Chances of getting France in our Euro 2020 qualifying group? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chances of getting France in our Euro 2020 qualifying group?

Texas Pete

Since we’ve had the world champions in our last three European Championship qualifying groups (and the runners up four groups ago when Germany were second to Brazil) I’m pretty sure we’ll end up with France.

Or am I being paranoid?

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If we win our Group C  v Israel and Albania and get promoted to League B, then who are we likely to face?

The nations league and euro qualifying are two separate things. Win the national league group and it guarantees us a play off place if we don't finish first or second in the traditional qualifiers.

Edited by Scotland Ever More

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If we win our Group C  v Israel and Albania and get promoted to League B, then who are we likely to face?

Does not work like that, once the Nations league games are finished in November we then get a more traditional Euro Qualifying group, with a whole campaign done over 2019, rather than spread out over a year and a half.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Since we’ve had the world champions in our last three European Championship qualifying groups (and the runners up four groups ago when Germany were second to Brazil) I’m pretty sure we’ll end up with France.

Or am I being paranoid?

There's a one in ten chance we'll play France.

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If we win our Nations League group, we'll be in Pot 3 for the Euro qualifiers - otherwise we'll almost certainly be in Pot 4.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

There's a one in ten chance we'll play France.

Yeah I get that. I meant that I think we’ll probably get them as we’ve had the reigning world champions in our last three European Championship qualifying groups. 

I was suggesting we have bad luck when it comes to qualifying draws. 

I’d rather get Germany or Spain given their below par performances at the World Cup. 

It might even be 1 in 9 anyway. I’m not sure but will they keep us and England apart in the draw?

We may get them yes, top two from each group go through to the EURO's guaranteed.  The winners of each league A,B,C and D in the Nations League will play a league semifinal/final with each league sending a delegate for the remaining 4 spots - those play offs happen in March 2020 AFTER the regular qualifying has concluded.  Should a winner of the league system( already have qualified through the regular channel, then the play off spot will go to the next best placed team(s).

What is not clear to me, is where the final will be played for the Nations league final, I was reading wiki and it said those would be drawn in March 2020 - but as far I can tell the semi's and final are not over two legs. 

32 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We may get them yes, top two from each group go through to the EURO's guaranteed.  The winners of each league A,B,C and D in the Nations League will play a league semifinal/final with each league sending a delegate for the remaining 4 spots - those play offs happen in March 2020 AFTER the regular qualifying has concluded.  Should a winner of the league system( already have qualified through the regular channel, then the play off spot will go to the next best placed team(s).

What is not clear to me, is where the final will be played for the Nations league final, I was reading wiki and it said those would be drawn in March 2020 - but as far I can tell the semi's and final are not over two legs. 

The finals of the Nations League will be played in one of the countries from League A that win their group (only teams from League A can actually win the Nations League).

If we win our Nations League group we’ll make the playoffs for the Euro 2020 (this is not the Nations League finals).

The playoff semifinal will be played in the country that is the highest ranked of the two teams and where the final playoff is played will be decided on the toss of a coin.

39 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Play off’s are over the March 2020 international week.

top seeded team are at home for their first game (so basically means we will be at Hampden should we be in the play offs), but this is where the fun starts..... ie on the Friday night at Hampden v Estonia, we could be waiting on the winner of Cyprus v Azerbaijan to know where we will be playing on the Monday, with no real idea where game will be...

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

top seeded team are at home for their first game (so basically means we will be at Hampden should we be in the play offs), but this is where the fun starts..... ie on the Friday night at Hampden v Estonia, we could be waiting on the winner of Cyprus v Azerbaijan to know where we will be playing on the Monday, with no real idea where game will be...

I think we'll be fine:

Each play-off path will feature two single-leg semi-finals, and one single-leg final, taking place in March 2020. The best-ranked team will host the fourth-ranked team, and the second-ranked team will host the third-ranked team. The host of the final will be decided by a draw in November 2019 between the two semi-final pairings.

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I never even thought of that. The whole thing is a bit daft really. If we make the playoff final and lose the coin toss it will be a nightmare trying to book flights, accommodation and buy a match ticket.

Even if the final is at Hampden how are the SFA going to arrange a ticket sale in 2 days? 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I never even thought of that. The whole thing is a bit daft really. If we make the playoff final and lose the coin toss it will be a nightmare trying to book flights, accommodation and buy a match ticket.

Even if the final is at Hampden how are the SFA going to arrange a ticket sale in 2 days? 

Yep, a double header in the one venue would have been the best way to do it (and that’s what all the media expected just before it was announced), now you have a case of 10pm on a Friday night leaving Hampden and checking flights and visa’s to Baku for a game 3/4 days later (this is the one aspect of the whole thing that UEFA did not think through from a fans perspective)....

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Man this is confusing, so they will do a draw for a final which could be host city which may or may not be a neutral venue. This play-off final is for the final 4 spots for EURO 2020. 

As the playoffs are over one leg it would be fairer if they were all at neutral venues. 

It would be a bit unfair if a team made the playoff final and had to play at the stadium of the other finalist. 

We wouldn’t complain if it was Hampden though I suppose. 

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yep, a double header in the one venue would have been the best way to do it (and that’s what all the media expected just before it was announced), now you have a case of 10pm on a Friday night leaving Hampden and checking flights and visa’s to Baku for a game 3/4 days later (this is the one aspect of the whole thing that UEFA did not think through from a fans perspective)....

Apparently the final venue is decided in November 2019 so if we do make the playoffs we’ll know where the final is in advance should we win our first match. 

Most folk would need to wait until we win the first match before booking flights and accommodation though (unless they are willing to gamble) so we’d still only have 2 days to sort everything. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Apparently the final venue is decided in November 2019 so if we do make the playoffs we’ll know where the final is in advance should we win our first match. 

Most folk would need to wait until we win the first match before booking flights and accommodation though (unless they are willing to gamble) so we’d still only have 2 days to sort everything. 

Yes, I suspect UEFA have done this as a bit of a ploy to get more bums of seats for the “finals”, as most people will take the gamble, then it’s a case of (ie) do they bin their £150 flights and hotel in Sofia for the final, or do they go to the Estonia v Finland final in Sofia?

Most fans will take the gamble, and being the top seed in our group, most folk will view that as one foot in the final....

Will be interesting once that time comes.

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yes, I suspect UEFA have done this as a bit of a ploy to get more bums of seats for the “finals”, as most people will take the gamble, then it’s a case of (ie) do they bin their £150 flights and hotel in Sofia for the final, or do they go to the Estonia v Finland final in Sofia?

Most fans will take the gamble, and being the top seed in our group, most folk will view that as one foot in the final....

Will be interesting once that time comes.

We’re the top seed in our group but we were the third ranked team in League C. If all the top seeds in League C win their group (and fail to qualify in the traditional way) then we will probably be away to Romania in the playoff semi. Anyone who thinks this is one foot in the final hasn’t been following Scotland for very long.

I’m not sure I’d be willing to gamble that much money that we’d beat Romania away. I certainly wouldn’t go to the playoff final if we don’t make it (although I’m sure some people would). 

Each play-off path will feature two single-leg semi-finals, and one single-leg final, taking place in March 2020. The best-ranked team will host the fourth-ranked team, and the second-ranked team will host the third-ranked team. The host of the final will be decided by a draw in November 2019 between the two semi-final pairings.

So is that the current (2017) ranking used to determine these Nations Leagues, or is it the ranking after the Nat L group stages are done?

The latter will be used to seed teams for the Euro draw and for each group (A,B,C,D)...

Overall ranking is based on position in group, then earned points, goal difference, scored goal, scored away goals, number of wins, number of away wins, disciplinary points, coefficient.

1 minute ago, Grim Jim said:

So is that the current (2017) ranking used to determine these Nations Leagues, or is it the ranking after the Nat L group stages are done?

I'd imagine that it would be based on the Nations League ranking after the group stages.

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We’re the top seed in our group but we were the third ranked team in League C. If all the top seeds in League C win their group (and fail to qualify in the traditional way) then we will probably be away to Romania in the playoff semi. Anyone who thinks this is one foot in the final hasn’t been following Scotland for very long.

I’m not sure I’d be willing to gamble that much money that we’d beat Romania away. I certainly wouldn’t go to the playoff final if we don’t make it (although I’m sure some people would). 

Now you've really lost me. 'Our group'? Which? Group C? So how can we be third ranked? I just want to now how we can actually qualify for Euro 2020.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Now you've really lost me. 'Our group'? Which? Group C? So how can we be third ranked? I just want to now how we can actually qualify for Euro 2020.

We are in group 1 of League C. 

We are top seeds in group 1 as we were the third highest ranked (from UEFA coefficient) in League C and the four highest ranked teams in our league were top seeds.

The ranking we end up with will depend on our results in our 4 Nations League matches (this will be important for the qualifying pots and our chances of making the playoffs if we don’t win our NL group).

If we win our group we will make the playoffs. If we come second we will still have a good chance of a playoff but it will probably be against teams from League B.

It’s not the most straightforward of processes.  

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Or am I being paranoid?

We will draw England