Champions League Qualifiers - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Champions League Qualifiers

Given the climate in Armenia and it being the first game of the season, that's a very good win for Celtic.

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

didnt even realise Celtic were playing this week - Crazy that they and teams from Sweden & Poland are having to enter at this stage of the tournament

Only countries in the top eleven get a side automatically in the group stages - meaning that even the Dutch champions have to play a qualifying round (a single round in their case) - totalling twenty-six teams in total from those countries. Only six teams from the qualifying rounds will reach the group stages - two of them won't be domestic champions either. It's complete madness.

Ten years ago, the top ten countries automatically got a side in the group stages, but that was only sixteen teams. Sixteen teams could come through the qualifiers back then.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Given the climate in Armenia and it being the first game of the season, that's a very good win for Celtic.

Only countries in the top eleven get a side automatically in the group stages - meaning that even the Dutch champions have to play a qualifying round (a single round in their case) - totalling twenty-six teams in total from those countries. Only six teams from the qualifying rounds will reach the group stages - two of them won't be domestic champions either. It's complete madness.

Ten years ago, the top ten countries automatically got a side in the group stages, but that was only sixteen teams. Sixteen teams could come through the qualifiers back then.

Farcical. Champions League.....why on earth is it even named that? Last years winners were not reigning champions of their League were they? The tournament gets more and more boring and predictable every year.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Only six teams from the qualifying rounds will reach the group stages - two of them won't be domestic champions either. It's complete madness.

Really? So 26 out of the 32 teams go straight into the groups? That's a joke!

Edited by Toepoke

13 hours ago, macy37 said:

Farcical. Champions League.....why on earth is it even named that? Last years winners were not reigning champions of their League were they? The tournament gets more and more boring and predictable every year.

Neither were the runners up. 

Football is dead, it’s built up for the big dogs to get richer and nothing else. 

No disrespect intended to Celtic, (not often I’ll say that), but their neither wanted nor needed in the champions league now. 

Is it this season that England, Spain, Germany & Italy get 4 teams automatically into the group stages? Absolute farce of a competition. 

8 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Neither were the runners up. 

Football is dead, it’s built up for the big dogs to get richer and nothing else. 

No disrespect intended to Celtic, (not often I’ll say that), but their neither wanted nor needed in the champions league now. 

Is it this season that England, Spain, Germany & Italy get 4 teams automatically into the group stages? Absolute farce of a competition. 

100% agree with all that. Really is a competition that we as a club strive to get into (group tables wise) but bar getting cash in our pockets it’s a waste of time as we just cannot compete. 

When watching the champions league games involving Celtic I imagine a lot of folk including myself looking for 3rd place in the hope of Europa Cup football as getting pumped in the group stages of the champions league  is enough with out getting pumped in the knock out round as well

21 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Excellent result for Celtic in what could have been a banana skin tie. 

And with all 3 Scottish teams winning weight get a tiny boost in the Co-efficient yet. 

No matter what boost the co-efficient gets, it will never ever be enough for any scottish side to compete in Europes closed shop. As has already been demonstrated, its even harder for teams from this country to make any sort of mark on Europe because UEFA simply don't want us. 

Its gotten so bad I would rather Celtic were papped out early on so they don't get access to the big pool of cash in the CL

On 7/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, vanderark14 said:

No matter what boost the co-efficient gets, it will never ever be enough for any scottish side to compete in Europes closed shop. As has already been demonstrated, its even harder for teams from this country to make any sort of mark on Europe because UEFA simply don't want us. 

Its gotten so bad I would rather Celtic were papped out early on so they don't get access to the big pool of cash in the CL

I was in Rhodes on my holibags and in a happy and benevolent mood. 

Hence the disgusting positivity in my post. 😉

Totally agree with what you've said. It's almost got to the point that Scottish teams will be excluded from the top European competition as we just don't bring enough cash to the table. It's pretty much a pointless exercise these days. 

Sitting in Glasgow airport reading the match report I’m the paper, wee man looking over my shoulder and he then gets a tap on the head and takes a double glance as the boy who’s photo was in is smiling at him :lol: he didn’t know where to look then casually seen the whole team walking through behind him. They certainly seemed like they couldnt give a fuck about the defeat. Got a wee holiday instead. 

Bizarre refereeing performance from the official last night although I certainly thought he got the red card right. Anyway, job done and onwards to Rosenborg who will be as stuffy as ever but we should have enough to get past them hopefully 👍

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

AEK Athens for Celtic if they get past Rosenborg.

.......and Cork City in the Europa League if we don't.

Athens sounds like a nasty one but they don't start their season till 25th August so it should be a winnable tie. 👍