Ryanair Baggage? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryanair Baggage?

I’ve just checked in for a flight on Friday and see they now say as a pikey non priority boarder I can only get a wee 35cmx20x20 into the cabin.

Now that’s silly small. I’ve a bag that I use all the time that fits under the seat in front but it is certainly larger than those dimensions.

Will they insist it goes into the hold and will they charge me for this? 

Thanks folks!

I flew with them recently and when the boarding queue got to a certain point, they started approaching passengers saying we needed to put luggage in the hold - even ordinary sized sports bags etc. The Ryanair person pointed to the little notice on the boarding card saying look see it says there (and the picture is of what looks like a handbag). Se everyone with a normal cabin sized bag had to put their bags to go into the hold. However (to answer your question) it wasn't charged.  At least in my case.

My guess is that the people earlier in the queue got away with it, but they keep an eye out for the cabin filling up and after a certain point start to enforce it. So it's what sometimes happened before, except this time they write in advance that you are not guaranteed to be allowed it on.  

279529_60_news_hub_multi_750x0.png

Edited by exile

You can take  normal size small suitcase/luggage bag with you (whatever their dimensions are these days) and that goes security with you like before.

What's changed, as exile says, is whilst you are queuing at the boarding gate, they may then offer to stick in the hold (for free).  Which is much better IMO and means the luggage holders on the plane are less crammed.

If they don't offer to place it in the hold, you can just carry it on the plane as you did before.

On top of that you can the the wee handbag sized bag onto the plan.

I don't get why someone would want to pay priority these days apart from to save 10-15 on arrival waiting for you suitcase to emerge.

Make sure you keep your passport with you and don't put it in a bag that goes in the hold, otherwise you can't get through passport control as you don't have a passport with you.  Seems to be causing major problems.

14 hours ago, macy37 said:

Thanks folks. I’ll just play the diabetes card and inform them I’m carrying insulin in my bag so it can’t go into the hold as it might freeze. Job done.

I think it's an improvement letting you put it in the hold. Just put your insulin (and passport etc) in your wee handbag.  😉

Edited by fringo

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Ormond said:

I read of someone being told en-route to Albania recently that his sporran was classed as his hand luggage on a Ryanair.

On our way back from Paris years ago whilst transferring at Gatwick, we were told the same by some airport employee!