Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 135 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

8 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Just had a look. Really excited by this. A player in Serie A and La Liga next season and a Scot with a Champions League winners medal. Perhaps doesn't change too much but the direction of travel is very exciting.

Hopefully Henderson and Harper will do well next season. Shame Bates didn't go up too.

Hopefully clubs from all over Europe will start looking at Scottish players and we will see more moving abroad. 

A Scot in Serie A with a 19 year old brother that is supposedly better than him, I think we might be getting a wee bit carried away here.

Nice to see how he get's on but he isn't a regular starter for a team that needed the playoffs to get promoted. How good are the bottom six teams in Serie A which is about the best Verona can hope for.

40 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A Scot in Serie A with a 19 year old brother that is supposedly better than him, I think we might be getting a wee bit carried away here.

Nice to see how he get's on but he isn't a regular starter for a team that needed the playoffs to get promoted. How good are the bottom six teams in Serie A which is about the best Verona can hope for.

Bottom 6 this season consisted of Genoa, Fiorentina (who have made it to the later stages of European competitions fairly regularly over last 5 or so years) and Parma (on their first season back) which are pretty middle of the road/well known teams in Italian football... rest where Empoli (who yo-yo between divisions, but ended season strong and unlucky to go down on final day) and Chievo Verona.

So certainly a pretty strong mix. 

Edited by wanderer

26 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Bottom 6 this season consisted of Genoa, Fiorentina (who have made it to the later stages of European competitions fairly regularly over last 5 or so years) and Parma (on their first season back) which are pretty middle of the road/well known teams in Italian football... rest where Empoli (who yo-yo between divisions, but ended season strong and unlucky to go down on final day) and Chievo Verona.

So certainly a pretty strong mix. 

Nearly impossible to compare Leagues of course, It's just that what I have watched I thought the bottom of Serie A was the worst of Europes top five leagues. I do watch a lot of daft games simply because the bookies have live feeds and I do like a bet.

How ever my love of whoscored.com suggests the bottom of Serie A is better than that of  Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga so maybe better than I thought. Not as good as the EPL and would we really be getting excited about a bit part player for Norwich, Sheff utd or Villa?

I think this is all a case of remembering Lambert and Collins and thinking the same is happening here.

Regards Fiorentina, whoscored has them as the 10th best team in Serie A despite their league position and just behind Man UTD in overall European  terms, but then they rated Man Utd as only the 12th best in the Premiership. Think all that says is the best teams are the best the worst teams are the worst and every one else is a total blur which is why the bookies own me.

Any way good luck to the boy but it's  really nothing to get excited about, but probably more than David Bates who is rated the 85th best player in Bundesliga two

So, to try and sum up the season....

• Andy Robertson - Champions League winner, finished 2nd in the EPL.
  • James Forrest - Won another treble and several POTY awards.
  • Callum McGregor - Won another treble and several POTY awards.
  • Scott Bain, Kieren Tierney, Ryan Christie, Oliver Burke - Won the treble.
  • Grant Hanley, Kenny MacLean - Won the league and promotion to the EPL.
  • John Fleck - Won promotion to the EPL.
  • John McGinn - Aston Villa POTY and promoted to the EPL.
  • Ryan Fraser - POTY for Bournemouth and likely to move to a ELP top 6 side in the near future. 
  • Scott McTominay - Established himself under two different managers at Man Utd, playing in the later stages of the CL.
  • Ryan Jack - Beat Celtic twice. 
  • Jack Harper - Earned a move to Europa League bound Gatafe.
  • Liam Henderson - Won promotion to Serie A.
  • Oliver McBurnie - Scored 24 goals this season. 

Not the worst season ever...

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

• Ryan Fraser - POTY for Bournemouth and likely to move to a ELP top 6 side in the near future. 
  • Scott McTominay - Established himself under two different managers at Man Utd, playing in the later stages of the CL.

Desperate times if beating Celtic twice is enough to get Jack in that list!

Might as well join in.

Taylor, SOD, Findlay and Brophy beat Celtic at home and beat the team that beat Celtic twice, twice at home and drew twice at Ibrox!

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Looks nice until you add up all the defenders 

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Desperate times if beating Celtic twice is enough to get Jack in that list!

Might as well join in.

Taylor, SOD, Findlay and Brophy beat Celtic at home and beat the team that beat Celtic twice, twice at home and drew twice at Ibrox!

Image result for joke over head meme

22 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Hopefully Henderson and Harper will do well next season. Shame Bates didn't go up too.

Hopefully clubs from all over Europe will start looking at Scottish players and we will see more moving abroad. 

Well Ziggy's going to Bucharest.   I wonder if that's because Dinamo have a chess club though?

47 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Henderson at Verona's victory celebration .....

Liam Henderson takes the plaudits from the Verona fans

Did you see the photo of him and his brother after the match? I liked that.

Don't think we're getting carried away.  You do need some perspective but seeing the Saltires on the backs of successful Scots gives hope.

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Venezia and Harvey St Clair got relegated from Serie B last night

Didn't play last night but he was getting slightly more game time towards the end of the season.

Still only 20 but I'm not sure were this leaves him now.

all very bizarre. they thought they'd stayed up with a last day win only for Palermo's points deduction to be reduced leaving Venezia in 15th. apparently they have the playoff between 15th and 16th but only if the gap between them is less than 5pts. then the playoff is 2 legs but no away goal rule even though there is in the promotion playoffs? (if there was then Venezia would have stayed up). 
Seems like a pretty crazy relegation format.

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Venezia and Harvey St Clair got relegated from Serie B last night

Didn't play last night but he was getting slightly more game time towards the end of the season.

Still only 20 but I'm not sure were this leaves him now.

I am pretty certain Venezia will appeal and probably stay in B. Italian clubs like an appeal.

10 hours ago, csinclair said:

Malaga lost 4-2 away in the first leg of their playoff with Harper still missing through injury

Is he definitely injured? He played 90 mins in their previous game when Blanco was out suspended but not even in the squad yesterday with Blanco back in. I haven't seen anything about him being injured again and thought they'd maybe taken the huff with him for signing for Getafe before the end of the season.

19 minutes ago, SlamDuncan said:

Is he definitely injured? He played 90 mins in their previous game when Blanco was out suspended but not even in the squad yesterday with Blanco back in. I haven't seen anything about him being injured again and thought they'd maybe taken the huff with him for signing for Getafe before the end of the season.

Seems like he was in training all week according to the Malaga website.

I figured they gave him a place for the (meaningless?) final day game as a goodwill gesture to a local lad.

• 2 weeks later...

This is good news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48717856

Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths has "knuckled down" in training and is back in contention for first-team selection, says manager Neil Lennon.

The Scotland forward hasn't played since December due to mental health issues.

Lennon says it is now "payback time" for the 28-year-old who could play in Celtic's Champions League first-round qualifier against Sarajevo next month.

"He's doing very, very well. We're really pleased with him," Lennon said.

"He's done a really good week, double sessions, he's been training constantly for the last two or three months on his conditioning, so I'd have no problem putting him in.

"He's in a good place at the minute. It's a credit to him he's knuckled down away from the limelight."

Griffiths has netted 104 goals in 202 appearances for the Scottish champions and Lennon is thrilled to have him back on board.

"It's great," he added. "We have a proven goalscorer at club and international level who we've missed for a significant period of time.

"It's payback time for him as the club's been very good to him. He knows that and he knows what he's got with me."

It would be wonderful to have him back for the Russia and Belgium games this September.

Edited by ErsatzThistle