Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 119 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sorry but suggesting every one was screaming for Fraser is wrong.

He played in five different positions last year including his last two at right back I remember getting excited about that prospect.

I doubt if many of us had him down as a sure starter in games last season

First game that really excited me with him at premier level was a 3-3 draw v Arsenal when he won a penalty, set up another and gave Arsenal the run around.

That was January 2017 so a while ago but does fit in with the 2018 qualifying of two halves when it started with Strachan for some reason keeping faith with the old guard....1-1 v Lithuania, 3-0 in Slovakia and when he did mix things up afterwards the team went on a very decent run and had good results home and away.

7 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

It does seem there has been a culling lately of the players who's commitment has been questioned here.

Ritchie, Matt Phillips and Cairney haven't been in the last few squads even though they're all in best 20 + Scotland players list and have remained consistant for their clubs, o.k Cairney less so in a very difficult season for Fulham but Ritchie has been excellent lately for Newcastle.

Snodgrass another one that hasn't been fully explained unless I missed that article.

Not saying all these should be starters btw but there's a good level of top level experience to use there to back up the younger elements of the squad. Snoddy is a brilliant pro for example so think some of the younger players would enjoy having him around the squad giving them confidence.

We'll probably see some of them again when a new manager comes in.

I don't think Phillips has been left of any squad he has been fit for.

Snodgrass has asked to take a break I think.

The other two are just another two who we get no explanation for.

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't think Eddie Howe had a clue what to do with him last year, he knew he had a player but wasn't sure if he was left sided, right sided, defensive or attacking.

I probably didn't notice the call up shouts as I didn't see him as some one who should have been a definite squad member with a serious chance of starting.. I was way behind on that one.

Going to tell me were to play Tierney if Robertson plays left back and I'll mark it in my Diary. Left sided central defender, right back or left sided midfield in a central midfield of three

If they both turn up they are probably better than what we have in half a dozen position and McLeish will play them both.

I'd play him RB because our options are so limited. I think he's done well there in the past and knows Forrest well so that should help too. 

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I suppose leaving Robertson at left back and playing Tierney as left side of a midfield three might be better

I'm more tempted by this one. If anything, Tierney spends more of his time in the opposition half looking to attack and play in passes and crosses because of how Celtic dominate possession in most of their domestic games. Even when he's challenging to win back the ball it's probably a lot higher up the park than Robertson. So it does feel like Robertson plays more as an actual full back who has the athleticism to burst forward, but Tierney may be more used to operating further up the park for longer spells. He also appears to be more two-footed so again may be more suited to adapt to another position. As mentioned by someone else, Alaba for Austria for example.

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bain

someone---------- someone--someone ------------Tierney

----------Mcginn-----------Mctominay --------Robertson

---Forrest ------------------------------------------------------------Fraser

someone

It's funny but before Robertson got established at Liverpool the consensus was to play him left midfield in front of Tierney at left back. No one even thought about playing Fraser on the left then

Hate playing players out of position but Robertson has been poor since being given the captaincy and a more central role might help. Tierney and Robertson are certainly good cover for Fraser.

Would say McKenna is the only player who might be good enough to replace a "some one" at the moment, although I do like like the prospect of Mcburnie as the forward "someone"

Bates Souttar and all our other defenders have done nothing but look good in poor standard football and the nearest thing we have to a right back is still probably Paterson 

Whit you on about? Fraser always plays on the left. He is actually better on his right foot but with someone like Robertson overlapping, he’s perfect for the left wing role. Forrest used to play on the left under Lennon and Deila but he’s much better on the right. 

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Whit you on about? Fraser always plays on the left. He is actually better on his right foot but with someone like Robertson overlapping, he’s perfect for the left wing role. Forrest used to play on the left under Lennon and Deila but he’s much better on the right. 

Don't have the stats but he played more than twice on the right  last season in fact more than four times as he played right mid and right wing at least once as well as his two games at right back As I said it's just this season he has has established his best position which isn't up for debate any more.

Remember Robertson only became a regular starter for Liverpool after Christmas last season, which was why what position he played for Scotland was still up for discussion.

What I am asking is how to get the best out of our three left sided players who are our best along with McTominay

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don't think Phillips has been left of any squad he has been fit for.

Snodgrass has asked to take a break I think.

The other two are just another two who we get no explanation for.

There was an interview with Snoddy in November where he discussed his mother being ill and wanted to use the international breaks to spend time with family.

Dont think there’s been any update since then.

1 hour ago, Rab The Crab said:

There was an interview with Snoddy in November where he discussed his mother being ill and wanted to use the international breaks to spend time with family.

Really?

If that's the case then to hell with Scotland. Some things are way more important.

12 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

Story I heard was that he asked previously to be left out so he could use that time to visit his mother. Eck begged him to play, so he agreed. Snoddy wasn't even used off bench. Can't remember the game but I think the next squad he told Eck to do one as he'd put the call up ahead of his family with good intentions and was annoyed with no even playing.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Unless he's being kept for the Barcelona game 

Yeah, that appears to be the popular opinion, but the West Ham game is a must win to salvage something from their season. To bench a player that's red-hot is just... for lack of a better word, stupid.

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Squad rotation 

It's funny how Fred and Pogba don't get rotated... maybe it's because they cost £150m...

Just now, Chripper said:

Yeah, that appears to be the popular opinion, but the West Ham game is a must win to salvage something from their season. To bench a player that's red-hot is just... for lack of a better word, stupid.

It's funny how Fred and Pogba don't get rotated... maybe it's because they cost £150m...

They’ll expect to dominate possession against West Ham, possibly why Mata is in instead, they’ll need McTominay’s defensive skills against Barcelona.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

They’ll expect to dominate possession against West Ham, possibly why Mata is in instead, they’ll need McTominay’s defensive skills against Barcelona.

They'll most probably play with a three man central midfield against Barca with Fred as the anchorman.

The lad is 22 years of age. I'm sure he can play 3 games in a week, Fred and Pogba will.

I'm not buying any excuses, it's pretty clear to me that OGS doesn't rate McTominay. After the PSG match he was dropped for the next three matches, losing two of them.

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

They'll most probably play with a three man central midfield against Barca with Fred as the anchorman.

The lad is 22 years of age. I'm sure he can play 3 games in a week, Fred and Pogba will.

I'm not buying any excuses, it's pretty clear to me that OGS doesn't rate McTominay. After the PSG match he was dropped for the next three matches, losing two of them.

Starting him in arguably their biggest game of the season to date is a strange way of not rating him.