Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 113 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

Gilmour currently playing in Youth League against Dynamo Zagreb live on BT. Dynamo 2 nil up and looking far better than Chelsea. Has  hardly had a look in. He looks a bit lightweight and on this showing nowhere near first team and nowhere near full international standard - yet

40 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No one is claiming he's the next Dalglish at all.

Twenty or thirty minutes off the bench.

Others countries do it why do we have to be the exception ?

What countries with serious aspirations of qualifying for major tournaments throw in players with no meaningful first team club  experience in to their full national team based on looking reasonably promising at underage level? What purpose would it serve exactly? Feruz had a lot better record as a youth player than Hornby does. Should he have been leading the line for us in the 2014  world cup qualifiers on the basis of being 'promising' ?

44 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Curious.. which other countries cap players who've never played first team football?

That is interesting as I watched him a few times for Chelsea u23s and Chelseas last tie in the Youth League he actually didn't play that well either. He definitely didn't stand out too much compared to other games I have seen him in. Maybe the higher the level he goes the harder he is starting to find it. A good test for him none the less and still playing above his age. 

5 minutes ago, mcnish said:

What countries with serious aspirations of qualifying for major tournaments throw in players with no meaningful first team club  experience in to their full national team based on looking reasonably promising at underage level? What purpose would it serve exactly? Feruz had a lot better record as a youth player than Hornby does. Should he have been leading the line for us in the 2014  world cup qualifiers on the basis of being 'promising' ?

Oh, well that settles it then.

Lots of countries do it. 

5 minutes ago, andyD said:

Curious.. which other countries cap players who've never played first team football?

Wales for one and that's who I'm focusing on.

Do you want a complete list of every single FIFA registered country that does it ? In that case I may be rather some time.

19 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

That is interesting as I watched him a few times for Chelsea u23s and Chelseas last tie in the Youth League he actually didn't play that well either. He definitely didn't stand out too much compared to other games I have seen him in. Maybe the higher the level he goes the harder he is starting to find it. A good test for him none the less and still playing above his age. 

Chelsea scored 2 late goals and then won on penalties. Game , (I only saw second half) seemed to pass him by but they are through to the semi to face Barca so another good test to come  for Gilmour at this level

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd wager that other countries are doing it based on more than just hoping the really young guys they field are going to make it. Hope isn't a strategy - there needs to be some kind of marker of potential quality. Ideally that would be breaking through at their club and playing well at a good level. In Hornby's case his u21 record is good and it's tempting to go by that alone, but I think we need to see just a bit more from him before we think about fast tracking him.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:13 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Steve Clarke has slagged the SFA a fair bit. Can't see him taking the job tbh.

Means nothing, levein was always at loggerheads with the SFA and he took the job.

15 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

McTominay and Gilmour in midfield. Fraser Hornby up front. Only Scotland seem to have a phobia about giving caps to young talent in favour of journeymen. Kris Boyd made the same point recently and added in the introduction of Fletcher and Faddy which Vogts got grief for.

When was Fletch first capped, 2003? He was getting cup games at least for Man. United so probably not that different to McTominay.

McFadden had just moved to Everton so an obvious to get involved.

Gilmour and Hornby need some loans next season and then we can assess.

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

Oh great, all of our troubles are over, we have a midfielder who can score against the mighty St Mirren.

Huzzah! </sarcasm>

what was it you said about sarcasm? I think you've mentioned it a few times.

Burke proved last night he’s definitely not a striker.

Looked a hell of a lot better when we went wide later on, it’ll be interesting to see if his loan move gets him a permanent move to another Championship club or indeed a place at WBA next season as he needs games.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:15 PM, McTeeko said:

Fletcher scores again - 5th goal in 6 games. Hitting good club form but not in squad due to ‘managing injury’ 😏

Right - now I thought that under Fifa rules, clubs had to release players for competitive internationals. And I thought they couldn't play for their clubs under the 48 hour rule? Could you see this happen to Engerlund?

I'm going to add Burke to the list which goes: Islam Feruz, Ryan Gould and I hope it doesn't see Billy Gilmour included. If you are good enough you will get your chance - instance Phil foden 18 now played for Man city after competing with De Bruyne, silva etc. The lad at Chlesae Odoi played for Eng. before starting for his club. Both are 18. Gilmour is 18. Hornby maybe older.

Just now, Third Lanark said:

Right - now I thought that under Fifa rules, clubs had to release players for competitive internationals. And I thought they couldn't play for their clubs under the 48 hour rule? Could you see this happen to Engerlund?

Fletcher asked if we minded if we didn't call him up and we said nae bother mate, we don't take international football very seriously.

We have  shown this on numerous occasions, let us know if you fancy it again

17 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Wales for one and that's who I'm focusing on.

But which players?

Daniel James seems to have been a regular for Swansea by the time he was capped.
Tyler Roberts had spent several years out on loan and was a Leeds first team player when he was capped.
Ampadu had been out playing games at Exeter City before he was capped.
Ben Woodburn made his senior Liverpool debut before his Wales debut.
Harry Wilson made his Wales debut 2 and a half years before kicking a competitive football for a club side. But it was purely an exercise in securing him, as he was then never seen again in a Wales shirt until 5 years later, 18 month after he made his Liverpool debut.

So, i think the only one is.. Matt Smith, who had only played u21s for Man City when he was capped, but he's still a fringe player for Wales it seems, he's only played in one of their last 4 games, despite now starting every week for Twente.

Giving young players an opportunity to be in squads is one thing, and that was something i liked about Strachan. He called up a series of young players just to have them about the squad and give them an incentive, as well as capping some kids with potential. If we'd called up Gilmour instead of Fleck and Bannan in the last squad, just to give him the experience of going away and taking a look at his level of development up close then cool. That makes sense to me.

But putting Gilmour and Hornby into the starting 11 is just plain crazy.. and it's not the kind of thing that even Wales does.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm going to add Burke to the list which goes: Islam Feruz, Ryan Gould

Umm why?

Feruz has sunk without a trace and barely played 1st team football.
Gauld was starting every week in Liga Pro before moving to Hibs, and played barely 3 games there before picking up an injury. You've written him off after those 3 games tho? Presumably not having watched any of them? Well done you.

Burke is playing regularly for Celitc and was by far the most dangerous looking player for us in our opening two qualifiers.

I see no similarity between any of the 3, but you carry on making lists if it keeps you happy.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Fletcher asked if we minded if we didn't call him up and we said nae bother mate, we don't take international football very seriously.

We have  shown this on numerous occasions, let us know if you fancy it again

McLeish has totally devalued this qualifying tournament due to having the nations league playoff in his hipper.

The discussion he had regarding McGregor’s retirement in his squad announcement press conference was a joke.

Fans will vote with their feet if he’s still in charge come June.

Just now, andyD said:

Umm why?

Feruz has sunk without a trace and barely played 1st team football.
Gauld was starting every week in Liga Pro before moving to Hibs, and played barely 3 games there before picking up an injury. You've written him off after those 3 games tho? Presumably not having watched any of them? Well done you.

Burke is playing regularly for Celitc and was by far the most dangerous looking player for us in our opening two qualifiers.

I see no similarity between any of the 3, but you carry on making lists if it keeps you happy.

Is Gauld still injured aye?

Thought he looked decent in his first couple of Hibs games.

30 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Burke proved last night he’s definitely not a striker.

Looked a hell of a lot better when we went wide later on, it’ll be interesting to see if his loan move gets him a permanent move to another Championship club or indeed a place at WBA next season as he needs games.

Big man was honking last night. It's frightening how poor his first touch can be, and the less said about his miss from 4 yards out the better.

1 minute ago, Rab The Crab said:

Is Gauld still injured aye?

Thought he looked decent in his first couple of Hibs games.

He did his hamstring, and seemingly felt it in training the other day, so he's not got a return date right now. Fingers crossed he gets back before the end of the season, but better to be safe than sorry where hamstrings are concerned.