Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 116 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

36 minutes ago, SteveMcD said:

Tait for Motherwell as well as McGregor for Rangers. 

37 minutes ago, SteveMcD said:

Tait for Motherwell as well as McGregor for Rangers. 

31 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I said eligible. McGregor is retired.

Tait's Scottish? I always thought Tait was English for some reason.

Tait is from Galashiels

Aldred is also eligible, while Gillespie is English. Added to that, we brought Cadden and Scott off the bench...so 7 Scots were used by Motherwell on Sunday, not that it done us any good.

22 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Tait is from Galashiels

Aldred is also eligible, while Gillespie is English. Added to that, we brought Cadden and Scott off the bench...so 7 Scots were used by Motherwell on Sunday, not that it done us any good.

Then I stand corrected. 

Even if it's 7 it's still a flimsy number.

If the SFA really cared they'd introduce a cap on foreigners or a mandate that teams have to have a certain amount of homegrown players (that they've brought through the ranks) in the matchday squad.

Where are the SFA? What exactly are they doing? What do they do? On a weekly basis there's a crowd incident at domestic level and they're nowhere to be seen. McLeish had an upsetting incident during a team meeting, leaving the players confused. And yet no statement

Do they even exist? I'm starting to wonder.

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Then I stand corrected. 

Even if it's 7 it's still a flimsy number.

If the SFA really cared they'd introduce a cap on foreigners or a mandate that teams have to have a certain amount of homegrown players (that they've brought through the ranks) in the matchday squad.

Where are the SFA? What exactly are they doing? What do they do? On a weekly basis there's a crowd incident at domestic level and they're nowhere to be seen. McLeish had an upsetting incident during a team meeting, leaving the players confused. And yet no statement

Do they even exist? I'm starting to wonder.

No 'even' about it...it was 7. 50% of the players who took to the field for Motherwell were eligible for Scotland.

Is it flimsy, I'm not so sure it is to be honest, I watched Liverpool play at the weekend, and they started with one Englishman and brought on another two. 

I've noticed that you've mentioned this 'cap' on foreign players, I'm not even sure that is legally possible. Is it?

3 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

No 'even' about it...it was 7. 50% of the players who took to the field for Motherwell were eligible for Scotland.

Is it flimsy, I'm not so sure it is to be honest, I watched Liverpool play at the weekend, and they started with one Englishman and brought on another two. 

I've noticed that you've mentioned this 'cap' on foreign players, I'm not even sure that is legally possible. Is it?

In my initial post I said "eligible" and "started": Tait, Aldred, Jack, Hastie, Turbull and Campbell.

That's only 6.

To be fair, you could say that about all of the teams in the top 6 in England. On an aside, though, look at what the England youth sides have been in the past 5 years of so. They may not be playing their kids, but there's no doubt that their kids are coming through and they're getting better. Just look at the boy that's with Chelsea, they aren't playing him on a regular basis so odds are that he's going to join a top side on the continent.

Putting a cap on the amount of foreign players a team can buy is illegal, but the law doesn't say anything about how many a team has to play. That's the loophole. It's like the old European Cup three foreigner rule, when teams has to choose which three foreign players to play. So, under the rule that I'm citing, a team can buy as many foreigners as they like (as long as the have enough homegrown players in their squad) but they can only play a certain amount of them.

This would force teams to develop their own players, as the homegrown players would have to come from their academy.

40 minutes ago, Chripper said:

In my initial post I said "eligible" and "started": Tait, Aldred, Jack, Hastie, Turbull and Campbell.

That's only 6.

To be fair, you could say that about all of the teams in the top 6 in England. On an aside, though, look at what the England youth sides have been in the past 5 years of so. They may not be playing their kids, but there's no doubt that their kids are coming through and they're getting better. Just look at the boy that's with Chelsea, they aren't playing him on a regular basis so odds are that he's going to join a top side on the continent.

Putting a cap on the amount of foreign players a team can buy is illegal, but the law doesn't say anything about how many a team has to play. That's the loophole. It's like the old European Cup three foreigner rule, when teams has to choose which three foreign players to play. So, under the rule that I'm citing, a team can buy as many foreigners as they like (as long as the have enough homegrown players in their squad) but they can only play a certain amount of them.

This would force teams to develop their own players, as the homegrown players would have to come from their academy.

Is thjs loophole exercised in any other country? I don't think for a minute that we'd ever be able to enforce that

Just now, ONeils4oyarder said:

Is thjs loophole exercised in any other country? I don't think for a minute that we'd ever be able to enforce that

Not that I'm aware of.

There's a freedom of movement law, not a freedom of a football team has to play them law. As long as they're being paid then it's totally above board and legal.

They are being paid, but missing out on win bonuses, time on the pitch to impress...because they are foreigners. It wouldn't last a month, before someone lodged a complaint with a law firm.

Brexit might be the only way that this would ever see the light of day, and even then we'd never be able to restrict English, Welsh or Northern Irish players from earning their living here.

1 minute ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

They are being paid, but missing out on win bonuses, time on the pitch to impress...because they are foreigners. It wouldn't last a month, before someone lodged a complaint with a law firm.

Brexit might be the only way that this would ever see the light of day, and even then we'd never be able to restrict English, Welsh or Northern Irish players from earning their living here.

The law isn't a footballing law. You don't get a mechanic earning a bonus for fixing an engine or a Chef winning  bonus for making a stellar curry base.

7 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

You can go around and round in circles here, all you want, but there is no way that this would ever be brought in...I'd love to see it happen though to be fair, but legally it wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I don’t see a problem legally (the clubs would just have to share the win bonus amongst the whole squad and not the players who played) although the clubs would fight it regardless of what the SFA thought. I wonder if the clubs should have to pay compensation to the SPFL for not fielding players eligible for Scotland. That would mean clubs playing Scottish players would effectively get bonus money.

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t see a problem legally (the clubs would just have to share the win bonus amongst the whole squad and not the players who played) although the clubs would fight it regardless of what the SFA thought. I wonder if the clubs should have to pay compensation to the SPFL for not fielding players eligible for Scotland. That would mean clubs playing Scottish players would effectively get bonus money.

So we're now doing away with paying bonuses in this fantasy world?

Clubs pay bonuses to encourage players to compete firstly with each other for a starting place in the squad, and secondly for getting points on the board. 

The only way this nonsense would ever be taken seriously is if we were an Independent country that restricted the movement of people inwardly.

I'm actually raging at myself for getting drawn into this 😂

2 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

So we're now doing away with paying bonuses in this fantasy world?

Clubs pay bonuses to encourage players to compete firstly with each other for a starting place in the squad, and secondly for getting points on the board. 

The only way this nonsense would ever be taken seriously is if we were an Independent country that restricted the movement of people inwardly.

I'm actually raging at myself for getting drawn into this 😂

Clubs would work out how to incentivise their squad, don’t worry about that. I hope that helps.

23 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

I reckon he will go out on loan next season and it won’t be long till we see him in the full squad. He is already better than some midfielders that have been called up for Scotland in recent times.

If you look thru the players that Chelsea shifts out on loans, it's not their youth players. It's generally ex-youth players now in their early 20s, that they're hoping to shift for a few million. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gilmour played no first team football in the next 2 years. So maybe in 2022.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

If you look thru the players that Chelsea shifts out on loans, it's not their youth players. It's generally ex-youth players now in their early 20s, that they're hoping to shift for a few million. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gilmour played no first team football in the next 2 years. So maybe in 2022.

Don’t want to tempt fate, but I genuinely believe he is too good to be stuck in the u23’s for another season or two. Hoping him and Hornby both get loan moves next season, if the first team is still a bit out of reach.

55 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Was thinking about this earlier....in a couple of years we could conceivably have an international midfield with players playing for Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal/Tottenham, with the others made up from Celtic. 

I'd say it's only slightly less likely that we'll have a midfield with no players from any of those clubs, so...

7 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

You can go around and round in circles here, all you want, but there is no way that this would ever be brought in...I'd love to see it happen though to be fair, but legally it wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

It would only be illegal if the player wasn't being paid a wage. 

In no law does it stipulate that a worker has to be paid a bonus.

And we're talking about footballers here, it's not like they don't know where their next meal is coming from.

In legal terms there wouldn't be a problem.

What is amusing is that in the space of a few days fans on this forum have at least come up with some fresh inventive ideas to bring players through and improve the national team. Have the SFA actually ever even thought of these things? Have the SFA ever actually shown any initiative? It is a glaring issue the lack of opportunities for young Scottish players in our top league and they have done nothing to tackle the issue. I actually think they will introduce a homegrown player rule here eventually, but only because they will finally realise England are a step ahead and started this already. Since our game only ever seems to copy everything they do down there it will probably happen. Which may not be a  bad thing these days as they seem to finally be getting it right down there, but christ the men in charge at the SFA really are still in the stone age. No plan, no ideas, no initiative

6 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

What is amusing is that in the space of a few days fans on this forum have at least come up with some fresh inventive ideas to bring players through and improve the national team. Have the SFA actually ever even thought of these things? Have the SFA ever actually shown any initiative? It is a glaring issue the lack of opportunities for young Scottish players in our top league and they have done nothing to tackle the issue. I actually think they will introduce a homegrown player rule here eventually, but only because they will finally realise England are a step ahead and started this already. Since our game only ever seems to copy everything they do down there it will probably happen. Which may not be a  bad thing these days as they seem to finally be getting it right down there, but christ the men in charge at the SFA really are still in the stone age. No plan, no ideas, no initiative

I am sure that the SFA have no doubt put their "top man" on the job

Image result for ben turpin

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

I was actually going to say the same thing.

The difference is that we care. We may not all like each other or agree all the time, but we all want what is best for the Scotland national team and the Scottish leagues. The SFA don't care. I know that it's easy to take aim at them, but they make it easy! What are they doing to improve the standards of the Scottish youth? What are they doing to improve the national team? What are they doing to improve the leagues?

They've been sitting on their hands for decades now. They have done absolutely nothing of note. All they do is sit in their offices at Hampden, collect their wages and take us all for absolute mugs.

The SFA just do not give SFA.

It really is rather scandalous the way the SFA is run. For Rod Petrie to be able to waltz into power competely unappossed is unacceptable. What is this man going to do to change the face of Scottish Football. What fresh ideas and initiatives is he going to bring to the table. Absolutely nothing. He has been number 2 at the SFA for long enough and been involved in every disastrous decision made in those offices during that time. It is a disgrace he has somehow now been promoted! The way a president is elected in the SFA must change. There must be a selection of candidates, with ideas, plans forward thinking and a vision and these candidates must be whittled down to two or three and voted in by board members AND fans. The fans have the right to have an input into deciding who sits at the top table as it is our money paying their wages. It must change. How we bring about change is another question