league cup - Page 13 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Good. (Remember that.)

They go by 'Rangers'.

They had to legally change their name (which they did) because of the liquidation.

The law states that the new name couldn't be the same or similar (so 'hand shaking' involved to achieve what they did).

I don't recognise that breach... so 'Sevco' it is.

:lol: dont ever change, you big mentalist.

I suspect this decision was based on three premises:

1) The games weren’t being played at Murrayfield.

2) The interests of the Olf Firm had to be looked after.

3) The OF clubs had to be treated equally, with no favour given to either club.

In that context, they probably think they have played a blinder. The other clubs involved (and their fans) would have been an afterthought at best. Common sense, what was I thinking?

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Common sense 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, magicTs said:

For Aberdeen fans the first train of the day arrives at 12.14pm, 14 minutes after kick off!!! 

Is that just when it gets to Queen street?

Presuming it’s on time; which based on my experiences of rail travel is unlikely, you’d be lucky to make it for halftime.

Could be worse, the 745 game will be carnage!

34 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Is that just when it gets to Queen street?

Presuming it’s on time; which based on my experiences of rail travel is unlikely, you’d be lucky to make it for halftime.

Could be worse, the 745 game will be carnage!

Complete disgrace man.

As seems to be the unanimous reaction from fans everywhere I'm astonished and raging at the decision that has been made over the semi final. The complete lack of common sense, the total lack of foresight despite some of us posting about this very distinct fixture possibility weeks ago, the total disregard for fans who have to travel from Aberdeen and Edinburgh and many from greater distances than that, the lack of thought that young fans won't be able to attend our game due to it being a Sunday night, the notion that Glasgow will be anything but a complete powderkeg that afternoon not to mention the bars in the immediate vicinity of Hampden itself.

The whole thing stinks and is yet another disgraceful chapter in the endless incompetence and ineptitude shown by those who govern the game in our country. When you read various message boards of a number of clubs and there is almost complete agreement as to the staggering nature of this decision you know that you are dealing with a level of stupidity, arrogance and complete delusion that is hard to fathom. To see that ignorant, inept clown Doncaster waffling his way through his statement on Sky Sports with no concept of the issues nor the disappointment he and his cohorts have caused thousands of football supporters just makes the blood boil. He should be hung from the Hampden scoreboard between the 2 matches.

From a Hearts perspective last night we and indeed Motherwell put on a game that showcased everything that is good about Scottish football. A cracking night match in a fantastic stadium, a great atmosphere and some superb goals by both sides. Everyone of a maroon persuasion was on a high and looking forward to a semi-final to go with our excellent start in the league. And now today this completely disgraceful decision meaning that many fans are unable to attend for numerous reasons or now can't take their kids. Its an appalling display of disregard by those decision makers. Instead of 50,000+ for a Hearts v Celtic semi final at Murrayfield they'll be lucky to get 20-25,000 and we won't take half the numbers we would have. And there was me thinking they needed all the income they could get to justify and patch up the crumbling relic that is most of Hampden Park. Amazing. Just amazing.

So Hampden chosen by SFA because the Scottish Police couldn’t handle the two ugly sisters fans travelling on a one off game through to Murrayfield yet they can handle this clusterfuck no bother?

it is scandalous that Aberdeen fans have to get to Hampden for 12 noon when public transport can’t get them there on time.

2 hours ago, dipped flake said:

Lucky if Hearts take 5k to the Semi now. Loads will boycott and parents won't be taking their kids. Still the Glasgow teams aren't inconvenienced which is all that matters

To be fair the national stadium where semis and finals are played is in Glasgow? 

I don’t think anyone really has an issue with the games being at Hampden. It’s the timings of the games (completely disregarding the interests of the Aberdeen and Hearts support), and the way the ‘solution’ reached at has clearly been engineered to suit the interests of the Glasgow clubs. We all knew this (well most of us did) but it still takes the breath away to see it so starkly illustrated.

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Happens every old firm final ...

At the same stadium

At the same time. 

Throw in Hearts and Dons fans, and neither side of the OF only taking 1.5k fans to the others ground.

Chaos will ensue. And the SFA will scratch their bums and wonder what they could have done differently.

Was Monday night considered? Murrayfield? 

J

15 minutes ago, GRBear said:

To be fair the national stadium where semis and finals are played is in Glasgow? 

That’s funny, because I remember seeing Hibs beat St Johnstone in the League Cup semi at Tynecastle.

Also had numerous LC semis at Easter Road.

So the point stands, as long as the OF sent inconvinenced, everything’s hunky-dory.

J

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45673764

The decision to play Aberdeen's Scottish League Cup semi-final at 12:00 GMT on a Sunday is "appalling", the club say.

"As a club we have repeatedly asked that the authorities stop giving us kick-off times which, for our large travelling support, are completely unacceptable, but yet again, what should be a showpiece occasion, is scheduled to start at a time that does not take supporters into account," a Dons statement read.

"Contesting the two matches on consecutive weekends would be an alternative surely worth investigating, particularly as Celtic are due to face Hearts in the Premiership the following weekend, while also fulfilling the contractual obligations.

Edited by Stokesy

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Aberdeen and Hearts are obviously happy to oblige this ludicrous decision.

No sympathy, fuck them

I know you’re on the wind up. 

Aberdeen have just issued a statement. “Dismay”. About as strong as it gets from AFC but I guess the sentiment is there - somewhere. Anyway, it suggests this decision was reached without consulting the clubs (well, Aberdeen anyway). 

Am I missing something here, or couldn’t the whole farcical situation have been completely avoided by the SPFL anticipating both Rangers and Celtic possibly qualifying for the both the Europa league group stages and League Cup semis, paying attention to the fixture scheduling of the Europa League and simply pencilling in the semi finals for a different weekend?

I mean both of them being in both the EL and the League Cup semis is hardly the stuff of fantasy is it?

It’s a complete shambles. But I’m not shocked in the slightest.

Latest rumours coming out that the victorious fans of the first semi have to hang about until 11pm, the final is just gonna be played there and then. 

Saves money using the ground and the police are there already. 

We’ve just got to wait politely outside to get back in again. 

Edited by dandydunn

Guest MorayCupMan
5 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Am I missing something here, or couldn’t the whole farcical situation have been completely avoided by the SPFL anticipating both Rangers and Celtic possibly qualifying for the both the Europa league group stages and League Cup semis, paying attention to the fixture scheduling of the Europa League and simply pencilling in the semi finals for a different weekend?

I mean both of them being in both the EL and the League Cup semis is hardly the stuff of fantasy is it?

It’s a complete shambles. But I’m not shocked in the slightest.

That was my thought in all that they would have had the possibility of this fixtures occurring...seems insane 

But yeah not shocked in the slightest either