Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 111 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

22 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Anyone know why McTominay wasn't even in the squad today? Some papers were predicting he'd start ahead of Matic, but no sign of him at all.

I don't think the manager rates him.

I get the impressed that McTominay was only playing because Matic was injured, the thing that backs that up is that Matic got jettisoned back into the lineup the moment he regained fitness. It's bizarre as McTominay looks so much better than Matic.

6 hours ago, Chripper said:

Look at Spain, Belgium, France, etc, even England. Those nations focus on proper progression at grassroots level. This is a good base to start off.

All layers of the Scottish football system should be as one. There should be a clear vision for the way forward for Scottish football, a way to improve the standard of football, a way to begin producing great young players and a way to improve the national team The way that is now is a complete and utter shambles and the SFA and the clubs aren't interested in arresting matters.

If you want a detailed outline then I'd be happy to write one up.

Chripper, is your real name Henry McLeish?

26 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I get the impressed that McTominay was only playing because Matic was injured, the thing that backs that up is that Matic got jettisoned back into the lineup the moment he regained fitness. It's bizarre as McTominay looks so much better than Matic.

Man Utd support certainly don't rate Matic , some one on here suggested Mctominay still wasn't 100% I am going to assume that is the case and that he will be starting games soon.

10 hours ago, Chripper said:

I don't see anyone coming through that could step up to that kind of level. Maybe Billy Gilmour, but it's silly to hang so much hope on a 17 year old. Cochrane and McDonald looked excellent last season, unfortunately, Levein thought that Hearts would progress more with English journeymen.

I bet he'll do the exact same to Brandon and Morrison who have lately being getting games for Hearts.

He'll buy another six or seven average journeymen and punt Cochrane, McDonald, Brandon and Morrison out on loan to the division below or into the reserves.

The excuse being "we need experience in the team" :mad:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

19 hours ago, Chripper said:

Look at Spain, Belgium, France, etc, even England. Those nations focus on proper progression at grassroots level. This is a good base to start off.

All layers of the Scottish football system should be as one. There should be a clear vision for the way forward for Scottish football, a way to improve the standard of football, a way to begin producing great young players and a way to improve the national team The way that is now is a complete and utter shambles and the SFA and the clubs aren't interested in arresting matters.

If you want a detailed outline then I'd be happy to write one up.

If you don't mind. I believe we need to let our voice be heard, changing managers is not the answer to ALL our issues and we need to speak up for the good of the game.

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I bet he'll do the exact same to Brandon and Morrison who have lately being getting games for Hearts.

He'll buy another six or seven average journeymen and punt Cochrane, McDonald, Brandon and Morrison out on loan to the division below or into the reserves.

The excuse being "we need experience in the team" :mad:

I wouldn't doubt it, to be honest.

6 hours ago, romanticscot said:

If you don't mind. I believe we need to let our voice be heard, changing managers is not the answer to ALL our issues and we need to speak up for the good of the game.

When did I say that we need to sack the manager? That's probably the very last thing I'd do in order of things to do. 

I'd suggest you read my "mutiny" thread:

"What would be more beneficial, a protest or a boycott? Or both, as I doubt very much that Scotland would ever play in front of a completely empty Hampden. Apparently the Irish FA are going to be hit by a fine because their fans throwing tennis balls on the court.as a protest against members of their football association.

I think it's about time we did something similar. The SFA love money so I doubt that they'd enjoy being hit with a fine, no matter how much it is. A boycott would also hit them in the pocket. Banners, songs, etc, it all adds us. The SFA can't ignore us forever if we make out voices heard."

Dearie me, people are defensive on this board. Did I say YOU were wanting a new manager? I am talking generally, there are a few faction developing - some who are saying sack the manager, some saying its the SFA, some sayings its the players.  I am for changing our manager but I know that wont address our long term issues.  

I replied to your tennis ball suggestion and I took that as a means to raise our voices for a new manager, a one time fine THEY might swallow but if attendances are down, due to the team under performing that's a hit PLUS the inevitable fine says "oi, listen to us or you can see more of these", BUT we need to have it documented on what we are trying to say, which is why I am asking you and anyone else who has an opinion to start formulating and coming to a consensus on what we are actually trying to say. 

28 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Dearie me, people are defensive on this board. Did I say YOU were wanting a new manager? I am talking generally, there are a few faction developing - some who are saying sack the manager, some saying its the SFA, some sayings its the players.  I am for changing our manager but I know that wont address our long term issues.  

I replied to your tennis ball suggestion and I took that as a means to raise our voices for a new manager, a one time fine THEY might swallow but if attendances are down, due to the team under performing that's a hit PLUS the inevitable fine says "oi, listen to us or you can see more of these", BUT we need to have it documented on what we are trying to say, which is why I am asking you and anyone else who has an opinion to start formulating and coming to a consensus on what we are actually trying to say. 

Yes, there are defensive and touchy people on this board, and with this hissy fit you've taken the crown. Congrats. Four all capped words. 

I agree, though, the worse thing that can happen is nothing. We don't this anger to vanish into thin air, it has to grow and grow and it has to manifest itself in a way that we make our collective feelings known, and ultimately, we get change within the steps of Hampden and that the entire circus of Scottish football is physically ripped up and we begin again.

A simple manager change will do nothing.

50 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Worked not badly for Killie.

True, but we're talking about an entire football association here, not just a club. At club level a manager can have more influence than an international manager ever will. When Strachan was in charge of Scotland, and even when Berti was in charge, they gave the SFA advice on how to improve things. Both were ignored. 

If we got thing right at grassroots level and we actually had a league structure that works it would aid the manager and we wouldn't even need a top class manager. I'm fairly certain that Gordon Strachan would've gotten us to a finals if we had better players.

So yes, can we have your manager, please?

4 minutes ago, Chripper said:

True, but we're talking about an entire football association here, not just a club. At club level a manager can have more influence than an international manager ever will.

True - he took over the exact same squad as McCulloch had (which was bottom of league with no league wins in October) and had an instant impact, so much so we finished 5th with ease in the end. In the short term changing the manager is needed. Long term, massive changed at the SFA are needed.

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

So yes, can we have your manager, please?

No.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

True - he took over the exact same squad as McCulloch had (which was bottom of league with no league wins in October) and had an instant impact, so much so we finished 5th with ease in the end. In the short term changing the manager is needed. Long term, massive changed at the SFA are needed.

He's a top manager, always has been. His impact with Kilmarnock has been remarkable. West Brom sacked him despite finishing in their highest position ever in the EPL, now look where they are.  Didn't Lee Clark manage Kilmarnock, too? I have no idea how he keeps getting management jobs, useless manager.

But yes, the SFA need an absolute overhaul. It's not impossible, but it looks unlikely unless there's changes at the top.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No.

Can't blame you.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

He's a top manager, always has been. His impact with Kilmarnock has been remarkable. West Brom sacked him despite finishing in their highest position ever in the EPL, now look where they are.  Didn't Lee Clark manage Kilmarnock, too? I have no idea how he keeps getting management jobs, useless manager.

But yes, the SFA need an absolute overhaul. It's not impossible, but it looks unlikely unless there's changes at the top.

Can't blame you.

Lee Clark is one of the biggest chancers I've ever met. 

Bates starting again tonight for Hamburg in the German Cup, and at 2-0 up they look to be heading into the semifinals. Not bad. Hopefully a sign they can cut it in the Bundesliga next season, and hopefully Bates is a starter then too. 

On 4/1/2019 at 1:38 AM, Chripper said:

McTominay starts tonight. Matic on the bench. Good times. Hopefully he holds on to the position now like Robbo did at Liverpool. 

49 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Lee Clark is one of the biggest chancers I've ever met. 

So, I take It that he didn't charm you?

He was an OK footballer, but as a manager he's hopeless.

34 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

McTominay starts tonight. Matic on the bench. Good times. Hopefully he holds on to the position now like Robbo did at Liverpool. 

Matic's career is winding down, and to be honest, he looked completely checked out whenever I've seen him play.

But yes, hopefully.

27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Steve Clarke has slagged the SFA a fair bit. Can't see him taking the job tbh.

Or maybe he'd want to be the Trojan Horse and shake things up a bit. Hopefully.

45 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Steve Clarke has slagged the SFA a fair bit. Can't see him taking the job tbh.

Means nothing, levein was always at loggerheads with the SFA and he took the job.