Jump to content
PASTA Mick

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

Recommended Posts

On 12/16/2018 at 6:59 PM, vanderark14 said:

If Forrest keeps up his form he deserves to start ahead of Snodgrass. Forrest for all his previous bad performances turned up and now the right wing is his to lose.

There is no argument at left back, Robertson is currently the first choice left back at one of Europe's top teams who also happen to sit top of their league. Hes on the the form of his life.

Yeah Forrest will start next game due to saving 'Eck job with a hat trick. Just find him an incredibly inconsistant player so will have to see what his form is like in March generally. With Snoddy you know he'll work hard regardless of form and he's playing so well in premier league atm. Back to what he was like at Hull 2-3 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 10:01 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure what stages of their careers they were all at then , but with the exception of Boyd that's a pretty good side

Probably wouldn't have got lucky against France twice though😉

Miller played great in that campaign from memory so should be ahead of Boyd. Mculloch was also an underrated member of that squad as was Hartley so there was decent depth to that squad in most areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 2:05 AM, Chripper said:

No, you're wrong. We played 3-5-2 in all 6 of the matches we played at 96 and 98. I still have them on VHS. Craig Brown played 3-5-2 every single match he was in charge. He said that he got the idea from Germany and he was staunch in his convictions that he was going to play with it no matter what.

The opening match at the World cup against Brazil we played with a three - Hendry, Boyd and Calderwood - Burley and Dailly were wingbacks -  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x542gtp

Also against Norway we played with the same three at the back, John Motson confirms it - They were Hendry, Calderwood and Boyd - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5v0c3c - with Burley and Dailly as wingbacks.

I honestly don't know why people seem to think three at the back is complicated. Who is it complicated for? The fans or the players? If it wasn't complicated for Hendry, Boyd and Calderwood then why should it be complicated for our current crop of center backs? Blackburn played with a 4-4-2, as did Spurs and as for Boyd, he was left back for Celtic. I flatly refuse to believe that our current players haven't got the adaptability of the players who played 20 years ago.

Just this weekend three (weirdly enough) teams played with three at the back in the SPL, so I have no idea why some people seem so adamant that it's some sort of medieval formation that no one uses anymore. Livingston aren't doing too badly, just off beating Hearts 5:0 and having the third best defensive record in the SPL.  

If what you say is correct the ironic thing is Vogts was actually the Germany manager at the time Craig Brown took over Scotland!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

If what you say is correct the ironic thing is Vogts was actually the Germany manager at the time Craig Brown took over Scotland!

Yes, it's correct and it's very ironic.

Berti was always a 4-4-2 man, though. He won Euro 96 with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

What's the thoughts on Ralston's development?

I'm not sure he will be good enough to be first choice at Celtic. Maybe good enough to be back-up or at another Premiership team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, ProudScot said:

Anyone else pretty sick of this guy chripper 🙄 Mods - step in! 

Sent you a PM (you already know)

No reply.

Guessing you're one of these people who would rather talk about someone than talk to them.

Interesting. And telling the Mods to step in (and ban me). I thought we were back at primary school.

On topic: Ryan Porteous with yet another solid display. He's a little rash at times, but he is certainly no-nonsense.

Edited by Chripper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Sky Sports power rankings have Snoddy as the most in-form player in the EPL right now https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11584157/premier-league-power-rankings-west-hams-robert-snodgrass-top

First time I've seen these rankings. Thought the season chart was interesting and pretty impressive from a Scottish point of view - 3 Scots in the top 50 players of the EPL. Not bad considering we only have 11 players in that league. 

In comparison there only 7 English players (out of the 167 players they have). The only other nations that have higher representations than us are Brazil (9), France (6) and Spain (5). We're ahead of Germany (2), Portugal (2), Belgium (1), Netherlands (1) and Argentina (1). Ireland also have 1 player, Wales and Northern Ireland both have none. 

Realise the likes of Brazil, Portugal and Belgium have their best players playing in other top leagues but these seems impressive nonetheless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

First time I've seen these rankings. Thought the season chart was interesting and pretty impressive from a Scottish point of view - 3 Scots in the top 50 players of the EPL. Not bad considering we only have 11 players in that league. 

In comparison there only 7 English players (out of the 167 players they have). The only other nations that have higher representations than us are Brazil (9), France (6) and Spain (5). We're ahead of Germany (2), Portugal (2), Belgium (1), Netherlands (1) and Argentina (1). Ireland also have 1 player, Wales and Northern Ireland both have none. 

Realise the likes of Brazil, Portugal and Belgium have their best players playing in other top leagues but these seems impressive nonetheless. 

The fact Robertson and Fraser aren't on the list but McArthur is suggests that these rankings are best off ignored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Folk calling for Snodgrass to be in a starting 11 need shot. 

Don't think any one has suggested he should be in the starting eleven, just in the squad based on current form.

Who's to say what the situation will be in four months time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'm not sure he will be good enough to be first choice at Celtic. Maybe good enough to be back-up or at another Premiership team. 

He's only just turned twenty and was out injured for a bit? No idea how he performed on trial at Dundee Utd but on paper he is still on target to become a decent player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

First time I've seen these rankings. Thought the season chart was interesting and pretty impressive from a Scottish point of view - 3 Scots in the top 50 players of the EPL. Not bad considering we only have 11 players in that league. 

In comparison there only 7 English players (out of the 167 players they have). The only other nations that have higher representations than us are Brazil (9), France (6) and Spain (5). We're ahead of Germany (2), Portugal (2), Belgium (1), Netherlands (1) and Argentina (1). Ireland also have 1 player, Wales and Northern Ireland both have none. 

Realise the likes of Brazil, Portugal and Belgium have their best players playing in other top leagues but these seems impressive nonetheless. 

The who scored ratings have Robertson and Fraser in the top 50, and Paterson just outside, 11 English players in top 50. These are for the season, not sure what a power ranking is but it must be heavily weighted towards recent form.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The who scored ratings have Robertson and Fraser in the top 50, and Paterson just outside, 11 English players in top 50. These are for the season, not sure what a power ranking is but it must be heavily weighted towards recent form.

 

It's just the last 5 matches. Power ratings are for current form, not entire season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

It's just the last 5 matches. Power ratings are for current form, not entire season. 

There’s an ‘in-form’ chart and a ‘season chart’. Just scroll down a bit. 

Fraser, Robertson and Snodgrass are in the top 50 for the season. 

The power rankings award weighted points for goals, assists, chances created, tackles, dribbles completed etc. Similar to WhoScored ratings. 

The top 5 this season are Salah, Hazard, Sterling, Felipe Anderson and Aubaneyang. So seems pretty accurate.

Advanced stats are becoming more popular in football. I reckon this list is a pretty good indicator. Most clubs (even the Scottish ones) employ analysts to build up data for potential signings/current players and oppositions players. 

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Folk calling for Snodgrass to be in a starting 11 need shot. 

Hahaha, strong opinion! Is it based on anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's only just turned twenty and was out injured for a bit? No idea how he performed on trial at Dundee Utd but on paper he is still on target to become a decent player.

As far as I'm aware he was pretty poor at Dundee United.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

As far as I'm aware he was pretty poor at Dundee United.

He was very good at Dundee United.  We'll take him back if not required at Celtic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, adamntg said:

He was very good at Dundee United.  We'll take him back if not required at Celtic.

Really? I genuinely didn't know that. Any time I heard fans (Dundee United and other Championship teams) talking about him it generally seemed to be fairly negative.

Happy to be proven wrong by someone who'd know:ok:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Really? I genuinely didn't know that. Any time I heard fans (Dundee United and other Championship teams) talking about him it generally seemed to be fairly negative.

Happy to be proven wrong by someone who'd know:ok:

You're speaking to the wrong United fans.  Most of them are idiots.

Ralston stood out like a sore thumb in our team of hopeless fannies.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, adamntg said:

You're speaking to the wrong United fans.  Most of them are idiots.

Ralston stood out like a sore thumb in our team of hopeless fannies.

Agreed.

When a good player is playing in a poor team/with poor players sometimes it's difficult for fans to pick out the wheat from the chaff.

God knows we could do with a good right back!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×