Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 127 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

27 minutes ago, borojock said:

Slightly off topic but i see Jensen Weir (Davies son) is in the England Under 17 squad for the championship

I know both are still very young and could go either way but i hope him and Dembele dont turn out to be big misses 

I’vr said before i find that disappointing. How a Scotland captain could let his son turn out for England is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’vr said before i find that disappointing. How a Scotland captain could let his son turn out for England is beyond me. 

How couldn’t exactly stop him. 

What amazes me is how could a Scotland captain’s son want to play for England? 

Can people please stop going on about Jensen Weir and Karamoko Dembélé as though they have already made it ?

Remember the disappointment felt when Josh McEachran (Scottish parents) turned us down several years ago ?

He's just been released by Brentford.

22 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Can people please stop going on about Jensen Weir and Karamoko Dembélé as though they have already made it ?

Remember the disappointment felt when Josh McEachran (Scottish parents) turned us down several years ago ?

He's just been released by Brentford.

You may well be right but it's still disappointing . I want anyone 's eligible to want to play for Scotland, that should be the pinnacle of your dreams.

18 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

You may well be right but it's still disappointing . I want anyone 's eligible to want to play for Scotland, that should be the pinnacle of your dreams.

Go on, I'll stick my neck oot and make a prediction.

Jensen Weir and Karamoko Dembélé will end up playing League two football or similar in five years time.

19 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Bates would probably be out of his depth in the Bundesliga at this stage. Another year in the German second tier may not be a bad thing for him. 

I'd like to see him have the opportunity to test himself at that level tho. Often people rise to a challenge.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

How is anyone disappointed by the Jensen Weir situation!?

Born in England, brought up there & all his pals will be English. 

He is English. Would be weird if he wanted to play for Scotland. 

Don’t be ridiculous. Tell that to McTominay and Harper, neither of whom have a former Scotland captain as a father.

11 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, he wants to play for England, but he could be Scottish if he wanted to be. Like I say, disappointing.

Disappointing for us yes but you can't blame someone for wanting to play for the country they've lived most of their life in.

Dembele on the other hand I have much less respect for.

35 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Disappointing for us yes but you can't blame someone for wanting to play for the country they've lived most of their life in.

Dembele on the other hand I have much less respect for.

I’m not blaming the boy but it does make me wonder how fussed his dad was playing for Scotland. 

19 hours ago, ProudScot said:

How is anyone disappointed by the Jensen Weir situation!?

Born in England, brought up there & all his pals will be English. 

He is English. Would be weird if he wanted to play for Scotland. 

I know quite a few people who were born in England to Scottish parents but they consider themselves Scottish, its not inconceivable to think Weir would ant to play for Scotland 

On the face of it, you'd absolutely expect that the son of a former Scotland International would automatically support Scotland. In the cases of Angus Gunn and Jensen Weir I find it utterly weird that they'd rather play for England than the country that their father played for.

I think it would be a reasonable guess that Angus Gunn would have more than a soft spot for Norwich, while I'd imagine that 'No Surrender Davie Weirs' boy would have spent many a happy day at Ibrox. Why do they not feel the same way about their fathers countries? Is it because we're shite? Is it because their dads are wallopers? 

Who knows, but there is a lot to be said for the attitude of Archie Gemmill (amongst others), who decanted their family back North when their was a child being born

27 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

On the face of it, you'd absolutely expect that the son of a former Scotland International would automatically support Scotland. In the cases of Angus Gunn and Jensen Weir I find it utterly weird that they'd rather play for England than the country that their father played for.

I think it would be a reasonable guess that Angus Gunn would have more than a soft spot for Norwich, while I'd imagine that 'No Surrender Davie Weirs' boy would have spent many a happy day at Ibrox. Why do they not feel the same way about their fathers countries? Is it because we're shite? Is it because their dads are wallopers? 

Who knows, but there is a lot to be said for the attitude of Archie Gemmill (amongst others), who decanted their family back North when their was a child being born

To be fair, Brian Gunn moved to Norwich in 1986, and bar a couple of months at Hibs in the late 90's, he has not lived in Scotland since (His wife is also English.... Gemmill argument is I believe he was already married before he moved to England). 

Gunn will probably turn out to be the biggest loss (but being honest its his choice to make and fair enough to him).

I once met his dad, and while we joked about it (he even refereed to Angus as a "wee Sassanach" but certainly respects his choice).... honestly not going to lose sleep over Weir, as he still has a long way to go (John McGinley had a son in the Man City youth team few years ago that got folk excited for about 10 minutes.....)

I'm not worried about losing either of them, but I still find it really bizarre that these two guys have opted out of playing for the same country as their dad...its their decision and they'll have reasons for doing it, I just find it really odd. Unless their dads were never really that fussed about being part of the Scotland set-up...but in Gunns case in particular, he travelled the world, often to sit in the stand as 3rd choice.

2 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'm not worried about losing either of them, but I still find it really bizarre that these two guys have opted out of playing for the same country as their dad...its their decision and they'll have reasons for doing it, I just find it really odd. Unless their dads were never really that fussed about being part of the Scotland set-up...but in Gunns case in particular, he travelled the world, often to sit in the stand as 3rd choice.

It's disappointing but not all that odd, when you think about it. Gunn and Weir could have returned to Scotland after they'd retired from playing but for whatever reason decided to stay in England. Their sons were born (I assume) and brought up down there, and formed their own identities as they grew older.  (Didn't one of Terry Butcher's sons play for Scotland at age group level? If so, that's a similar situation).

Also, neither Gunn or Weir junior will have any living memory of seeing Scotland playing in a major tournament finals, let alone their dads playing there (although the young Weir might still remember his dad playing for Scotland). 

Oh for the days when we could call up a goalie from the English top flight and afford to have him sat in the stands though!