Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 90 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Leveins job is to make Hearts better not scotland. 

This is the point I was making.......they aren’t any better. 

He has went down that primitive route of signing very average foreign and journeyman players instead of developing their own players.......who, in my opinion,  are already better footballers.

8 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

This is the point I was making.......they aren’t any better. 

He has went down that primitive route of signing very average foreign and journeyman players instead of developing their own players.......who, in my opinion,  are already better footballers.

They can’t be expected to carry a team at 17. Cochrane has been struggling for fitness. There’s no doubt Levein rates him and Macdonald and he’s just being careful with them. 

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

They can’t be expected to carry a team at 17. Cochrane has been struggling for fitness. There’s no doubt Levein rates him and Macdonald and he’s just being careful with them. 

Am not saying they should carry the team, they have plenty experience around them in players like Naismith and Berra. They won’t develop unless they are playing with and against senior players.

Last year the match day squads were littered with young Scottish talent..... this year they have been bombed for some pretty substandard footballers from what I’ve seen.

1 minute ago, SWMM82 said:

Am not saying they should carry the team, they have plenty experience around them in players like Naismith and Berra. They won’t develop unless they are playing with and against senior players.

Last year the match day squads were littered with young Scottish talent..... this year they have been bombed for some pretty substandard footballers from what I’ve seen.

I think last year they were short of players. There’s a huge difference between a 17 year old and even an 18 year old. That Cochrane has been crocked for so long  is probably something of a warning that he’s physically not quite there yet. 

3 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Agreed 100%

I think the attitude of "Manager X is supposed to make his club better, not the countries national team" is primarily a British thing.

Look at managers of Spain, Italy, Belgium, Holland, etc. The club sides from those countries are littered with home grown players. It's about time we brought in a 3 foreigner rule for our domestic football, we've all seen what not having one had done to the national team. If we have a 3 foreigner rule it'll pretty force teams to focus on their youth academies and it'll give them incentive to have them coached the proper way. 

I can eventually see a foreign limit being introduced in English footballer, sooner rather than later.

11 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Agreed 100%

I think the attitude of "Manager X is supposed to make his club better, not the countries national team" is primarily a British thing.

Look at managers of Spain, Italy, Belgium, Holland, etc. The club sides from those countries are littered with home grown players. It's about time we brought in a 3 foreigner rule for our domestic football, we've all seen what not having one had done to the national team. If we have a 3 foreigner rule it'll pretty force teams to focus on their youth academies and it'll give them incentive to have them coached the proper way. 

I can eventually see a foreign limit being introduced in English footballer, sooner rather than later.

Yeah I agree, and on top of this, having a core of young Scottish players developed through the youth system gives the clubs an identity. Players that know what it’s all about to play for that club and have aspired to play for the senior team.

Look what it meant to Cochrane to bang in that goal against Celtic!

You just don’t see that in a team full of foreigners and English journeymen.

2 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Yeah I agree, and on top of this, having a core of young Scottish players developed through the youth system gives the clubs an identity. Players that know what it’s all about to play for that club and have aspired to play for the senior team.

Totally agree Scottish teams should have a Scottish identity. Levein though has done more than most in developing Scottish players over the last 5 years or so. Gauld, Souttar, Cochrane etc. The latter will get game time no problem at all. Don’t forget Naismith and Berra have been injured, also. Not a time to play 17 year olds when the key senior players are missing. 19 year olds, yes, 17 year olds, no. 

Just now, SWMM82 said:

Exactly.

We've had decades of managers bringing in foreigner after foreigner, and look where it's gotten us. The Scotland national team is in a perpetual slump. If left the clubs own devices this will continue, but it's about time the SFA and the SPFL stepped in and introduced a limit on the amount of foreign players teams can play.

Rangers and Celtic wouldn't like this, but that's even more reason to introduce a 3 foreign rule.

Scottish clubs have neglected their youth for far too long, it's about time they were put-to-task over it. Especially with Rangers and Celtic, with their finances and resources they could've/should've been producing top, top players for the past 10, 20 or 30 years.

Scottish football usually follows English football, in a "lite" way, so I'd say if and when English football does introduce a foreigner rule, we will, too.

58 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Exactly.

We've had decades of managers bringing in foreigner after foreigner, and look where it's gotten us. The Scotland national team is in a perpetual slump. If left the clubs own devices this will continue, but it's about time the SFA and the SPFL stepped in and introduced a limit on the amount of foreign players teams can play.

Rangers and Celtic wouldn't like this, but that's even more reason to introduce a 3 foreign rule.

Scottish clubs have neglected their youth for far too long, it's about time they were put-to-task over it. Especially with Rangers and Celtic, with their finances and resources they could've/should've been producing top, top players for the past 10, 20 or 30 years.

Scottish football usually follows English football, in a "lite" way, so I'd say if and when English football does introduce a foreigner rule, we will, too.

Seem to recall Gary Lineker arguing against. His argument was that 'cream always rises to the top.' Current situation with England team would seem to prove him right; they can select a  squad from nearly all the top 4 clubs in nearly every position without the need to dip into the Championship. In fact Southgate prefers to take someone who doesn't always start every week in preference to a Champ. regular.

18 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Seem to recall Gary Lineker arguing against. His argument was that 'cream always rises to the top.' Current situation with England team would seem to prove him right; they can select a  squad from nearly all the top 4 clubs in nearly every position without the need to dip into the Championship. In fact Southgate prefers to take someone who doesn't always start every week in preference to a Champ. regular.

The previous World Cup was an anomaly as England never faced anyone of note (in the knock-out stages) till they faced Croatia in the semis. Most English fans are honest enough to agree and they say that they faced two teams top teams and got beat three times (Belgium twice and Croatia once).

Over the weekend 12 English players started for the top 4 and Manchester United: Jones, Henderson, Milner, Walker, Stirling, Rose, Winks, Trippier, Ali, Young, Rashford and Lingard.  Comprising of: 1 Central defender (Jones); 5 fullbacks/wingbacks (Milner and Young were playing fullback); 2 central midfielders; 3 attacking midfielders and 1 striker. 

So, unless England are happy with playing 0-5-2-3-1(or whichever other variable you can get with those players) I think England aren't In a healthy place. Everyone knew how good England were in 90 and 96, and the class of player they produced, and those were the times where having a foreign player was classed as a novelty. They've went down since then, and yes, I know about WC2018, but that was a fluke.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Exactly.

It wouldn't make too much difference domestically but would put us at a massive disadvantage in Europe.

We could put out a decent enough team without warning of a new rule.

Gordon

Ralston      NEED     Hendry     Tierney

Brown

Forrest     McGregor     Christie     Johnston

Griffiths

Subs: Miller, Henderson, Allan, Morgan, Burke, Aitchison. 

Personally, I don't think it would make much of a difference.  Players like Gilmour and Fraser would still go down to England before teams like rangers and Aberdeen get any real use out of them.  

Edited by PASTA Mick

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It wouldn't make too much difference domestically but would put us at a massive disadvantage in Europe.

Gordon

Brown

Griffiths

Personally, I don't think it would make much of a difference.  Players like Fraser would still go down to England before teams like Aberdeen get any real use out of them.  

That's actually not a bad team.

It's one of the (many) things that I respect Brendan Rodgers for, his willingness to play and to buy Scottish players is admirable, and not only that, he coaches them the right way and imparts good habits. I had hoped that Gerrard would in the same mould, but it doesn't look like it. That's pretty much why I hope Brendan Rodgers stays with Celtic for his entire management career as he's good for Scotland, as a whole.

It would be a massive disadvantage in Europe? Why? Why can't Celtic or any club in Scotland produce world class players? It's about having the proper facilitates, the proper coaches and the right blueprint. Those aren't going to cost billions.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Gordon

Brown

Griffiths

Personally, I don't think it would make much of a difference.  Players like Gilmour and Fraser would still go down to England before teams like rangers and Aberdeen get any real use out of them.  

This NEED guy sounds good. Is he Scottish? 😉

What has happened with Aitchison? I know he went to Dumbarton on loan, didn't really make a splash and returned early. With Celtic's recent splurge on forward players and Aitchison's absence even from the Celtic bench (even in low profile League Cup games) it looks like he's unlikely to break through any time soon, if at all. Yeah he's still young, but he turns 19 in just over a month so you'd have hoped he'd at least be knocking on the door by now.

2 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

What has happened with Aitchison? I know he went to Dumbarton on loan, didn't really make a splash and returned early. With Celtic's recent splurge on forward players and Aitchison's absence even from the Celtic bench (even in low profile League Cup games) it looks like he's unlikely to break through any time soon, if at all. Yeah he's still young, but he turns 19 in just over a month so you'd have hoped he'd at least be knocking on the door by now.

He's gone to Alloa on loan

2 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Atchison is a right good player, but I think he maybe lacks a yard of pace for the top level.

Edited by bazmidd

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

He's gone to Alloa on loan

25 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Atchison is a right good player, but I think he maybe lacks a yard of pace for the top level.

Thanks chaps.

If the pace thing is right, then he should model himself on Harry Kane. The story is well-known, but apparently Harry Redknapp saw that the teenage HK was a good sharpshooter who could read the game well, but he wasn't very fast. So Redknapp advised him to buy spikes and overload on sprint training to give himself that extra yard. The rest, as they say, is history. Mind you, Aitchison's Wiki page states that he is an Arsenal fan, so mibbes Kane wouldn't be his ideal role model :)

Edited by Rude Gullit

13 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Thanks chaps.

If the pace thing is right, then he should model himself on Harry Kane. The story is well-known, but apparently Harry Redknapp saw that the teenage HK was a good sharpshooter who could read the game well, but he wasn't very fast. So Redknapp advised him to buy spikes and overload on sprint training to give himself that extra yard. The rest, as they say, is history. Mind you, Aitchison's Wiki page states that he is an Arsenal fan, so mibbes Kane wouldn't be his ideal role model :)

Cool. I didn't know that! You learn something new ever day. :)

And I wouldn't be so sure about that, Kane was actually at Arsenal as a schoolboy. ;)

But yes, that's good advice, hopefully someone gives the lad that very advice, because god knows we need a striker!

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

Decent enough start for Burke. :ok:

Long may it continue.

Off topic but Kilmarnock are fantastic. The way that they fight for each other and know their jobs is just brilliant. Each time I see Greg Taylor I'm always impressed.

Stevie Clarke has to be the next Scotland boss. 

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

Long may it continue.

Off topic but Kilmarnock are fantastic. The way that they fight for each other and know their jobs is just brilliant. Each time I see Greg Taylor I'm always impressed.

Stevie Clarke has to be the next Scotland boss. 

Unfortunately I think Celtic will grab him before we do.