Champions League Qualifiers - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Champions League Qualifiers

Good to see the manager admit he made a complete horses of it with that weird shape we started with last night. Once that got sorted out I thought we played really well and it could have been far more comfortable. Still work to be done but we should be heading to Athens for the next round after that. 👍

14 minutes ago, stocky said:

So if Celtic get thru this round they meet AEK Athens,   if they win that Tie are they in the Champs League Groups or is there another round.....

There's another yin to go after that m8 👍 

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Utter nonsense.

Beat the Norweigian and Greek champions and still not be in the "Champions League".

There's a play-off round where Celtic will have to beat another national champion, but I believe Celtic will be seeded for it...

All that just to be defeated to the German runners-up and the third placed-English team. 🙄

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

That’s what happens when the format is driven by Mastercard, Sony and Heineken. Or whoever the fuck

Shambles 

I totally agree but there's nothing to be gained by greetin about it. The only thing that will help is getting into the groups and by that I mean our Europa league teams as well. Easier said than done but if we can break into the top 20 co-efficients things improve from there and significantly thereafter.

I totally agree with some of the sentiment expressed about European football but the best way to stick two fingers up is for our teams to fight their way through these joke qualifiers and let's be honest we've underperformed for long enough. Time to quit with the excuses about budgets and early starts and get the fuck on with it!

On 7/26/2018 at 6:35 PM, slasher said:

I totally agree but there's nothing to be gained by greetin about it. The only thing that will help is getting into the groups and by that I mean our Europa league teams as well. Easier said than done but if we can break into the top 20 co-efficients things improve from there and significantly thereafter.

I totally agree with some of the sentiment expressed about European football but the best way to stick two fingers up is for our teams to fight their way through these joke qualifiers and let's be honest we've underperformed for long enough. Time to quit with the excuses about budgets and early starts and get the fuck on with it!

Spot on. I’m not coming up with any wonderful new theory when I say it’s all for the benefit of UEFA and the top few clubs making as much €€€€ as possible and nothing to do with sport any more. Or sporting integrity, if you like.  We all know this. Even the fans of clubs who gain from this format think it’s a joke. But fans are only slightly less important than the dog shit they clean up outside the stadia.

But it’s no use moaning about it. They’re not going to change it because a few Scottish fans don’t like it.

Its like having a shite ref who gives everything to the other lot.  Spend your energy moaning about it and you lose. You just have to find a way to get past it and win despite the obvious disadvantage. However you do it.

And this is what our clubs must do in Europe - find a way. Do enough to qualify and do more than what should be enough to get where we want to be. Only then will it get a wee bit easier and when that happens we need to take advantage to avoid sliding back to this situation.

It can be done, we just need to focus on what we can control and stop moaning about what we can’t.

We’ve had too many teams go out with a whimper to pretty poor sides and not enough results like aberdeen beating Rijeka and stjohnstone beating Rosenborg.

StJohnstone one a great example as they followed up a good scalp with a disappointing defeat.

Unfortunately we’ve reached the point we’d need 2-3 consecutive upsets to get a team in the Europa league groups.

On 7/26/2018 at 6:35 PM, slasher said:

Good post.  Time to stop feeling sorry for ourselves.  That was a reasonably good week for us compared to previous years.

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

We’ve had too many teams go out with a whimper to pretty poor sides and not enough results like aberdeen beating Rijeka and stjohnstone beating Rosenborg.

StJohnstone one a great example as they followed up a good scalp with a disappointing defeat.

Unfortunately we’ve reached the point we’d need 2-3 consecutive upsets to get a team in the Europa league groups.

Someone put a decent thread on twitter about this the other day.

37825496_10217565872487160_9777795543890

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Good post.  Time to stop feeling sorry for ourselves.  That was a reasonably good week for us compared to previous years.

Best European week since Rangers won in Lyon, Celtic beat Milan and Aberdeen went through in Dnipro?

7 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Best European week since Rangers won in Lyon, Celtic beat Milan and Aberdeen went through in Dnipro?

All depends if they go through surely? 

58 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Just nice feeling that we can compete exile.  I was proud of the efforts from the teams.  All of them.

I guess I am just wary (glass half empty on this occasion), especially the away goals. Even Celtic are not through. A 2-0 reverse is not that unlikely if Celtic were to be complacent. If the 3 teams who lost goals at home all go out, it would put a different complexion on things.