Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 118 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

On 3/7/2019 at 6:34 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

He's a defensive midfielder and a defensive midfielder only.

When played as a centre back or right back he clearly had no idea what the hell he was doing.

There is plenty of doubt about his ability to play central defence. 

Your comments about McTominay just to prove we all talk bollocks from time to time.

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Your comments about McTominay just to prove we all talk bollocks from time to time.

Didn't see McTominay playing in central defence last night.

Defensive midfielder aye but central defender em, naw.

Becoming a wee bit obsessed with me aren't you dearie ? Fancy a shag sometime ?

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Didn't see McTominay playing in central defence last night.

Defensive midfielder aye but central defender em, naw.

Becoming a wee bit obsessed with me aren't you dearie ? Fancy a shag sometime ?

Different game we were watching last night if all you saw was a defensive midfielder.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What on earth are you talking about regarding Cooper ? I'm not fussed either way if he's called up or not. 

There were more than a few of people on here calling for Fraser and McGregor to be in the squad about a year before they were eventually called up. Strachan fucked up not bring Armstong, Fraser and McGregor in earlier.

You still haven't provided a source yet about Cairney wanting to play for England btw.

Spot on. One of the big complaints of Strachan at the end was how he ignored McGregor and under used Fraser. He stuck by certain players that had dropped a level and needed to be dropped by us. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

Think we are starting to see a development in how McTominay is being deployed. I'm sure someone stated that McTominay had the potential to operate more offensively (Solskjaer ?) and that as he developed at Man Utd we would see that. He appears to be able to follow instructions explicitly, in terms of his position and role in any formation. Struggling to not get carried away, but if a young breakthrough player who is English had just produced a Man of the Match performance against Barcelona in the Champions League the English media would be creaming themselves. We may now have 2 players who could realistically be ones who would get England caps if they were English.

40 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Spot on. One of the big complaints of Strachan at the end was how he ignored McGregor and under used Fraser. He stuck by certain players that had dropped a level and needed to be dropped by us. 

Sorry but suggesting every one was screaming for Fraser is wrong.

He played in five different positions last year including his last two at right back I remember getting excited about that prospect.

I doubt if many of us had him down as a sure starter in games last season

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

He played in five different positions last year including his last two at right back I remember getting excited about that prospect.

Looked like left wing against Burnley. Where should he play for Scotland ? 

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Looked like left wing against Burnley. Where should he play for Scotland ? 

Left side of midfield surely as far up the park as possible preferably  

A central three with Fraser and Forrest further forward in a midfield five  and one up front is my formation today.

I will of course have changed my mind totally by Monday based on the weekend performances. Cant see me finding three central defenders by then to suggest a back three though.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Left side of midfield surely as far up the park as possible preferably  

A central three with Fraser and Forrest further forward in a midfield five  and one up front is my formation today.

I will of course have changed my mind totally by Monday based on the weekend performances. Cant see me finding three central defenders by then to suggest a back three though.

Your problem is solved ! 5 in midfield and 1 up front means you are allowed an extra player to add to your 3 at the back ! Voila ! Championees !

Bain

someone---------- someone--someone ------------Tierney

----------Mcginn-----------Mctominay --------Robertson

---Forrest ------------------------------------------------------------Fraser

someone

It's funny but before Robertson got established at Liverpool the consensus was to play him left midfield in front of Tierney at left back. No one even thought about playing Fraser on the left then

Hate playing players out of position but Robertson has been poor since being given the captaincy and a more central role might help. Tierney and Robertson are certainly good cover for Fraser.

Would say McKenna is the only player who might be good enough to replace a "some one" at the moment, although I do like like the prospect of Mcburnie as the forward "someone"

Bates Souttar and all our other defenders have done nothing but look good in poor standard football and the nearest thing we have to a right back is still probably Paterson 

2 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Andy Robertson is one of the best left backs in the game at the moment and there are couple of absolute dafties on this forum who think he should play in central midfield, honestly you guys have no idea.

Or maybe people just think outside the box more than others.

Joshua Kimmich has played in one World Cup and Confederation cup as a right back, and excelling! Now he plays as anchorman for Germany, whilst playing right back for Germany. Alaba does the same, plays right back for Bayern Munich and anchorman for Austria

1 minute ago, runningtings said:

Andy Robertson is one of the best left backs in the game at the moment and there are couple of absolute dafties on this forum who think he should play in central midfield, honestly you guys have no idea.

Best left back in the world is no use in a shite team, it's one of the least important roles on the pitch.

We only have four top class players  three of which are on the left hand side.

How would you play them?

Robertson and Fraser cant cover each other, they are both too attack minded so unless you have a decent left sided defender and left side central midfielder they will struggle together. Iv'e asked before when did Robertson last have a decent game for Scotland, perhaps you know?

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Best left back in the world is no use in a shite team, it's one of the least important roles on the pitch.

This is absolutely crazy talk, the first 2 goals against Kazakhstan were lost by the left back. You have no idea.

4 minutes ago, runningtings said:

This is absolutely crazy talk, the first 2 goals against Kazakhstan were lost by the left back. You have no idea.

Sorry but ask any one who knows anything about football and they will agree that full backs are the least important part of a team.

Any way saying we sucked with out Robertson doesn't answer my question. When did he last have a good game for us?

7 minutes ago, runningtings said:

No

What a compelling case you make.

You win this round!

5 minutes ago, runningtings said:

You do know we have Tierney, don't you? ceudmilefailte is spot on. He can be world class at Liverpool as they have players of similar standard, but we don't. Robertson with McTominay and Fraser in the middle of midfield has potential.

4 minutes ago, runningtings said:

You guys keep agreeing with each other, have fun 👍

I'll just agree to disagree.

Fair enough.

Look, for 18 years we've done the EXACT SAME THING and never thought about doing something different. What Scotland fans see as ridiculous and radical, Germany and Austria are doing it.

And we wonder why we don't get anywhere. It's the "stick with what we know" illness that's killing Scottish football, starting with the SFA.

Edited by Chripper

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I disagree.

I've been calling for him for ages. Pretty much since he destroyed Liverpool on his own. I've not been alone. 

Playing him right-back should have been a sackable offence. 

18 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I disagree.

I've been calling for him for ages. Pretty much since he destroyed Liverpool on his own. I've not been alone. 

Playing him right-back should have been a sackable offence. 

Don't think Eddie Howe had a clue what to do with him last year, he knew he had a player but wasn't sure if he was left sided, right sided, defensive or attacking.

I probably didn't notice the call up shouts as I didn't see him as some one who should have been a definite squad member with a serious chance of starting.. I was way behind on that one.

Going to tell me were to play Tierney if Robertson plays left back and I'll mark it in my Diary. Left sided central defender, right back or left sided midfield in a central midfield of three

If they both turn up they are probably better than what we have in half a dozen position and McLeish will play them both.

It does seem there has been a culling lately of the players who's commitment has been questioned here.

Ritchie, Matt Phillips and Cairney haven't been in the last few squads even though they're all in best 20 + Scotland players list and have remained consistant for their clubs, o.k Cairney less so in a very difficult season for Fulham but Ritchie has been excellent lately for Newcastle.

Snodgrass another one that hasn't been fully explained unless I missed that article.

Not saying all these should be starters btw but there's a good level of top level experience to use there to back up the younger elements of the squad. Snoddy is a brilliant pro for example so think some of the younger players would enjoy having him around the squad giving them confidence.

We'll probably see some of them again when a new manager comes in.