Champions League Qualifiers - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Champions League Qualifiers

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

De Vries, Gamboa, Hendry, Compper, Kouassi, Hayes, Benyu and Musonda.

Rodgers has a cheek to moan about not being backed. When you see some of the players he spunked money on you can see why the club might be cautious!

And before anyone says it, I know he's bought Nicham etc but he's certainly hit or miss and must be close to more missed when it comes to signings.

100 % agree. Blame is all laid at the Board however he has to take a large part of the blame.

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Rodgers argument is that if players are identified and within budget it's up to Lawell to bring them in and as Moxy says I doubt he was responsible for all of them, certainly not Kouassi and Benyu. In the last 2 windows we've dallied and lost out on 3 players who could have made a difference, Benkovic, Schaar and McGinn. In all three cases Lawell decided to play a waiting game and lost out.

Benkovic went for GBP 13M  was that within budget ?

Why would they wait on Schar ?  It was a buy out clause of 3.5 M Euro - or they were hoping to bid lower ?

55 minutes ago, macy37 said:

100 % agree. Blame is all laid at the Board however he has to take a large part of the blame.

He is quite a delusional man is Brendan, nowhere near the great manager he thinks he is

I suspect he is now working his ticket for that ‘dream’ move back to the EPL ( Watford, Leicester, Brighton etc)

13 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

Benkovic went for GBP 13M  was that within budget ?

Why would they wait on Schar ?  It was a buy out clause of 3.5 M Euro - or they were hoping to bid lower ?

They weren't asking that in January, big Pete wasn't looking to pay any more than £7m though. In the case of Schaar he decided to hedge his bets till after the world cup after not being exactly blown away by our personal terms.

Whatever way you look at it, prior to last night's tie we've spent around £500, 000 net in this window.....an absolute piss take considering the resources they're sitting on and that's before you even take into account the fannying about over McGinn.

I had mixed feelings about Celtic's progression last night.  Nothing to do with "rivalry" as such, more the fact that if they get to the group stages, the financial gap widens further, versus, it would be nice to see the Scottish game represented at the top table to heighten the league's reputation and perhaps the chance of additional sponsorship/funding. 

Actually thought that Celtic might sneak it at the end.  They'd have gone through if Hayes had started. 😉

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

I had mixed feelings about Celtic's progression last night.  Nothing to do with "rivalry" as such, more the fact that if they get to the group stages, the financial gap widens further, versus, it would be nice to see the Scottish game represented at the top table to heighten the league's reputation and perhaps the chance of additional sponsorship/funding. 

Actually thought that Celtic might sneak it at the end.  They'd have gone through if Hayes had started. 😉

I had the same feelings, especially after the last few days hearing English journalists slating the Scottish game. Listening to Michael Stewart, Daryl Broadfoot and faddy rip the English journalist to pieces the other night was brilliant

I went back to wanting them to lose by the end 🤣🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I had the same feelings, especially after the last few days hearing English journalists slating the Scottish game. Listening to Michael Stewart, Daryl Broadfoot and faddy rip the English journalist to pieces the other night was brilliant

I went back to wanting them to lose by the end 🤣🤣🤣

where was this ripppin? sportsound?

59 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

cheers! having a listen now

eta:

recommend!  good to see folk standing up for scottish football.  it's not even fighting talk it's just bemusement.  

That journo didn't have a clue.  Good stuff from Stewart, Faddy and Broadfoot.

30 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

eta:

recommend!  good to see folk standing up for scottish football.  it's not even fighting talk it's just bemusement.  

That journo didn't have a clue.  Good stuff from Stewart, Faddy and Broadfoot.

The journo made me laugh -

the journo - "Mctominey is your hghest profile player" 

Mikey Stewart - Why's that?

Stupid Journo - "because he plays for Man Utd"

all the sportsound team - 😆😆

for clarity - said journo is the man utd correspondent for some manchester based rag

Edited by vanderark14

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The journo made me laugh -

the journo - "Mctominey is your hghest profile player" 

Mikey Stewart - Why's that?

Stupid Journo - "because he plays for Man Utd"

all the sportsound team - 😆😆

for clarity - said journo is the man utd correspondent for some manchester based rag

Yeah Samuel Luckhurst is best ignored, he's a total fanny.

As you say he's one of the United correspondants for the MEN so probably for him and a lot of United fans McTominay is the most high profile Scottish player. Ask a journalist in Liverpool and they'd say it was Robertson, it's just a by-product of their own ignorance.

He's not got a clue about what goes on at Man United and it's supposed to be his job, what chance has he got of knowing anything about Scottish football 🤣

22 hours ago, slasher said:

They weren't asking that in January, big Pete wasn't looking to pay any more than £7m though. In the case of Schaar he decided to hedge his bets till after the world cup after not being exactly blown away by our personal terms.

Whatever way you look at it, prior to last night's tie we've spent around £500, 000 net in this window.....an absolute piss take considering the resources they're sitting on and that's before you even take into account the fannying about over McGinn.

You are correct - they werent asking for 13 - they were asking for 17 

On 8/16/2018 at 1:05 PM, euan2020 said:

You are correct - they werent asking for 13 - they were asking for 17 

Dunno where u got that but it doesn't tally with what I know.

Anyway, no matter the rights and wrongs the buck stops at Pete this time. 🤔

10 hours ago, slasher said:

Dunno where u got that but it doesn't tally with what I know.

Anyway, no matter the rights and wrongs the buck stops at Pete this time. 🤔

quick google search on the newspapers - although i am discussing January 17  

https://readceltic.com/2017/01/05/celtic-linked-filip-benkovic/

I found a few sources saying 17M

Edited by euan2020