league cup - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

12 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Throw in Hearts and Dons fans, and neither side of the OF only taking 1.5k fans to the others ground.

Chaos will ensue. And the SFA will scratch their bums and wonder what they could have done differently.

Was Monday night considered? Murrayfield? 

J

eh?  they take 25k each to Hampden when they play each other.  all going to the same ground on the same day from the same city centre.

This time they've got half a day between them - it's actually less of a problem.  Unless we're saying Aberdeen fans who will be going straight up the road by dint of the kick off time will be causing a problem.

I think the ones that shout loudest about trouble want trouble as somewhere in their tiny heads it makes the game more of an event.. even the chance of it..  They're few and far between.

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

eh?  they take 25k each to Hampden when they play each other.  all going to the same ground on the same day from the same city centre.

This time they've got half a day between them - it's actually less of a problem.  Unless we're saying Aberdeen fans who will be going straight up the road by dint of the kick off time will be causing a problem.

I think the ones that shout loudest about trouble want trouble as somewhere in their tiny heads it makes the game more of an event.. even the chance of it..  They're few and far between.

You’re being a bit disingenuous with this.

Rangers and Celtic never play at home on the same day, this isn’t a coincidence.

Potentially 100,000 fans all coming in and out of Glasgow for the games isn’t a great idea.

Maybe the fans of all 4 sides will surprise us and show that football fans can behave and mingle like normal folk....

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

What about the pies? hampdne never has enough anyway, the poor tims and jambos will starve😂😂

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who was from a “staunch” family, his granny bought a fish supper every Friday “because it meant one less for them

:lol:

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Only using this point as it's been the complaint from the 2 Hearts fans so far, how does Monday night help the game being played at 7:45? Surely it makes it worse?

Have a swatch at the public transport timetables for a Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hopefully huns do their usual and wreck seats/toilets after a defeat and the 2nd game gets called off.

Entirely possible.

11 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Have a swatch at the public transport timetables for a Sunday. 

Aye, I've seen it's a shambles getting back to Edinburgh. Is it much better on a Monday though? You'd still have the potential for the game finishing past 10pm if ET came into play. Most would also have less time to get through to Glasgow due to working.

14 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Aye, I've seen it's a shambles getting back to Edinburgh. Is it much better on a Monday though? You'd still have the potential for the game finishing past 10pm if ET came into play. Most would also have less time to get through to Glasgow due to working.

There are umpteen trains back later on a Monday night, there are essentially none back late on a Sunday. When, if ever, did a major game with an evening kick-off last take place on a Sunday in Scotland? Public transport on a Sunday is best avoided anyway,.

Edited by Pool Q

5 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

There are umpteen trains back later on a Monday night, there are essentially none back late on a Sunday. When, if ever, did a major game with an evening kick-off last take place on a Sunday in Scotland? Public transport on a Sunday is best avoided anyway,.

Aye, I just checked. Don't travel the route so didn't know there were so many options on the Monday night. Stand corrected :ok:

9 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

There are umpteen trains back later on a Monday night, there are essentially none back late on a Sunday. When, if ever, did a major game with an evening kick-off last take place in Scotland? Public transport on a Sunday is best avoided anyway,.

Motherwell played Hearts in the semi at Easter Road in 2005, was a few years later before they moved league cup semi to weekends.

I think the league fixtures could be altered slightly to play the hearts v Celtic semi the following weekend. Celtic would’ve been playing Motherwell at parkhead on the Sunday if they’d lost to StJohnstone, so can they play the league game v hearts that day, and the semi a week later or play Motherwell as planned and postpone the hearts game and play the semi instead...

Edited by sbcmfc

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Motherwell played Hearts in the semi at Easter Road in 2005, was a few years later before they moved league cup semi to weekends.

I think the league fixtures could be altered slightly to play the hearts v Celtic semi the following weekend. Celtic would’ve been playing Motherwell at parkhead on the Sunday if they’d lost to StJohnstone, so can they play the league game v hearts that day, and the semi a week later or play Motherwell as planned and postpone the hearts game and play the semi instead...

I meant to say ‘on a Sunday’ in my post.

In all honesty the actual practicalities of travel aren’t really the issue for me. Fans of Aberdeen and Hearts (not to mention the rent-a-Huns and Tims from all over Scotland) will, in the main, get to the games. Crowds may be a bit smaller than otherwise, but still OK I’d guess. The potential for trouble is clear, but hopefully nothing materialises there. It is the way the solution Doncaster came up with is so brazenly cobbled together to suit the OF and, everyone else can go fuck themselves, that rankles. 

5 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

In all honesty the actual practicalities of travel aren’t really the issue for me. Fans of Aberdeen and Hearts (not to mention the rent-a-Huns and Tims from all over Scotland) will, in the main, get to the games. Crowds may be a bit smaller than otherwise, but still OK I’d guess. The potential for trouble is clear, but hopefully nothing materialises there. It is the way the solution Doncaster came up with is so brazenly cobbled together to suit the OF and, everyone else can go fuck themselves, that rankles. 

Can’t argue with that.

To be fair to the SPFL, on paper it’s not a completely crazy solution. It’s the baggage

As you say though, the priorities seems to be to keep Rangers and Celtic happy with little thought on much else. (It’s not ideal, but Rangers are at home on Thursday, could they play at 530pm on Saturday?)

13 hours ago, slasher said:

Some amount of bedwetting going on here. The sheep can't get to Glasgow for kick off? Feck off and get a supporters bus or a lift. Glasgow fans have to do this in reverse for nearly every game at Todders. As for the diets not getting home till late on a Sunday? Again feck off, it's only Embra! Plenty of Celtic/Rangers fans will be travelling much further so let's not pretend this suits anyone any more or less.

The scheduling is at fault here and another example of the fucked up governance of our game but spare us the poor me pish!

I'll be there either via supporters bus or driving through myself. However, lots of other people that have youngish children that have school the next day and so on won't be. If this was played at a reasonable time Hearts could probably take 15-20k as we're doing well at the moment. As things stand we'll take less than 10k.

Aside from the disappointment for those that miss out it means that we'll have a cup semi-final being held in a half-empty stadium. The powers that be should be doing all they can to promote the Scottish game. Playing in a half-empty stadium doesn't achieve this.

Edited by Stokesy

6 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Agreed. 

I think it's fair to say that those who want to get the the games will somehow manage.  It may be at additional personal expense, however, they will get there irrespective of the timings and public transport limitations.  That said, I do think the numbers of "away" fans will be quite a bit less than there could have been with some decent scheduling and due consideration. 

What gets my goat, and as you point out, is the way this has been handled and the manner in which this decision has been reached.  Our game does not benefit from having a level playing field and it's an incredibly myopic way to run things.  I see it turning more and more fans away for the game as a whole - people already seem to be back to thinking "what's the fecking point".

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

You’re being a bit disingenuous with this.

Rangers and Celtic never play at home on the same day, this isn’t a coincidence.

Potentially 100,000 fans all coming in and out of Glasgow for the games isn’t a great idea.

Maybe the fans of all 4 sides will surprise us and show that football fans can behave and mingle like normal folk....

In what way is the home games scenario the same as this though?  the numbers, playing the two games at the same time, the transport period are all different.   I'm not saying the situation is ideal and I certainly wouldn't support home games on the same day.

What we're dealing with here is 25k each at the same ground which has happened many, many times against each other in much more vital matches; latterly without great incident.  Except this time the old firm fans are half a day apart.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

14 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

In what way is the home games scenario the same as this though?  the numbers, playing the two games at the same time, the transport period are all different.   I'm not saying the situation is ideal and I certainly wouldn't support home games on the same day.

What we're dealing with here is 25k each at the same ground which has happened many, many times against each other in much more vital matches; latterly without great incident.  Except this time the old firm fans are half a day apart.

Also add in the fact with it being a weekend the likelihood for fans without tickets, especially from an old firm persuasion, travelling into Glasgow to join in with the festival of football. Could be a lot more than 100k football fans gracing the streets of Glasgow that day...

14 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

It could be 30,000 each with 10-15,000 each from hearts and Aberdeen thrown in to the mix. So you’re looking at 90,000+ fans from 4 teams passing through Glasgow.

I doubt all the Rangers and Aberdeen fans will be straight up the road for their Sunday roast, and likewise the Hearts and Celtic fans won’t be going to church and then a nice drive to pass their Sunday afternoon. The minority that are the worry will be drinking around the ground and city centre before and after the game.

For a single old firm semi, its probably easier to manage them all in the same places at the same times, as they are all moving together, with this scenario you have potential flashpoint all over Glasgow and further afield as paths cross.

54 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

I'll be there either via supporters bus or driving through myself. However, lots of other people that have youngish children that have school the next day and so on won't be. If this was played at a reasonable time Hearts could probably take 15-20k as we're doing well at the moment. As things stand we'll take less than 10k.

Aside from the disappointment for those that miss out it means that we'll have a cup semi-final being held in a half-empty stadium. The powers that be should be doing all they can to promote the Scottish game. Playing in a half-empty stadium doesn't achieve this.

Good post 👍 and I totally agree, especially on the effect on the crowd. My point was more that this arrangement doesn't really suit anyone particularly. Some of the other hysteria over it though reminds me of the predictions of a 'Donnybrook' the time we played Rangers at Hogmanay. It wasn't and neither will this be.

21 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It could be 30,000 each with 10-15,000 each from hearts and Aberdeen thrown in to the mix. So you’re looking at 90,000+ fans from 4 teams passing through Glasgow.

I doubt all the Rangers and Aberdeen fans will be straight up the road for their Sunday roast, and likewise the Hearts and Celtic fans won’t be going to church and then a nice drive to pass their Sunday afternoon. The minority that are the worry will be drinking around the ground and city centre before and after the game.

For a single old firm semi, its probably easier to manage them all in the same places at the same times, as they are all moving together, with this scenario you have potential flashpoint all over Glasgow and further afield as paths cross.

Fair enough, I don't agree.  Surely more likely for paths to cross when 25k are literally going to the same stadium at the same time and nothing has happened for years.

The '90k' are not all getting on the one platform, a lot of/most (?) of them won't even see the city centre.  The proportion of dons staying behind will be tiny on a sunday.

The minority of fans will always be a worry regardless. 

14 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The games have to be played at Hampden contractually. 

They would need to rearrange an entire round of fixtures to change the dates. 

None of this changes the lack of forward planning. 

And isn't there constant greetin on here about treating football fans with a bit more dignity and as grown ups? Maybe this is a test/trap to see if the fans can actually cope. 

Hibs played St Johnstone at Tynecastle in 2016 semi.

46 minutes ago, giblet said:

Hibs played St Johnstone at Tynecastle in 2016 semi.

You do know contracts can change, right? 

Or you can ask to be exempted from clauses sometimes? 

They asked this time and were denied. 

It's not that difficult really.