Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 132 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

Forrest - Not fit enough to play for Celtic atm according to Lennon.
Fraser - The standout, cert to be in the squad.
Burke - Has played up front for Celtic rather than wide. Not great form lately.
Hastie - Been left out lately to protect him from 'Well fans. Got to have an outside chance of a call up tho.
Russell - Mid-season in the US atm. Still performing well every week it seems. Probably call, tho it's along way.
Phillips - Been back fit for over a month, but didnt get much game time in the 7 fixtures since then.
Snodgrass - Plays central more than wide these days, but could still do a job out there.
Johnston - Not played much this season, but there's an argument for tying him down with a cap.
GMS - Played about half a dozen games since November. 13 mins since mid-Feb. Wouldn't risk him tbh.
Morgan - Playing regularly at least, albeit at League One level. 1 goal, 2 assists in his last 6 starts.
McKay - Seems to have become a 'last 10 minutes' player at Swansea.
Middleton - Been dumped back into the youth team, only 30 mins of 1st team action since around xmas.

So.. Forrest and Fraser kinda have to be in, even if Lennon seems to be angling for Forrest to miss out.
I'd probably take Hastie and Johnston as the back ups. Youth and enthusiasm in reserve over steady players, but with no particular spark.

Burke's still a possible call up front given our complete lack of options.
Snoddy possible in the number 10 spot where Christie will likely operate.
Will be an interesting squad, for sure.

3 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I agree with your first 2 points. I'm not suggesting Johnston has done enough to be called up, I was merely saying I've no problem with players not getting a game week in week out being included in squads. If you're a good option and will benefit the team then I'm none too fussy about your club affairs.

On the second point, I suppose it shouldn't really be a concern for Scotland to have to look after potential players best interests. If we approach a player who is keen to jump aboard the Scotland bus then fails to fulfil any promising potential then that's tough luck. As harsh as it sounds there isn't much room for sentimentality here.

Again, none of the above is relating specifically to Johnston.

Fair points. 

If Johnston wants to play for Scotland though he’ll wait until he’s established in the first team before jumping ship to Ireland. It’s not like the Scott Arfield situation where he was a mainstay in a team at a decent level and was consistently overlooked so he went to Canada instead. 

On 5/19/2019 at 3:00 PM, mrniaboc said:

Bates not even in the Hamburg squad today. Sad times. 

No fucking wonder he wasn’t. People on here cling onto any players that get game time at decent sized clubs thinking this is it a star has arrived without actually analysing how poor that player really is. Bates will end up playing for a Pompey/Donny levelled side.

23 minutes ago, macy37 said:

No fucking wonder he wasn’t. People on here cling onto any players that get game time at decent sized clubs thinking this is it a star has arrived without actually analysing how poor that player really is. Bates will end up playing for a Pompey/Donny levelled side.

Agreed.

Bates is a poor defender. File under Liam Cooper, except worse.

17 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

We seem to be missing out on a lot lately. 

He basically had a hissy fit that he'd been overlooked for some of the younger squads, so chose Australia 

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-harry-souttar-australia-socceroos-2838244

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

On 5/22/2019 at 5:49 PM, mccaughey85 said:

I can't think of many wingers who deserve to be called up over Johnston. We actually don't have many young wingers coming through at all. Burke has been dire recently and Middleton hasn't been playing all that much. It wouldn't harm us to include Johnston as backup to Fraser or Forrest.

Yes, we can't ever have a McGeady McCarthy situation again

I don't really see a problem in calling up youngsters from any club who look promising. Make them feel part of the setup and it gives them the opportunity to work withnew coaches and players. 

Our biggest problem is currently getting players to buy into scotland and make them want to do well with Scotland. That will be Clarke's biggest challenge, its where Eck failed within his first few weeks. 

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

He's 22 and playing for Hamburg. You might be right, but let's wait and see on this one. 

15 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Hastie been left out for his own protection? Get real 

The boy will never be good enough for Scotland in my opinion anyway

He's just turned 20...

A lot of people on here could make some real money as talent scouts with these powers of foresight. 

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

Their form since he's been out the side has been atrocious and they went from promotion challengers til no promotion at all. There was also a period earlier in the season when Hamburg struggled for results without him in the team. He's also only 22 so I will give him a bit of time as he is in a foreign country and is just finishing his first season at the club. Give him a year or two and then see where he's at then before writing him off.

4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He basically had a hissy fit that he'd been overlooked for some of the younger squads, so chose Australia 

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-harry-souttar-australia-socceroos-2838244

Sounds like he's made his mind up too.

I was shocked to hear about this. You could say his attitude's poor but the bottom line is we don't produce enough high quality young players - especially defenders - to let one slip through the net as easily as that.

He might make it, he might not. But Stoke bought him when they were still an EPL side so they must have seen some potential in him. He's only 20 and he'd been getting a game on loan at a decent level last season too.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes, we can't ever have a McGeady McCarthy situation again

Johnston has played for us at age group levels, whereas I don't think McCarthy or McGeady ever did, which suggests he's committed to Scotland.

Then again, Harry Souttar had also played for us at youth level, and if someone is prepared to travel to the other side of the world in order to play international football, taking a flight to Dublin is a skoosh.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't really see a problem in calling up youngsters from any club who look promising. Make them feel part of the setup and it gives them the opportunity to work withnew coaches and players. 

Our biggest problem is currently getting players to buy into scotland and make them want to do well with Scotland. That will be Clarke's biggest challenge, its where Eck failed within his first few weeks. 

Me neither. England often call up and cap youngsters who aren't yet regular first-teamers and it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.

I think it's fair to say Johnston is still some way behind Fraser and Forrest, and even Phillips and Snodgrass (if he returns) but those players are a good bit older than him, and to my mind he's way ahead of other young Scottish players who play in his position.

While not a regular yet, I still think he's done enough at Celtic to at least merit a place in the squad.