at home. No prizes for guessing who that will be.;)

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If England and Scotland both qualify one of those teams will play all 3 group games at home. No prizes for guessing who that will be.;)

I’m fairness it probably should be Wembley just from a filling the stadium point of view. 

England v Scotland will definitely fill Wembley. Would Sweden v Slovenia or Austria v Norway? Probably not but they would probably get close to filling Hampden.

Luckily, the decision isn’t based on stadium size and it would be down to luck.

I’m sure the coin toss would be open and above board. We all know there is no corruption in football. 😉

To be honest I wouldn’t actually mind another trip to Wembley. If you offered most fans qualification now but we had to play England in London they would probably bite your hand off. 

I would not change our manager if we don't top our Nations League, but I will be severely disappointed. I am concerned with our form since changing our Manager, I understand its not been ideal based on the opposition  but we can't claim any sort of form or positive run of results or even good performances.  We will get gubbed versus Belgium so our record will be 1 win and likely 4 losses going into our first competitive game without a settled squad and formation.  

Circumstances at the end of the last campaign dictated we were playing with intent but that is all lost now.  

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I would not change our manager if we don't top our Nations League, but I will be severely disappointed. I am concerned with our form since changing our Manager, I understand its not been ideal based on the opposition  but we can't claim any sort of form or positive run of results or even good performances.  We will get gubbed versus Belgium so our record will be 1 win and likely 4 losses going into our first competitive game without a settled squad and formation.  

Circumstances at the end of the last campaign dictated we were playing with intent but that is all lost now.  

Hungary was a decent performance and result. 

The only game that was a little concerning for me was the Costa Rica match but that was McLeish’s first game and it’s not as if we were thrashed. 

I don’t really put too much stock in friendlies anyway but the Mexico and Peru fixtures told us nothing really in terms of how we’ll play against Albania and Israel as we more or less took B squads to these games. 

I wouldn’t panic just yet. We’ll see for sure how things will go on 10 September. 

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Can someone explain how bitcoin works? It’ll be a lot easier than trying to understand this pile of pish 

It's pretty straight forward if you can be bothered doing a wee bit of reading. Like many things in life, if you can't be bothered to learn, you won't understand.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Bitcoin or the nation league?

Bitcoin is a wee bit more complicated IMO. I got bored reading about that so I stopped. I only got a wee bit interested in the first place because of the link to prime numbers. Most 7 year old children could understand the Nations League if they were interested. Next time you see one you could ask them if they could help you out.;)

On 7/16/2018 at 5:52 PM, Clyde1998 said:

There's a one in ten chance we'll play France.

If we win our Nations League group, we'll be in Pot 3 for the Euro qualifiers - otherwise we'll almost certainly be in Pot 4.

That says to me we really need to win our nations league group.
Scotland wont be qualifying from any group where we are 4th seeds.

But : we might be able to beat Albania and Israel