Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 130 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

6 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Big problem is, how many of them will be in the first team in August / September? If Celtic get a chequebook manager like Benitez ( or others mentioned) then big signings will be made and Johnson and Henderson will be shuttled down the pecking order again. We have been here before with Levein, think the season before this one, replaced by journeymen pros with limited success, Gerrard jury still out but they would have to be special as Rangers will once again need to get closer to Celtic next season. Probably better looking at Aberdeen, Hibs or Motherwell for clubs giving sustainable runs to youngsters.

BTW whats happened to Porteous?

Porteous is injured.

10 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

It wasn't just Celtic playing the youngsters. Hearts had 5 Scots starting (and that's without Naismith, Cochrane and Berra) which included a 16 year old and a 17 year old. They looked alright as well from what I saw.

That said Johnston and Henderson looked superb. Johnston is going to some player.

Also pleasing to see the number of Scots growing in the Rangers squad. Mebude came on. How did he do?

Thought the boy Hickey looked excellent at left back....but apparently can play right back as well....he is only 16. Connor Smith showed some good composure on the ball, including a great turn that completely took out a couple of Celtic players in the second half.

Add to this Cochrane and Anthony McDonald, who has been out on loan this season, Hearts have got a good core if young players.

But I agree, when used correctly, Johnstone is some talent!

Didn’t see the Rangers game so can’t comment on Mebude. Great that he has someone like Defoe at the club to learn off though.

14 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

As for goalkeepers, I still think Marshall is by far our best option. Bain, Kelly, Zander Clarke etc. will get exposed badly at international level in my opinion.

Really hope Kelly gets a good move this summer to somewhere he can improve even more

22 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Bates not even in the Hamburg squad today. Sad times. 

He hasn't been playing regularly for a while and Hamburg have been rotten. Confirmed that they are staying in 2 Bundesliga for another season so hopefully he gets out during the transfer window. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again, we really should consider playing unofficial games for the manager and coaches to have a closer look at the younger lads and how they get on outside of their clubs and adapt to paying with new teammates.

Arrange a game against Corsica or Galicia and put out an XI like this - Kelly (Livingston). Cadden (Motherwell), Halkett (Livingston), Findlay (Kilmarnock), Taylor (Kilmarnock), Johnston (Celtic), Ferguson (Aberdeen), Turnbull (Motherwell), Middleton (Rangers), Brophy (Kilmarnock), Hornby (Everton)

You could also have players like - Clark (St Johnstone), Campbell (Motherwell), Hamilton (Manchester Utd), McCrorie (Rangers) - on the bench

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again, we really should consider playing unofficial games for the manager and coaches to have a closer look at the younger lads and how they get on outside of their clubs and adapt to paying with new teammates.

Arrange a game against Corsica or Galicia and put out an XI like this - Kelly (Livingston). Cadden (Motherwell), Halkett (Livingston), Findlay (Kilmarnock), Taylor (Kilmarnock), Johnston (Celtic), Ferguson (Aberdeen), Turnbull (Motherwell), Middleton (Rangers), Brophy (Kilmarnock), Hornby (Everton)

You could also have players like - Clark (St Johnstone), Campbell (Motherwell), Hamilton (Manchester Utd), McCrorie (Rangers) - on the bench

Problem being, these games are unofficial, and you are relying on goodwill of the clubs to release players, hence these games have a habit of turning into a scraping the barrel to put together a Z-team, where hardly anyone involved gets recalled for main team (which ultimately defeats the whole purpose) 

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Problem being, these games are unofficial, and you are relying on goodwill of the clubs to release players, hence these games have a habit of turning into a scraping the barrel to put together a Z-team, where hardly anyone involved gets recalled for main team (which ultimately defeats the whole purpose) 

Thank you for pointing out the abundantly obvious, I am deeply grateful for that.

I maintain it's a good idea to try at least once.

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Thank you for pointing out the abundantly obvious, I am deeply grateful for that.

I maintain it's a good idea to try at least once.

Never said it was a bad idea, as I would like the SFA to try it out.... just pointing out, as has been shown in the past, these ultimately end up being a waste of time.

52 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Under 23 internationals used to be pretty major for the players selected as it was seen as the next step towards becoming a full international.

Seriously hope we have seen the last of full international friendlies as they meant nothing to the established players and next to no game time for the others. Just a pile of meaningless caps.

Think a squad like yours against any other countries younger fringe players would make more sense if kept to a certain age group. At that age as well players would be old enough to make their own mind up about nationality rather than being forced into it by agents when younger.

Basically what I am saying is 21 is too young an age to decide if players have an international future. But B internationals don't work either so bringing back the under 23 level makes sense.

Not sure but I think you were allowed two or three over age players if you wanted. So you could add Fletcher for example to make something more to the experience. Or you could add Cairney or Cooper to see if they really want it.

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

When would these games be played? The calendar is full as it is.

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

A international match can be played any day of the year (except Champions League final day), so there is plenty of dates available.

Scandinavian teams and a few of the lesser Eastern European teams play Internationals during the winter (but these are usually local league selects rather than the main team).

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

A international match can be played any day of the year (except Champions League final day), so there is plenty of dates available.

Scandinavian teams and a few of the lesser Eastern European teams play Internationals during the winter (but these are usually local league selects rather than the main team).

Clubs aren’t going to release players for a meaningless bounce game. It’s hard enough to get them to release players for qualifiers. 

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Clubs aren’t going to release players for a meaningless bounce game. It’s hard enough to get them to release players for qualifiers. 

Nope, hence why I said previously that it’s a waste of time, as it will be a Z-list Squad and reason they are not as popular as they were 20 years ago.

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

There's nothing in my calendar for tomorrow so we can play the game then down at the Cowan Park pitches, Barrhead :ok:

Sorted.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Nope, hence why I said previously that it’s a waste of time, as it will be a Z-list Squad and reason they are not as popular as they were 20 years ago.

I'm deeply honoured that a pretendy sports writer disagrees with me :wave:

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There's nothing in my calendar for tomorrow so we can play the game then down at the Cowan Park pitches, Barrhead :ok:

Well the players in question are either still with their clubs or away on holiday so you’ll be hanging around the park yourself. 

Another one slips the net?

Terry Taylor, who will be 18 later this month, is the captain of Wolves' under-18 side, just been picked for training squad by Giggs.  He was born in Scotland - and has represented us at youth level - but qualifies for Wales through his mother.  Taylor, who skippered Wales at under-15 level, joined Wolves from Aberdeen in the summer of 2017.

Okay I know nothing about him, always disappointing though when we lose anyone who is eligible to play for us.  I know its only a training camp but just wnated to pick up on Giggs willingness to select youngsters and get them involved.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Let's hope this isn't an indication of things to come

Tbh if we don't start involving him in the senior squads then you can guarantee Ireland will be quick to call him up. I think he's potentially too good a talent to lose and we should call him up for the next games. 

Similar to Dembele and McTominay etc we just cannot give these guys are run-out to tie them to us for the rest of their careers. Need to earn it. Now maybe Clarke has been impressed enough with Johnston to call him up next month but not just to give him 5 minutes at the end. Always looked up for it in under 19s and 21s.