For better or for worse - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

For better or for worse

Now with almost half of the Premier teams in competitive action seems a good time to assess whether you think your team has got better or worse with players leaving or coming in. As a Rangers fan I feel we have improved with the signings we've  made, particularly McGregor and Arfield. I also hope Umar can solve some of our goal scoring issues as I'm not confident about Model is. I think we'll close the gap on Celtic but they're still a lot better and will win the league. Will probably overtook Aberdeen who seem to be weaker now than at the end of the season. So, what about your team and player/ managerial changes?

Motherwell for the first time in a while have (so far) kept hold of everyone we wanted to keep hold of, off loaded some dead wood and added sone new faces.

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair could finally be a suitable replacement for Stevie Hammel, Danny Johnson scored a good goal the other night. Hartley and particularly Tanner returning from long term injuries could be like 2 new players.

Motherwell have undoubtedly supplemented their squad, so should have more strength and depth than last season. Got to be looking for top 6, and someone to knock Celtic out the cups for us.

All this does hinge on us not losing Carson, Cadden or Kipre before a balls kicked.

I haven't really been following things at club level yet this summer. I know we've sold Tadic and we've bought someone from Celtic. Let me check his name....Stuart Armstrong. Apparently he's 26 and has played 6 times for Scotland. You must forgive my ignorance at never having heard of him before - it's just what happens when I don't regularly get to see Scotland in major tournaments anymore. Back in the 80's and 90's I could always name large chunks of your squad. 😧 Anyway, I digress. So, is Armstrong any good? £7 million seems a decent price considering what players go for nowadays. Good for a few years too. I just hope he doesn't mind not winning anything after having so much success at Celtic.

6 hours ago, George Saint said:

I haven't really been following things at club level yet this summer. I know we've sold Tadic and we've bought someone from Celtic. Let me check his name....Stuart Armstrong. Apparently he's 26 and has played 6 times for Scotland. You must forgive my ignorance at never having heard of him before - it's just what happens when I don't regularly get to see Scotland in major tournaments anymore. Back in the 80's and 90's I could always name large chunks of your squad. 😧 Anyway, I digress. So, is Armstrong any good? £7 million seems a decent price considering what players go for nowadays. Good for a few years too. I just hope he doesn't mind not winning anything after having so much success at Celtic.

Surprised you haven't heard of your newest signing seeing in a moment of madness he set up your equaliser against us at Hampden. Other than that he should be a good acquisition.

6 hours ago, George Saint said:

IMO, at present Scotland have  three very good players and Armstrong is one of them. Not sure if that helps in your assessment though? 

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Surprised you haven't heard of your newest signing seeing in a moment of madness he set up your equaliser against us at Hampden. Other than that he should be a good acquisition.

I think I was still too much in shock at that stage to notice anything. Just watched it again now - if he'd passed left you would have had a four on two breakaway. 

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

IMO, at present Scotland have  three very good players and Armstrong is one of them. Not sure if that helps in your assessment though? 

It does, thanks. We're only Southampton, so I wasn't expecting a Neymar or a Messi. If someone is one of Scotland's best players, they're more than good enough for us. I'm happy with him and I hope he does well.

22 minutes ago, George Saint said:

I think I was still too much in shock at that stage to notice anything. Just watched it again now - if he'd passed left you would have had a four on two breakaway. 

Absolutely!  He's a good player, and I hope for all our sakes that he does well with you.

23 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Now with almost half of the Premier teams in competitive action seems a good time to assess whether you think your team has got better or worse with players leaving or coming in. As a Rangers fan I feel we have improved with the signings we've  made, particularly McGregor and Arfield. I also hope Umar can solve some of our goal scoring issues as I'm not confident about Model is. I think we'll close the gap on Celtic but they're still a lot better and will win the league. Will probably overtook Aberdeen who seem to be weaker now than at the end of the season. So, what about your team and player/ managerial changes?

Aberdeen, who have yet to play a competitive game, seem weaker than last season?

Thats a very strange assessment to make. We lost McLean, who only really turned up for us after we signed him in loan, Christie, who didn’t really do much at all second half of the season and O’Connor, who apparently hated us anyway. 

Lets see what happens before we start discussing Aberdeen’s “cycle” ending again, we all know what happened last season. Rangers took 10 points off of Aberdeen and still couldn’t finish on top of them, maybe calm your expectations a bit :lol:

31 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Aberdeen, who have yet to play a competitive game, seem weaker than last season?

Thats a very strange assessment to make. We lost McLean, who only really turned up for us after we signed him in loan, Christie, who didn’t really do much at all second half of the season and O’Connor, who apparently hated us anyway. 

Lets see what happens before we start discussing Aberdeen’s “cycle” ending again, we all know what happened last season. Rangers took 10 points off of Aberdeen and still couldn’t finish on top of them, maybe calm your expectations a bit :lol:

Tbf, without knowing the ins and outs of Aberdeen's activity this summer, you mentioned losing Christie (42 appearances, 8 goals, 15 assists), MacLean (47 appearances, 11 goals, 6 assists) and O'Connor (49 appearances, 2 goals, 3 assists) they all seemed to make a significant contribution and without replacing them there is an argument that their departures have weakened the Aberdeen team?

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Unusually as a Rangers fan I have a soft spot for Aberdeen. My concern is you've lost a dozen players and only brought in three which leaves the squad threadbare. I think last season the Dons could put together a decent first eleven but the squad was lacking in depth and quality. There's time left to bring in a few signings but Milne' s lack of ambition would worry me. Get a decent goal scoring forward and a couple of others and things might look better.

10 hours ago, theweestevie said:

Tbf, without knowing the ins and outs of Aberdeen's activity this summer, you mentioned losing Christie (42 appearances, 8 goals, 15 assists), MacLean (47 appearances, 11 goals, 6 assists) and O'Connor (49 appearances, 2 goals, 3 assists) they all seemed to make a significant contribution and without replacing them there is an argument that their departures have weakened the Aberdeen team?

We’ve got replacements for all 3 players you’ve mentioned, so I’ve no idea where you thing we haven’t replaces them. Are they any good, who knows, they’ve only played a couple of friendlies so far. All I’m saying is, let’s leave the judgements until the real stuff starts. 

For the first time i years i am optistic about scottish football. Celtic are still a bit too far out moneywise. But i think there will be a lot of good competitive gamea thia aeason. Celtic wont get it wasy at a lot of away grounds. And i donr think anyone can predict the othee matches.  So. Lets go !!! ☺

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

We’ve got replacements for all 3 players you’ve mentioned, so I’ve no idea where you thing we haven’t replaces them. Are they any good, who knows, they’ve only played a couple of friendlies so far. All I’m saying is, let’s leave the judgements until the real stuff starts. 

Like I said I'm not aware of the ins and outs of what Aberdeen have done this summer. I was just going on your post where you mentioned that those three had left but didn't mention anything about replacements.