league cup - Page 12 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hampden Park could host TWO Betfred Cup semi-finals in ONE day to solve the last-four fixture issue.

Record Sport understands an unprecedented move to play both of the matches at the National Stadium on Sunday, October 28 is one of the proposals under serious consideration by competition chiefs.

Both holders Celtic, who are due to face Hearts, and Rangers, who have a tie against Aberdeen, are at the centre of the problem due to their Europa League commitments on Thursday, October 25.

Originally, one of the Betfred Cup semi-finals was scheduled for Saturday, October 27 and the other the following day, both on Glasgow’s south side.

However, this would seriously disadvantage whichever side of the Old Firm was asked to play on the Saturday.

With this in mind, Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh has been proposed as a second venue to host a game along with Hampden on the Sunday and this remains a potential solution.

However, as discussions take place between SPFL chiefs, local authorities, clubs, sponsors and competition broadcaster BT Sport, Record Sport can reveal the surprise alternative option of a Super Sunday involving all four sides with one game kicking off at lunchtime and the other early evening is also among the solutions which is under discussion.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What planet do you live on? (in fact don't answer that)

There's not a country in the world that would have two semi finals in the same stadium on the same day. Logistical nightmare.

I'm not sure there's anywhere in the world where they play any two professional games on the same grass pitch in one day let alone two cup semifinals.   Even playing two games on subsequent days is pushing it.

another idea?

Play both on the Sunday   either the Rangers game at Parkhead and the Celtic wan at Hampden or the Celtic game at Ibrox and the Rangers one at Hampden. 

Or leave Hampden out and Glasgow teams play in the other ones stadium?

Going to Murrayfield would lose revenue from Football to Rugby ...

Glasgow has 3 great stadiums,  we could use two of them...

or is that just daft?

Edited by stocky

1 minute ago, stocky said:

another idea?

Play both on the Sunday   either the Rangers game at Parkhead and the Celtic wan at Hampden or the Celtic game at Ibrox and the Rangers one at Hampden. 

Or leave Hampden out and Glasgow teams play in the other ones stadium?

Going to Murrayfield would lose revenue from Football to Rugby ...

Glasgow has 3 great stadiums,  we could use two of them...

or is that just daft?

I'll be astonished if they let both Rangers and Celtic play in Glasgow on the same day.  For me if they have to be played on the same day the most logical option is to displace the smallest number of fans.  That would mean Hearts v Celtic at Murrayfield and Aberdeen v Rangers at Hampden which would see only 2 sets of fans having to travel and ease pressure on travel and policing infrastructure.

11 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Yes, they were and I don't think I have ever said anything to the contrary.  

Good. (Remember that.)

11 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Is the current football team called Rangers, yes or no?

They go by 'Rangers'.

They had to legally change their name (which they did) because of the liquidation.

The law states that the new name couldn't be the same or similar (so 'hand shaking' involved to achieve what they did).

I don't recognise that breach... so 'Sevco' it is.

43 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hampden Park could host TWO Betfred Cup semi-finals in ONE day to solve the last-four fixture issue.

Record Sport understands an unprecedented move to play both of the matches at the National Stadium on Sunday, October 28 is one of the proposals under serious consideration by competition chiefs.

What planet are you on posting something like that? (Wait. Don't answer that.)

16 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Good. (Remember that.)

They go by 'Rangers'.

They had to legally change their name (which they did) because of the liquidation.

The law states that the new name couldn't be the same or similar (so 'hand shaking' involved to achieve what they did).

I don't recognise that breach... so 'Sevco' it is.

:lol:

Good game last night. Both teams had a go, decent crowd and atmosphere. We should probably have won a bit more easily than we did, created (and wasted) any number of chances. When Bowman scored though (very much against the run of play, but great finish) it was a worry. Hearts played some decent stuff at times, while Motherwell (all blood, snotters and elbows) never stopped trying to go forward. Happily pay to watch that every week.

On the SFs can’t see the police agreeing to both games in Glasgow on the same day. Common sense would be Hearts vid Celtic at Murrayfield but who knows? Don’t much care anyway, Hampden or Murrayield is fine.

2 hours ago, Pool Q said:

Good game last night. Both teams had a go, decent crowd and atmosphere. We should probably have won a bit more easily than we did, created (and wasted) any number of chances. When Bowman scored though (very much against the run of play, but great finish) it was a worry. Hearts played some decent stuff at times, while Motherwell (all blood, snotters and elbows) never stopped trying to go forward. Happily pay to watch that every week.

On the SFs can’t see the police agreeing to both games in Glasgow on the same day. Common sense would be Hearts vid Celtic at Murrayfield but who knows? Don’t much care anyway, Hampden or Murrayield is fine.

Common sense 🤣🤣

Probably the most ridiculous and staggering decision in Scottish football history and thats ****ing saying something. 

For the Hearts v Celtic instead of 50,000 at Murrayfield at 2 or 3pm they choose Hampden on a Sunday night at 7.45pm where they will be lucky to get half that crowd. For Aberdeen fans the first train of the day arrives at 12.14pm, 14 minutes after kick off!!! 

Not only that they have Rangers v Aberdeen finishing less than 6 hours earlier (thats without extra time) in the same ****ing stadium. There will be all sorts of trouble at transport hubs, within Glasgow and in between the matches. Seriously, what in the name of **** are they thinking about. 

If I was in charge of Murrayfield I wouldn’t have even entertained any enquiry had the SFA/SPFL made an attempt to contact them. 

Murrayfield offered them the opportunity to host major games in future and they were lead straight up the garden path and had the offer thrown back in their faces

I hope its a complete and utter disaster for all involved, particularly the tossers in charge 

11 minutes ago, magicTs said:

For Aberdeen fans the first train of the day arrives at 12.14pm, 14 minutes after kick off!!! 

But but but one of the main reasons for staying at Hampden was they were going to work with transport providers to ensure fans could access transport for all kick off times..... And if you believed that then you’ll believe anything

The cunts should be in Westminster/Holyrood with the amount of dugshite they spin 

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Aberdeen and Hearts are obviously happy to oblige this ludicrous decision.

No sympathy, fuck them

are they really? I have seen nothing to suggest Aberdeen or Hearts are happy? perhaps they were given no choice

26 minutes ago, Mitre said:

I'm not even shocked at the incompetence of the authorities anymore

An astounding decision made by utter balloons

Amazing :lol: Joking at lunch time that they would really fuck this decision up. They have surpassed themselves, to be fair. 

Lets hope it raining and the pitched is fucked for the later game. That could really help us in the league.