Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 109 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, Marky said:

As critical as I was of Robertson the other night against Bayern Munich, he was absolutely superb today.

I do accept that there’s a big difference between playing against Fulham and playing against BM mind you. It probably just highlights what we already know that although being a massively improved defender, he is still much better going forward than he is defending. Therefore in games where he is going to be spending more time defending than attacking, then we’re more likely to see his weaknesses exposed.

Today though, he did whatever limited defending he had to do well and was superb going forward,

Shows that football opinions are like snowflakes, no two are alike.

I thought Robertson (aside from the mistake that lead to the Munich goal) was absolutely superb.

Just checked the Liverpool Echo and the Guardian and he got 7 out of 10 in each.

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

McGinn looking like a force of nature at the moment. Think on a good night for him I genuinely think he could rattle the likes of the Belgians. Unfortunately as we all know too prone to a careless pass and first touch. He's got to be in EPL next season one way or another.

People are touting him to play as an anchorman but that's Russian Roulette. I wouldn't trust him in a midfield two, either, for the same reason. I'd either play him in a midfield three (as the other two will be able to cover for his mistakes) or just behind the striker(s).

On 3/16/2019 at 3:15 PM, McTeeko said:

Fletcher scores again - 5th goal in 6 games. Hitting good club form but not in squad due to ‘managing injury’ 😏

Right - now I thought that under Fifa rules, clubs had to release players for competitive internationals. And I thought they couldn't play for their clubs under the 48 hour rule? Could you see this happen to Engerlund?

4 minutes ago, JECK said:

McGinn looking like a force of nature at the moment. Think on a good night for him I genuinely think he could rattle the likes of the Belgians. Unfortunately as we all know too prone to a careless pass and first touch. He's got to be in EPL next season one way or another.

Look McGinn had a few dodgy moments in a couple of the Nations League games plus that big error in the friendly v Belgium, but he has improved a lot at Villa since then to add to the fantastic qualities he had already shown in Scotland. We need to give this guy a chance to show us what he can do now and how he has improved, he can set the tone for us in Midfield against any opposition. He is probably the most complete midfielder we have and by far the best ball winner we have in there. He won't dictate the tempo of a game but hopefully McGregor and McTominay have enough about them to do that for us and let McGinn to do his thing. He can be a big player for us, his energy alone improves our team ten fold and that along with his tenacity probably sums up the way Scotland should be playing football

9 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Shows that football opinions are like snowflakes, no two are alike.

I thought Robertson (aside from the mistake that lead to the Munich goal) was absolutely superb.

Just checked the Liverpool Echo and the Guardian and he got 7 out of 10 in each.

The mistake he made for the goal he made at least two or three other times during the game, but wasn’t punished.One of the benefits of playing alongside top class defenders and sadly not a luxury he will be afforded while playing for Scotland. I thought generally his positional play was off against BM and his distribution wasn’t as good as it normally is.

You’re right though, we all see games through different eyes and in fairness to Robbo, I’m judging him by his own exceptionally high standards.

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Right - now I thought that under Fifa rules, clubs had to release players for competitive internationals. And I thought they couldn't play for their clubs under the 48 hour rule? Could you see this happen to Engerlund?

You’re probably right,  but unfortunately there would be absolutely no long term mileage in the SFA invoking such a rule and creating bad blood with the club in question.

And no, I couldn’’t see it happening in England because English players generally want to play for England.

Edited by Marky

57 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Englands players want to play for them and their governing body has a back bone.

We have a bunch of wankers who see Scotland as a nuisance rather than an honour. We've got a manager and governing body who bend over and ask clubs to do as they please.

Fuck them all.

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Englands players want to play for them and their governing body has a back bone.

We have a bunch of wankers who see Scotland as a nuisance rather than an honour. We've got a manager and governing body who bend over and ask clubs to do as they please.

Fuck them all.

This.

we should start invoking that rule and see who really wants to play and fuk the rest of them.  

If the SFA ever do have the backbone to use the 48 hour rule, then I will give Big Ramy 1314  a long, sensual, open mouthed kiss.

That's how confident I am that they would never do it.

And let's be honest, do you honestly think club managers in Scotland and England are remotely scared of Alex McLeish slurring a warning down the phone to them ? Don't be fucking silly.

On 3/16/2019 at 6:16 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Blame the clubs and the SFA but if Fletcher wanted to play he’d be in the squad 

Apparently fletcher is gutted not to be in the squad.

the blame for this shambles lies with the management and the SFA. Mcliesh set his stall out when he started by giving players a break so it shouldn’t come as a surprise when players pull out and clubs try take advantage

On 3/16/2019 at 3:13 PM, McTeeko said:

Two shockers from Liam Cooper today - the first mistake resulting in Sheffield United’s goal, the second one resulting in his keeper getting sent off 😫

I’ve said for a long time he’s a donkey. He’s made to look half decent next to big Pontus. He’ll be punted if Leeds get up this year and rightly so.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:15 PM, McTeeko said:

Fletcher scores again - 5th goal in 6 games. Hitting good club form but not in squad due to ‘managing injury’ 😏

3 assists for Bannan too, making it 6 in 5 games for him.

Regardless of what some might think of him based on appearances 5 years ago, he's playing very well.

3 minutes ago, andyD said:

3 assists for Bannan too, making it 6 in 5 games for him.

Regardless of what some might think of him based on appearances 5 years ago, he's playing very well.

Bannan has pulled out so it doesn't matter what his form is like. 

23 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Bannan has pulled out so it doesn't matter what his form is like. 

Fletch isn't in the squad either.. so I guess him scoring 4 in 5 isn't anything anyone wants to know either.

You're being a bit silly tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

I really don't understand McGinn at all, looks class for Villa in the Championship but for us looks like he's still playing in the Scottish Championship! 

The England Championship is akin to our SPL. 

I wouldn't pay any attention to how a player plays in the English Championship as it's not that good.

If McGinn plays in the EPL he'll be either bottom of the league or mid-table. 

T

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

The England Championship is akin to our SPL. 

I wouldn't pay any attention to how a player plays in the English Championship as it's not that good.

If McGinn plays in the EPL he'll be either bottom of the league or mid-table. 

T

I am not disagreeing about the standard of league I actually agree, but there are some outstanding players in that league more so than in the SPL who look capable of playing in EPL and McGinn at the moment looks like one of them. For us he looks like a Scottish Championship player though and nowhere near EPL standard. Even bottom of EPL players are a good standard. Good enough to be playing in a Euros anyway