Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 123 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

He tends to do that. He did it against England.

Him and McGinn in the middle of midfield is like a Stephen King novel.

I don't think two instances really constitutes a tendency. I mean, I don't "tend" to drink Tennents Super, but when in Rome... As for McGinn, he wins the ball more than he gives it away. I'll take that. 

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I don't think two instances really constitutes a tendency. I mean, I don't "tend" to drink Tennents Super, but when in Rome... As for McGinn, he wins the ball more than he gives it away. I'll take that. 

Plus he's struggling to break into a lousy Southampton side. All signs point to a bang average player.

And as for McGinn, his inflated ass on an energizer bunny routine may impress the locals, but not me. Our best central midfield consists of McTominay, Robertson/Tierney and Fraser. Three of whom are playing in a top league and two are high in the rankings for assists. We need creativity in midfield as well as dependability, not a Championship player who runs around like he's got a peeled Jalapeno in his anus. 

10 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Plus he's struggling to break into a lousy Southampton side. All signs point to a bang average player.

And as for McGinn, his inflated ass on an energizer bunny routine may impress the locals, but not me. Our best central midfield consists of McTominay, Robertson/Tierney and Fraser. Three of whom are playing in a top league and two are high in the rankings for assists. We need creativity in midfield as well as dependability, not a Championship player who runs around like he's got a peeled Jalapeno in his anus. 

I really do love those four players you highlighted, but the truth is that two of them are not midfielders, and one of the others has had fewer games than I've had half pizza suppers. We can't afford to turn our noses up at players like Armstrong and McGinn at the moment. 

That said I think our strongest current midfield would be Forrest, McTominay, McGregor, Fraser. 

12 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I really do love those four players you highlighted, but the truth is that two of them are not midfielders, and one of the others has had fewer games than I've had half pizza suppers. We can't afford to turn our noses up at players like Armstrong and McGinn at the moment. 

That said I think our strongest current midfield would be Forrest, McTominay, McGregor, Fraser. 

Why are so many people obsessed with "natural positions" ? 

Do Austria quibble about David Alaba playing as anchorman when he plays left back for his club? How about Germany fans saying that Kimmich isn't an anchorman as he plays all season at right back? No they don't. These two players could probably play anywhere on the park (apart from in goal) and I'd say the same about the players that I mentioned... although I'd worry about Fraser's height at center back...

David Alaba plays in the engine room for Austria because he's their best player. Who is our best player? Robertson? Why do we never think outside the box when other nations don't have a problem with it?

I've listed our best players, and I'd play 3 out of 4 of them in midfield, without a moment's hesitation. People say that Robertson rarely has a good game for Scotland, yes, that's because Liverpool have a better midfield than us. If we move him in the engine room he can get more involved. I don't care for "natural positions", as top players can play anywhere.

Plus I assume you're playing 4 in defence? Yeah, unless we're playing a team lower in the rankings than Kazakhstan, we'll get ripped open. 

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

I think the figure for how often he loses the ball is pretty high too. Still can't figure out if this a normal sort of thing for the type of player he is. He sort of wins the bal to  stop the opposition attacking but loses it which stops his own team attacking, , think he needs to learn how to pass rather than attempt to dribble.

10 hours ago, Chripper said:

Why are so many people obsessed with "natural positions" ? 

Do Austria quibble about David Alaba playing as anchorman when he plays left back for his club? How about Germany fans saying that Kimmich isn't an anchorman as he plays all season at right back? No they don't. These two players could probably play anywhere on the park (apart from in goal) and I'd say the same about the players that I mentioned... although I'd worry about Fraser's height at center back...

David Alaba plays in the engine room for Austria because he's their best player. Who is our best player? Robertson? Why do we never think outside the box when other nations don't have a problem with it?

I've listed our best players, and I'd play 3 out of 4 of them in midfield, without a moment's hesitation. People say that Robertson rarely has a good game for Scotland, yes, that's because Liverpool have a better midfield than us. If we move him in the engine room he can get more involved. I don't care for "natural positions", as top players can play anywhere.

Plus I assume you're playing 4 in defence? Yeah, unless we're playing a team lower in the rankings than Kazakhstan, we'll get ripped open. 

You're right. Leigh Griffiths could really solve our issues at right back. 

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

You're right. Leigh Griffiths could really solve our issues at right back. 

McTominay and Gilmour will be our two in there. Take your pick from half a dozen others for the other central spot if we’re going with our 4-5-1. I see Cochrane is starting today, I wouldn’t rule out him.

Edited by er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Since when has Leigh Griffiths been a top player?

He's barely passable as an average one.

He's not a top player but he is a good striker and can do a job at international level as shown by his performances in the latter half of the last campaign. 

14 hours ago, Chripper said:

Armstrong has played 30 games this season for saints, thats hardly "struggling" to break into the team imo. Either way you seem to have a really pessimistic view of our players when the truth is we are small nation who will always struggle to have a first team of players playing at the top six in England. These are just the facts of life, what we do have is players who play at the lower end of the epl and Celtic players who are for the most part the standard of lower end epl players. For international football this is a good enough level to be playing at and with good management they can beat other similar standard teams and go to the euros. You have extremely unrealistic expectations and tbh this will only result in constant disappointment. 

Bates on the bench and Hamburg losing again. I'm not saying their drop in form is to do with dropping Bates but they seem (from the outside) to have adopted a back three which doesn't seem to work.

Hearts, at long last, are giving (a couple of) the youngsters an opportunity again.

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Armstrong has played 30 games this season for saints, thats hardly "struggling" to break into the team imo. Either way you seem to have a really pessimistic view of our players when the truth is we are small nation who will always struggle to have a first team of players playing at the top six in England. These are just the facts of life, what we do have is players who play at the lower end of the epl and Celtic players who are for the most part the standard of lower end epl players. For international football this is a good enough level to be playing at and with good management they can beat other similar standard teams and go to the euros. You have extremely unrealistic expectations and tbh this will only result in constant disappointment. 

He's played 90 minutes five times this season in the EPL, sorry but that is struggling.

The only hope in hell is that we get a decent/great manager like Northern Ireland have to get us to punch above our weight.

One thing Chripper does't have is unrealistic expectations in fact he has no expectations. 

9 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Bates on the bench and Hamburg losing again. I'm not saying their drop in form is to do with dropping Bates but they seem (from the outside) to have adopted a back three which doesn't seem to work.

Hearts, at long last, are giving (a couple of) the youngsters an opportunity again.

Hamburg have managed to drop down to fourth place which won't even get them into the play offs. looks like Bates might not be in the Bundesliga next year, let alone playing

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's played 90 minutes five times this season in the EPL, sorry but that is struggling.

The only hope in hell is that we get a decent/great manager like Northern Ireland have to get us to punch above our weight.

One thing Chripper does't have is unrealistic expectations in fact he has no expectations. 

How many games has he started?

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tbh it's not great but it's not exactly terrible either considering he's been subbed on a fair bit as well. Next season will be a big test as you would hope he will get more games. He's still a good player imo and he should really be playing every week for a lower epl team and he's easily a starter for us imo.

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Stats can be bent to back up most arguments. It's rare for him to start a match and complete 90 minutes. This to me is the definition of struggling.

So, what you're saying is that because just because we're a small nation we shouldn't have any expectations? Do you really want to play that card? Its a dangerous one. Uruguay (Pop: 3.4m) have won the World Cup twice (OK. It was a long time ago, but it's not that long ago they got to a semi), how about Iceland (Pop: 340k) who have done more in one world cup than we ever have. Croatia (Pop: 4.1m) produce superstars and they always go far in world cups. Denmark (5.7m) won a European Championship.

We could have the population of China and we would still not do anything on the football landscape. It's not about population, it's about a blueprint on how to deal with football. Our blueprint is wait till kids are 15/16 and then impart coaching onto them, whereas other nations do it when kids are 5+. 

I believe that would be the equal of Croatia and Uruguay if our FA and our clubs worked together for the good of Scottish football. Is that's an unrealistic expectation then it tells you more about Scottish football than it does I.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

Stats can be bent to back up most arguments. It's rare for him to start a match and complete 90 minutes. This to me is the definition of struggling.

So, what you're saying is that because just because we're a small nation we shouldn't have any expectations? Do you really want to play that card? Its a dangerous one. Uruguay (Pop: 3.4m) have won the World Cup twice (OK. It was a long time ago, but it's not that long ago they got to a semi), how about Iceland (Pop: 340k) who have done more in one world cup than we ever have. Croatia (Pop: 4.1m) produce superstars and they always go far in world cups. Denmark (5.7m) won a European Championship.

We could have the population of China and we would still not do anything on the football landscape. It's not about population, it's about a blueprint on how to deal with football. Our blueprint is wait till kids are 15/16 and then impart coaching onto them, whereas other nations do it when kids are 5+. 

I believe that would be the equal of Croatia and Uruguay if our FA and our clubs worked together for the good of Scottish football. Is that's an unrealistic expectation then it tells you more about Scottish football than it does I.

You are pulling out exceptions to the rule, there's about 4 or 5 countries who have small populations similar to us that do really well and punch above their weight in recent years. The vast majority of small nations achieve very little and have relatively poor teams. In the 70s,80s and to a lesser extent the 90s we were one of those countries punching above our weight(we qualified for world cups that only had 16 teams). The hope is we can return to that level where we qualify for tournaments but to expect us to match Croatia's or Uruguays achievements is  very unlikely, its not impossible but still very unlikely.

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbh it's not great but it's not exactly terrible either considering he's been subbed on a fair bit as well. Next season will be a big test as you would hope he will get more games. He's still a good player imo and he should really be playing every week for a lower epl team and he's easily a starter for us imo.

Been subbed off nearly as often as he has been subbed on, not sure what that means lol