If Croatia can do it, so can we. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If Croatia can do it, so can we.

er yir macaroon

On 7/18/2018 at 5:43 PM, SkyBlueScot said:

I genuinely feel very positive. All the good things that have happened to Croatia may be happening to us. The future is very bright. Ok, I'm not expecting world cup finals but I expect qualifications over the next 10 years.

Middleton, Johnston, Gilmour, Morgan, McTominay, Burke are coming through across the midfield that's already fairly strong. Henderson's future looks bright and who knows about Gauld. If several of these make it then they'll be joining McGregor and Armstrong and maybe force them out.

I think there's a bit too much pressure on McKenna as there's not huge number of young centre backs coming through. But if he makes it and Bates comes good we will changing our outlook.

Ok, I know It's all 'what Ifs' but I'm taking a moment to think positive. (My hero's just gone into yellow on thr TdeF so i'm on a high.)

And i know I've not mentioned the striker situation!

:)

Fair points, although I don't want to be a doom-monger and ask if it's a bit too early to claim McGregor and Armstrong are some kind of established midfield that the others have to aspire to. Im a massive fan of McGregor and both have tonnes of potential, but it's a bit of a stretch to claim either have had huge success in the national team. Using current squad players as a benchmark is setting a pretty low bar given the grim realities of the last couple of campaigns.

Look forward to watching these players develop though and hope to see them perform well for their clubs first and foremost. Playing regularly at a big club should be their over-riding priority at the moment. 

On 7/18/2018 at 12:43 PM, SkyBlueScot said:

I genuinely feel very positive. All the good things that have happened to Croatia may be happening to us. The future is very bright. Ok, I'm not expecting world cup finals but I expect qualifications over the next 10 years.

Middleton, Johnston, Gilmour, Morgan, McTominay, Burke are coming through across the midfield that's already fairly strong. Henderson's future looks bright and who knows about Gauld. If several of these make it then they'll be joining McGregor and Armstrong and maybe force them out.

I think there's a bit too much pressure on McKenna as there's not huge number of young centre backs coming through. But if he makes it and Bates comes good we will changing our outlook.

Ok, I know It's all 'what Ifs' but I'm taking a moment to think positive. (My hero's just gone into yellow on thr TdeF so i'm on a high.)

And i know I've not mentioned the striker situation!

Lots of midfielders there, maybe levein was onto something... 

4-6-0 anyone?

New spain

On 7/23/2018 at 6:08 AM, Dogbiscuit said:

The biggest problem we have is a psychological one. You can't win anything without belief, and too many people in Scotland believe that we can't do things.

Here's an interesting article:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/sliding-out-doors/

That’s bang on. We are beat at every single thing before it starts. Whether that be sport or polling booths.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You always come across as someone with a very low opinion of the Scottish people. 

Perhaps people like you are the problem.

Yes. We have a history of being brave at looking forward and trying new things. I’m sorry, I was wrong. 🙄

Edited by Ormond

32 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yes. We have a history of being brave at looking forward and trying new things. I’m sorry, I was wrong. 🙄

I would say the rest of the world regards us as a brave and innovative nation,

I'm not sure what this has to do with us being crap at football though

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Don’t kid yourself. The rest of the World sees us for the cowards we are. The only place in history to continue to suck London’s balls when all we had to do was mark a box. 

Our football team? Exactly the same. For decades we have rolled over and accepted the total garbage that our football authorities have given us. Failure after failure and the same old whimper comes from us. We are fed the same old pish and we accept it like sheep.

Face it, we are servile to whichever master we have. 

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is this true though? Im not convinced it is and if they do, I think it's more likely to be based on Braveheart, John Logie Baird and the industrial revolution. Historically, there is no doubt we were a brave and innovative nation but more recently, not so much. More recently, if you asked people what they thought of us, they'd say we're up for a good drink and a laugh - not sure brave and innovative would come in to it.

Not being pessimistic, just how it seems to me.

16 hours ago, Ormond said:

Don’t kid yourself. The rest of the World sees us for the cowards we are. The only place in history to continue to suck London’s balls when all we had to do was mark a box. 

Our football team? Exactly the same. For decades we have rolled over and accepted the total garbage that our football authorities have given us. Failure after failure and the same old whimper comes from us. We are fed the same old pish and we accept it like sheep.

Face it, we are servile to whichever master we have. 

To be fair, we've been subtly brainwashed into being this way for a very long time. So it's not our fault. But we need to change it.

5 hours ago, Dogbiscuit said:

To be fair, we've been subtly brainwashed into being this way for a very long time. So it's not our fault. But we need to change it.

Weak minds are brainwashed easily. 

6 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Don't think Charlie Miller would have made it in Croatia either!

I think one of our big problems is that we insist on success from a very early age rather than develop  the techniques  pressure free first.

Bottom line, we have been miles behind countries of our size for years and despite the success of Croatia there are still only a hand full of countries likely to win anything.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't think Charlie Miller would have made it in Croatia either!

I think one of our big problems is that we insist on success from a very early age rather than develop  the techniques  pressure free first.

Bottom line, we have been miles behind countries of our size for years and despite the success of Croatia there are still only a hand full of countries likely to win anything.

I’m fairly sure your middle paragraph is no longer the case.