Jump to content
PASTA Mick

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Fraser Hornby back in action tonight for Everton U23s and scored against a Chelsea team featuring Billy Gilmour. 

Does anyone know anything about George Johnston? 20-year-old centre back who captained Liverpool U23s tonight. 

Good to hear Hornby is back from his injury now, would love to see him press on and get around the Everton first team, looked a good talent for the Scotland U21s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I understood he was well thought of. I've been keeping an eye on their U23s as they also have Gallacher who hasn't featured for a while. But Johnston's played all the games I've checked. Captaining Liverpool's U23 doesn't guarantee you'll make it but it's positive.

Just a shame he's left footed!

Ruben sammut captained the Chelsea u23s for a couple  of years I think but now struggles to get consistent game time with Falkirk. I always take any achievements at that level as very little to base wether a player will make it at a decent level. Hopefully he does make it but a loan move to a league 1 side or spl would be good to see if he has any potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ruben sammut captained the Chelsea u23s for a couple  of years I think but now struggles to get consistent game time with Falkirk. I always take any achievements at that level as very little to base wether a player will make it at a decent level. Hopefully he does make it but a loan move to a league 1 side or spl would be good to see if he has any potential.

You're right. However, the bigger the pool of youngsters at top clubs the better it is for the future. Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool are all amongst the world's biggest teams and we have a youngster at each. Then one at wolves and Everton and a scattering elsewhere. It's not a huge number but they're getting world class coaching. Even at Stoke. Hardly a great team but Souttar is coming through and was on the bench last weekend.

It just adds up to more reasons to be cheerful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, SkyBlueScot said:

You're right. However, the bigger the pool of youngsters at top clubs the better it is for the future. Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool are all amongst the world's biggest teams and we have a youngster at each. Then one at wolves and Everton and a scattering elsewhere. It's not a huge number but they're getting world class coaching. Even at Stoke. Hardly a great team but Souttar is coming through and was on the bench last weekend.

It just adds up to more reasons to be cheerful.

Yeh I suppose it is a positive to have as many young players at top clubs as possible. Hopefully we see some of them break into the first team or make it at a good level. Mctominay has been relatively successful and will probably make it at EPL level. Hopefully Hornby and gilmour can make an impact soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full 90 minutes for Burke. Great to hear that. How did he play? Although I can imagine that giving him confidence through playing full matches would be a sensible tactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Full 90 minutes for Burke. Great to hear that. How did he play? Although I can imagine that giving him confidence through playing full matches would be a sensible tactic.

He played as a long striker.

Generally he did OK. His shot lead to the first goal, after the keeper palmed it to Sinclair. History almost repeated itself later on in the match, but Sinclair was wrongly ruled offside.

He missed a chance late on in the match, all he had to do was head the ball goalward, but for some weird reason he headed it sideways.

I thought he did alright.

Michael Johnston was absolutely electric when he came on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fraser looking good again. 

There aren't too many players in that league that are better than Fraser. He deserves a move to a team that play in Europe. He'd improve most sides in that league. Great player. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chucking in the who scored ratings,

Well above average for Robertson and Fraser in the EPL and decent for Paterson playing high up the pitch for a team that lost 3-0.

Championship goals for Mcburnie and Fletcher both with high ratings and MoM for Fletcher.

Interestingly (or not,) McBurnie  Fletcher and Paterson won 29 aerial duels between them. That is massive and would really piss Belgium off.

As  a negative Armstrong and Snodgrass were both on the bench with the former managing to pick up negative points in what little time he was on the pitch.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really disappointed in Levein and Hearts. The likes of Cochrane and McDonald played a big part in the success of the team last year.....but they are rarely seen in the squad now. Frustrating thing is, Hearts look worse for it! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Really disappointed in Levein and Hearts. The likes of Cochrane and McDonald played a big part in the success of the team last year.....but they are rarely seen in the squad now. Frustrating thing is, Hearts look worse for it! 

 

Agree with this. Cochrane looked class last season. I know he’s been injured this season but he’s hardly played at all even when fit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cairney starts on the bench and no McDonald at all (is he injured?) Reports are that Fulham are looking to loan McDonald out and I wonder if Cairney might look for a move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Cairney starts on the bench and no McDonald at all (is he injured?) Reports are that Fulham are looking to loan McDonald out and I wonder if Cairney might look for a move.

Not the first time Cairney has found himself on the bench this season, bad news when you're captain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Not the first time Cairney has found himself on the bench this season, bad news when you're captain

I think the change of system hasn't helped. They started the season trying to play free flowing attacking football like they did before but their defence was shown to be a shambles. Now 2 separate managers have tried to swap systems around and sacrifice players in order to stop conceding goals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Why bother any longer about Kevin McDonald ? He's pish, a liability on the park. I'd be disappointed if McLeish picks him again.

No point when there's McGregor, Armstrong, McGinn, Shinnie and McTominay who I'd pick before him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 10:21 PM, Chripper said:

He played as a long striker.

Like Peter Crouch?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 12:24 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Why bother any longer about Kevin McDonald ? He's pish, a liability on the park. I'd be disappointed if McLeish picks him again.

He should never even be spoken about in this forum again 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 3:30 PM, Stuart87 said:

Agree with this. Cochrane looked class last season. I know he’s been injured this season but he’s hardly played at all even when fit.  

 

Leveins job is to make Hearts better not scotland.  I think he is doing the right thing using them sparingly.  If they are good enough they will force their way in to the first team.  I know how highly he rates McDonald in particular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×