Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 121 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

21 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Made this point before but Gary Lineker argued against home-grown quotas. His reason? Cream always rises to the top. If Gilmour is that good he will do at chelsea what ampadu, Hudson-Odoi have done. Then there is the boy Foden at Man City. Going out on loan seems like you are being politely shown the door. Did Messi ever go out on loan?

A loan for a young player (i.e. 17-19) is not being shown the door. A loan at 20-22 is closer to that although it depends what clubs are involved (see Ryan Christie). 

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think it shows how poor the English championship is, most times I have seen mcburnie he's been pretty poor.

Championship is similar to Scottish Prem. Still not many scored as many as him this season. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think it shows how poor the English championship is, most times I have seen mcburnie he's been pretty poor.

Depends what you are comparing it with really, Would be very surprised if Aberdeen, Rangers or Kilmarnock were nearer the top than the bottom of the league, certainly no were near the playoffs. On the other hand Rotherham and Millwall would struggle in Serie A or La Liga.

The top players in the Championship are on another planet compared with any one out side of Celtic in Scotland. Even a championship bench warmer  like Oliver Burke looks good in the SPL.

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Depends what you are comparing it with really, Would be very surprised if Aberdeen, Rangers or Kilmarnock were nearer the top than the bottom of the league, certainly no were near the playoffs. On the other hand Rotherham and Millwall would struggle in Serie A or La Liga.

The top players in the Championship are on another planet compared with any one out side of Celtic in Scotland. Even a championship bench warmer  like Oliver Burke looks good in the SPL.

Tbh I think there are good players in the championship and it isn't that bad a standard but there is alot of average/poor players as well. Trying to use Oliver Burke as a example is a bit unfair as there are examples of average players going down south and doing well like teemu pukki who is top scorer or Barrie McKay who started well at notts forest or Kenny mclean. Imo the standard of the top six in Scotland bar Celtic is similar to English championship. I reckon rangers this season would be in a playoff place and the rest would be mid table or lower. Bottom half of the spl would be league 1 imo. My main problem with mcburnie is anytime I have watched him he has been pretty poor and has struggled to even control a ball. Albeit some of these games were when Swansea were in the epl and were battling against much better teams but I have also watched him for Scotland seniors and u21s and he has mostly been crap and useless. On the plus side he does find the net in the English championship and he's only 22.

30 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The same Ollie Burke who was clearly too good for the Championship a couple of years ago. Don’t get me wrong, the Championship has, on average, better players than the SPFL, but singling out Burke is daft. 

9 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

20th goal of the season for McBurnie.

He's still only 22 and I'm sure he will score goals for us at some point. 

We simply cannot afford to overlook his scoring record just because he's not been great in the handful of matches he's played for a terrible Scotland team. 

6 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

We simply cannot afford to overlook his scoring record just because he's not been great in the handful of matches he's played for a terrible Scotland team. 

If we were willing to Griffiths and Forrest time, mcburnie should get the same.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Berra is fit again I see.

Would have him back in the June squad. Get some more experience and leadership at CB.

Yay! We're saved. ;)

21 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Thats very poor. but lots of free transfers and loan players

With every year it's getting worse.

The SFA must put a restriction on how many homegrown players are in a squad and in match-day squads.

*Correction, there was actually four. A Hearts foreigner pulled up in the warm up.

I don’t understand hearts & Levein.

last year he had an exciting young team & full of Scots.

this year a terrible team full of journeyman and the young players picked last year aren’t even on the bench normally.

and they’re definitely worse.

Levein is a helmet. 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

this year a terrible team full of journeyman and the young players picked last year aren’t even on the bench normally.

Levein is a helmet. 

They're definitely worse.

It's like he's new to football entirely. It really is.

McDonald and Cochrane were actually looking like future internationals, and in the recent future. 

In fairness, though, those two look like classy footballers who play their football on the deck, whoever watched the game this afternoon (I watched 30 mins of it before I got bored) would see that Levein has one tactic, and that's hitting it up aimlessly to the big striker.

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Levein is a helmet. 

Have they tried against rangers this season? Terrible performance.